Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Aquaman (James Wan; December 21, 2018) Movie • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Dec 2, 2016.

1. tvck

Trusted

Some really corny cringeworthy moments (teenage Arthur/Pitbull "Africa" being the most egregious), but I had a lot of fun. Some of the most breathtaking cinematography I've seen in a movie (the trench scene/sea battle/Italy fight scene/Atlana fight scene at the beginning). James Wan definitely digging into his bag of jump scares throughout the movie as well. With how badass Black Manta was (THAT SUIT!), the actor was horrendous. Patrick Wilson also digging into his stiff Nite Owl performance as influence for Orm was a little bit of a bummer. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

airik625 likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Solid dude

currytheword, Zilla, RyanPm40 and 2 others like this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Every time Mera called him Arthur I thought of the aardvark instead of you know Excalibur
    This was visually stunning, it was like George Lucas meets a non creepy Luc Besson
    Some of the dialogue was cheesy and expository but it kinda had to be
    Mera was badass even just for walking around Italy in white linen pants and a white top and somehow remaining clean
    Willem Dafoe and Nicole Kidman are always delightful, especially feral Nicole Kidman throwing a spear
    I had a hard time with Orm's motivation, I never get the politics in these types of movies
    I guess every realm has royalty, it was confusing that Mera was a princess and Arthur was a king but they weren't related

coleslawed, airik625 and GBlades like this.
  5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

It's awesome that this movie is doing as well as it is. The real question is whether or not DCEU/WB learn the right lessons from its success

6. GBlades

Trusted

Now cannot unsee.

7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The action scenes and effects were amazing. But some dialogue was cringeworthy. And my brother and I lol’ed at all the times a scene was interrupted abruptly by an explosion. I think someone in here said four.
    It was a fun popcorn movie that was super cheesy, which was ok. If there is a sequel, I’d like to see more of the other kingdoms.

8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Love the fact this is doing better than Justice League not just critically but also in terms of the box office. Hopefully it means Zack Snyder won't get to direct any more DC films as this is the second time a film not directed by him has done better than his efforts.

9. Pretty sure that’s already pretty much settled.

drewinseries likes this.
  10. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Justice League really wasn't a Snyder movie. In fact, I do think a huge part of what hurt Justice League was Whedon coming in halfway through and them basically trying to Frankenstein together two drastically different tones.

Either way, yeah, Snyder isn't coming back.

airik625 and Davjs like this.
  11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Saw this again today and still had fun, but there are some hilarious parts. Teenage Arthur, Kidman’s “In our world, our tears are carried away by the sea,” and the gentleman that gets crushed by rubble only to get up and run away unscathed are my favorites.

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think Snyder could maybe get away with a JLD movie. Though that is probably what he should have worked on to begin with.

13. currytheword

Trusted

With different directors and more freedom with their choices, JL could be awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing other actors for Superman and Batman at this point though.

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'd still really like to see Cavill get his shot at playing Superman instead of Sad Punch Guy.

I'm more invested in projects like Shazam, Birds of Prey, & New Gods at this point than anything Justice League related, but I do think a successful Justice League movie is in the cards. We've got a successful Aquaman franchise, a successful Wonder Woman franchise, and I'm sure that Matt Reeves Batman reboot will be a success. Even if no other member gets a film (who knows if/when that ever evolving Flash film materializes), that's enough to build a successful Justice League film.

currytheword likes this.
  15. drewinseries

Drew

Cavill deserves more time in the role IMO. I really enjoyed Affleck's Bruce in BvS, less so in JL due to some of the obvious added lightheartedness, though the "the world needs Superman, and the team needs Clark" line is so good.

Davjs likes this.
  16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Finally saw this tonight. It was decent. Someone brought a damn baby with them to this though. Luckily it was fairly quiet for most of the movie but c’mon.

17. This is going to pass $1 billion soon. Wild.

currytheword and drewinseries like this.
  18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

And now it has

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

It's officially the highest-grossing DC movie ever

currytheword likes this.
  20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

James Wan is now the only person to have directed two $1+ billion films for two separate studios. He is expected to have a pretty good pay raise for the sequel.

Apparently Momoa pitched the sequel and Warner Bros were enthusiastic about it.

21. currytheword

Trusted

Taken from reddit:

"There are 8 directors/directing teams that have made multiple billion dollar films:
    Joined (and inaugurated group) in 2009 - James Cameron: Avatar ($2.788B), Titanic ($2.187B)
    Joined in 2012 - Christopher Nolan: The Dark Knight Rises ($1.084B), The Dark Knight ($1.005B)
    Joined in 2012 - Peter Jackson: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($1.021B), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1.120B)
    Joined in 2014 - Michael Bay: Transformers: Age of Extinction ($1.104B), Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.124B)
    Joined in 2015 - Joss Whedon: Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.405B), Marvel's The Avengers ($1.519B)
    Joined in 2017 - Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda: Despicable Me 3 ($1.035B; co-directed with Eric Guillon), Minions ($1.159B)
    Joined in 2018 - Anthony and Joe Russo: Avengers: Infinity War ($2.049B), Captain America: Civil War (1.153B)
    Joined in 2018 - James Wan: Aquaman ($1.020B), Furious 7 ($1.516B)"

Wan and Cameron are also the only ones to do it with movies from separate cinematic universes.

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought Bad Boys was a $1 billion franchise.

currytheword likes this.
  23. currytheword

Trusted

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

airik625 and currytheword like this.
  25. currytheword

Trusted

[​IMG]

BornToRun and airik625 like this.