Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arcade Fire Reportedly Playing to Smaller Crowds Than Expected

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Globe and Mail are reporting that Arcade Fire are having trouble filling arenas on their current tour:

Blame it on the new album or the marketing campaign for it, or on ticket prices and the popularity of rock music in 2017. Whatever the case, Arcade Fire is struggling to fill arenas on its North American tour.

Just 4,263 fans showed up for the Canadian band’s Quebec City show, 4,004 in Tampa, 5,614 in Austin, Tex., and 5,051 in Dallas, Billboard and Pollstar boxscore figures show. All of the venues have a capacity to seat roughly 10,000 to 20,000 people.

2. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

1/4 full or 3/4 empty? I’m a 3/4 empty kinda guy

bachna84, youwontknow and smowashere like this.
  3. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

This band seems to always struggle to fill arenas in non hip markets. Not sure why they aren't just playing large 3-5k theaters in the majority of cities while booking arenas in NYC/LA/Toronto.

Essie and MrAirplane like this.
  4. adamlikesdogs

@meaninglessritual

Because you'd have to pay me to watch five different versions of Infinite Content live.

5. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

To be fair, any band that's not Metallica or Iron Maiden is struggling to fill seats in Quebec City.

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

What a Shame! (1975 EP). 'Cause these guys are srsly one of the best live bands I've ever seen. And although I can't stand EN, this live show was bonkers good!

7. Felix Fidelis

It's all rock & roll.

Got some tickets through work and saw them during their Reflektor arena tour in the states. Show was great, but it was probably the emptiest arena concert I've been to.

8. youwontknow

It's just a reflektor.

coleslawed and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  9. Chuck!

Regular

The upper deck was closed at the Philly show, and all those ticketholders got freebies for the lower level (or floor, I guess). The show was incredible, though, and the production was unreal

The article notes that there are few venues available in-between 3k cap theaters and bigger arenas. They're in a tough spot.

10. youwontknow

Next album, complete rebranding.

A$AP Fire!

They're hip hop now...and adding shows 'cause they all sold out!

11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

That last point is key. Especially when it's a fall/winter tour and a lot of the venues in that capacity range are unavailable outdoor amphitheaters.

Chuck! likes this.
  12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Well, arena shows kind of suck and the new Arcade Fire album definitely sucks, so those two things combined are probably keeping people far away.

coleslawed and bachna84 like this.
  13. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Nah, I wouldn't say so. I enjoyed the new album but skipped them this time around. I've noticed that a lot of tours (aside from the MEGA tours) have been having trouble selling out because there are just SO many goddamn tours out there now. If you're an indie/rock/alt fan living in the vicinity of a major city, you likely have 2-3 options every WEEK so people are going to be pickier. I've lived in NYC for a decade and, on any given week, there's about 4-5 shows I'm interested in. Can't attend them all (though I used to try) while trying to maintain a life.

youwontknow likes this.
  14. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

This show was great. I got tickets for 20 bucks though so it wasn't expensive for me

15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Still haven't gotten their most recent album after everyones response.

16. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

To be fair they had trouble filling up reflektor dates too. We were able to buy tickets on stubhub for $8 that were originally worth $85. This time around secondary market tickets were also pretty low.

17. Jim

Trusted Supporter

saw them last week in chicago. this show ruled.

youwontknow likes this.