Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arcade Fire Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by VanMastaIteHab, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Kind of surprised about the love for Reflektor. I strongly dislike at least half of that record. The second half is better than the first, but it’s still a way weaker album than what came before it. Better than Everything Now though.

2. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I’m touch and go with Reflektor, pretty let down by Everything Now, but those first three albums would probably all be in my top fifty. Suburbs is close to the top spot.

3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'm a full on weirdo with this band because The Suburbs is my least favorite album by them

I like Everything Now, "We Don't Deserve Love" is such a gorgeous song.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

didn't vibe with Reflektor but that's partly because the marketing campaign was exhausting

Brent likes this.
  5. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m still a Neon Bible, guy.

Brent likes this.
  6. the rural juror Jul 31, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 31, 2020)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Funeral is a perfect album and one of the best debuts of all time. Suburbs and and Neon Bible are both excellent and not far behind. Reflektor is okay but really hit-or-miss. Everything Now is a turd except for two or three songs.

Jim and Mary V like this.
  7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s wild how amazing Creature Comfort is compared to the rest of the album.

Serenity Now, Barresi and Jim like this.
  8. I absolutely despised Everything Now bar a couple of songs but they were on a great run up to that point. Hopefully it was just a blip and they can recover from it, and Win Butler from Lead Singer Syndrome.

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I was never a fan of The Suburbs overall

Serenity Now likes this.
  11. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

There are three or four songs I like a lot but otherwise, it just didn’t grab me. Funeral and Neon Bible gripped me immediately front-to-back and that didn’t happen with this one. And I’ve fallen off AF in general since then really.

Brent likes this.
  13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol, just looked it up on Wikipedia and I had no idea it was inspired by the suburbs The Woodlands down here in Texas. I wouldn’t even call them suburbs, they’re one of the richest areas in Texas, haha

14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

The Suburbs is definitely my favorite Arcade Fire album. Funeral and Neon Bible have higher highs, but The Suburbs is such a great album-length statement.

Barresi and Carrow like this.
  15. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The final chorus of The Suburbs when Regine comes in is one of the most chilling moments in all of music.

16. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

My old friends
    I can remember when
    You cut your hair
    I never saw you again
    Now the cities we live in
    could be distant stars
    And I search for you
    in every passing car

Still one of my favorite stanzas along with:

The last defender
    of the sprawl
    Said "Well, where do you kids live?"

Well, sir,
    if you only knew
    what the answer's worth

Been searching
    every corner
    of the earth

Can’t believe it’s been a decade already. One of my favorites and I must have listened to this over and over that year. I loved the campaign behind it.

Barresi and Drewski like this.
  17. Their first two have better peaks but The Suburbs is probably my favourite Arcade Fire record.

18. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

minus the part about falling off AF since, I’m in the same place with suburbs. I have tried to make it not the case so many times! Just doesn’t pull me in. It defies logic too, because I agree with all of the positive observations about the record. It’s actually one of my biggest personal music mysteries haha

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  19. Serenity Now

Agree. I don’t follow this band in the press enough to know: what’s Win been doing? Showing off or something?

20. His entire vibe during the Everything Now cycle was way off honestly, part of the reason why I came down so hard on that album.

Serenity Now likes this.
  21. Serenity Now

Fair enough...all I can I remember fright now is a cereal or something from that rollout.

22. Nyquist

Listening back through The Suburbs this morning and put on the bonus tracks as well. Culture War in particular feels incredibly prescient and damning from the opening lines all the way back in 2010:

Now the future's staring at me
    Like a vision from the past
    And I know these crumbs they sold me
    They're never going to last
    Though we know the culture war
    We don't know what it's for but
    We've lived the southern strategy
    You know it's never going to last
    So keep it in the past

Jump to the end of the song after Winn spends the majority of it railing against conservatives for carrying on with their archaic politics and it gets particularly chilling to listen to now:

Now the kids are growing up so fast
    And paying for our crimes
    We'll be soldiers for you, mommy and daddy
    In your culture war
    We'll be soldiers for you, mommy and daddy
    But we don't know what it's for

We're soldiers now
    in the culture war
    We're soldiers now
    but we don't know what it's for

So tell me what's it for

You want it? You got it
    here's your culture war
    You want it? Now you've got it
    so tell me what's it for

23. Craig Manning, jordalsh and Nyquist like this.
  24. Nyquist

Craig Manning and Jason Tate like this.
  25. MJForumPoster

Regular

Jason Tate and Craig Manning like this.