Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arcade Fire – Everything Now • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 26, 2017.

1. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

So it's no bueno, eh?

2. Historically, I've never really been a fan of this band outside of The Suburbs, but I'll always give their new records just in case something clicks. That being said, this sounds about right. Good review Craig.

Craig Manning likes this.
  3. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

So, the singles are the best songs on the record? Guess I won't like it then, as those songs felt really uninspired and boring to me.

That's too bad. After Reflektor (which I like a few songs in it) I thought that they could take a more restrained approach to the new record and focus on few, but great songs; what I get from this review is that they most certainly didn't take this route.

I'll still spin this a few times though to see if there's anything worth salvaging for a best of playlist.

4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Ive been in the same boat as you for YEARS!

Where have you been when I'm trying to defend this opinion without any backup support??

5. Serenity Now

Disagree. There's as much overlap in sound/genre between Funeral, Neon Bible, & The Suburbs as there is between Reflektor & Everything Now.

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I mean, yeah, they're all rock records and the last two are indie pop records. They still were trying out new things on each record from musical and thematic standpoints and were building on their sound just fine without blowing it up and starting over.

And I don't think Everything Now and Reflektor sound that similar anyway. My complaint with this album isn't that it's a retread. It's that it sucks.

7. Craig Manning

"No bueno" is a good way of putting it.

There is nothing on here that I think is worthy of an Arcade Fire best of. "Creature Comfort" is the closest and I don't think it would be in my top five on any of the previous albums.

8. Craig Manning

I'm not a fan of the idea that an artist has to completely distance themselves from the sound of their past work to be seen as "progressing" or "evolving." I think the most compelling and engaging artist evolution narratives come from artists who keep the core of what defines them and expand it outward or figure out how to dress it up in new ways. I don't like when artists completely throw away everything they've done well in the past and try to basically start over from scratch. I feel like Arcade Fire are now a completely different band from the one I used to enjoy. If this was a debut, I never would have made it through the first half. They didn't keep the core of anything I liked about them. Which, I mean, that's their prerogative as a band, but I don't think you can be surprised that people are mostly not responding well to it. You can evolve without alienating your fans.

9. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I agree with this 1000%. There's a ton of growth and progression and evolution from Funeral to The Suburbs. To me, those are all distinct records that sound completely different from one another. And while I think the Suburbs is a tick below the first two, it makes sense. It's logical.

Reflektor is just so far out of left field - it's purposely obtuse. That thing is 75 minutes long, and half of the runtime seems to be repetitive dance beats and half asleep vocals. It's such a departure it DOES sound like a different band altogether.

And hey - more power to them. I want them to be happy and make the music they love. If this is who they want to be, okay. And if their fans want to go along for the ride, awesome. I wish them well. But it also seems totally unreasonable to not expect the sonic departure and shift to not cause a few of us to jump off the train at the next station. It really isn't the same band at all.

10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

There aren't many of us haha. It's a fine album, but it's by far the one I listen to the least from their discography.

The album is fine. I'll need a few more listens to fully form an opinion on it, but it's not something I'd turn off halfway through by any stretch.

11. Spenny

Regular

Partway through. I actually don't mind Peter Pan, on first listen, but Chemistry is something else... X-(

12. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

RollingStone gave it 4/5 stars, but they shit on all the bands I really care about...My opinion of AF's Everything Now is that is do have a few awesome "moments", but not enough to keep bringing me back for repeat spins daily. It will be in my weekly rotation for a bit, but can't see this one standing the test of time...

Review: Arcade Fire Confront Our Toxic Culture on Epic 'Everything Now'

Serenity Now likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

"Epic" is not the right word to describe this album. It isn't epic at all.

14. Jim

Trusted Supporter

RS also gave Funeral and the Suburbs 4 stars.
    Neon Bible 3.5
    Reflektor 4.5.

Rollingstone sucks.

15. Craig Manning

Lol their reviews/ratings make no sense.

paythetab likes this.
  16. Spenny

Regular

Alright, I admit, you were right Craig. Extremely disappointing album :concerned:

17. Rolling Stone gives anything that isn't a Nirvana reissue a 3.5 and their reviews basically boil down to "you might like this." Terrible place to go for reviews

18. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This album is terrible.

19. Craig Manning

They used to publish terrific music journalism. Now, they designate 50% of each magazine issue to cartoonishly bad political writing. The worst thing that ever happened to Rolling Stone was deciding to go political. Their politics guy, Matt Taibi, is the worst professional writer I have ever read in any capacity.

paythetab and Aaron Mook like this.
  20. Finally listened to this.

Hated it.

Yuck.

21. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I've never actually listened to the band before, but I checked this one out. It was...kinda just there, didn't think much one way or the other but certainly don't feel the need to listen again.

22. Serenity Now

Alright, I've spun this a few times. It's not that remarkable. You were right @Craig Manning .

I'm surprised you didn't use the word "lazy" to describe it actually. There's so many recycled songs/ideas throughout it.

Kinda bummed i bought it actually.

HOWEVER, I still stand by my high opinion of Reflektor. That thing is incredible & fun at the same time.

youwontknow and Craig Manning like this.
  23. Serenity Now

Chemistry....it's just. so. bad.

24. Craig Manning

"Lazy" is a pretty good word to describe it. I'm actually surprised they decided it was ready for release. There really aren't very many compelling musical ideas.

Gotta say, this is making me appreciate Reflektor more. For all I think that record is a little too much, the ambition at least felt like there was something genuine behind it. This record is so much worse.

25. Serenity Now

Regarding your last paragraph above, you're not wrong. Really puts their former release in a new (better) perspective now that you mention it.