Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arcade Fire - Everything Now (July 28,2017) Album • Page 23

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

2. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Hmmm...it's okay?

3. Jim

Trusted Supporter

did not like that one bit

4. what the entire fuck happened to this band

Jim likes this.
  5. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Yeah, found the song okay. Feel it either hints towards a lesser Month of May type track, or is more indicative of the mid-album cuts in Everything Now. Neither fills me with optimism.

6. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Yeah that...wasn’t good. Although, I typically don’t like when new songs are first presented live. Most of the time I’d rather hear the studio version first.

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'd like to hear a studio version, but it was fine.

8. deflector

formerly pizzatime

how the mighty have fallen

that being said, I don't actually think this or everything now are bad exactly. just exceedingly tepid.

9. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Carrow likes this.
  10. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

11. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed and Dog Fish like this.
  12. ItsAndrew Mar 3, 2022
    (Last edited: Mar 3, 2022)
    ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

13. radiodead

Trusted

I’d love to be proven wrong more than anything but my expectations are pretty low here.

Jim and DaydreamNation like this.
  14. Carrow Mar 3, 2022
    (Last edited: Mar 3, 2022)
    they were far too up their own asses last time and that album fucking sucked so like, my expectations are underwater

worst thing is I'm not convinced they have it in them anymore

DaydreamNation likes this.
  15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

still think put your money on me and we don’t deserve love rule so hopefully they’ve got some magic left in them

radiodead likes this.
  16. Jim

Trusted Supporter

yeah I think I only liked those two, electric blue and creature comfort (mostly because it bangs live)

17. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Damn...band releases three masterpieces, one really great album, and one dud with a few really solid songs and everyone gives up? Sad!

18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I wouldn't say I've given up on them, but in my mind, it's been 12 years since their last good album, and that's a long time. People have definitely lost faith in artists with cold spells much shorter than that.

19. Will Butler's solo records have been great recently so maybe that'll carry over to this haha

20. radiodead

Trusted

Yea pretty much this. I also thought Reflektor was a big step back. I know it has its fans but it wasn’t for me (though there are at least 3 bangers on there, “Afterlife” is a top 5 AF song).

And I think EN actually has a handful of ok songs, it’s more of a concern with the direction they’ve been heading for the last decade. As Carrow said, I think they’ve lost the magic.

21. and Reflektor didn't need to be a double album either tbh but EN was an Arcade Garbage Fire

22. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

If you put together the best songs from Reflektor and EN you’d have a pretty good album, but still wouldn’t touch the first 3.

I haven’t necessarily given up either but I am not even remotely as excited for this as I was leading up to Reflektor.

23. manoverboard365

Trusted

The title track and Afterlife are stellar, and Supersymmetry is great too, but I honestly cant even remember how any other song on that album goes. On EN, I loved Creature Comfort, but the rest was kind of a snooze.

I'd like to hope this band has a similar trajectory as The Strokes; first two albums are classics, then a third that's still great but a step down, a couple of albums that have only a handful of tunes, and then finally a great comeback album.

Drewski likes this.
  24. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst is the only way to approach this haha.

25. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I liked Reflektor when it came out (honestly don’t know how) but I tried revisiting it last year and found it unbearable aside from 2-3 tracks. They were so high on their own supply on that album, dragging dull ideas out to interminable lengths, and running full tilt away from most of the things they are actually good at. Plus, I get the sense that James Murphy nourished their very worst tendencies. I think the bones of that album probably could have been pared down and refined into something decent (versus Everything Now, where I just think they had no good ideas) but Murphy was not the guy to help them do it.