Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arcade Fire – “I Give You Power” (feat. Mavis Staples)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Love it.

3. Anyone else hear "Gold Digger"?

Jim likes this.
  4. I honestly think AF have totally fallen out of touch with their strengths. Note: retro-synths and pop hooks are not their strengths.

5. skoopy

Regular

Kinda annoying tbh

Brent, Aaron Mook and Chase Tremaine like this.
  6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I thought it sounded like a Kanye demo on first listen, maybe not necessarily Gold Digger but something he'd workshop around.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I had to turn if off after 60 seconds. Absolutely loved their last album. What did I just listen to?

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

They have absolutely forgotten what they are good at. Give me something that sounds more like "Wake Up" and...not at all like this.

SEANoftheDEAD and Chase Tremaine like this.
  9. From a cynical standpoint, it seems like they're hopping on the bandwagon of how popular throwback 80s pop/R&B is. However, I think I can safely say that 80s throwback is not what most AF fans want from AF.

It's that odd position where, while I don't think an artist should pander to its fans, it seems like AF is pandering to someone.

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I don't know what they're trying to do, honestly. Be "edgy" so that they can remain critical darlings? I feel like they've gotten so caught up in creating music that is "ambitious" and "experimental" that they've forgotten how to write songs.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Reflektor was great at the time but I feel no urge to revisit it unfortunately.

12. Grant

This and the new Gorillaz song are disappointing me today.

Brent likes this.
  13. I feel your pain.

Grant likes this.
  14. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

I feel like AF and Dirty Projectors are following a similar sonic trajectory - however this is not even close to being as good as DP

15. web250

I'll change this eventually Prestigious

Exactly. All of their first three have real staying power and hold up over time. Reflektor sounds needlessly bloated and ambitious now.

16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I'd love to hear the urgency back in his voice like on Funeral. I get that he is more controlled now, but a lot of their more recent songs lack oomph for me.

17. Carlos

Arcade Fire makes the best Gorillaz song, while Gorillaz makes the worst Arcade Fire song this week.

Grant likes this.