Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 711

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I think Pocket Casts and Overcast are the 2 best. I use Pocket Casts. I don't use their web app though so i'm unfamiliar with any issues there.

2. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

what's wrong with the Apple Podcasts app? I've been fairly happy using it for ... 8 years. oh god.

Brent likes this.
  3. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I generally like listening at faster speeds with silence trimmed. I haven't used the Apple app in a long time, so its possible these things have been added, but they're generally on the other apps

Elder Lightning likes this.
  4. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

you can increase playback speed, but as far as I can tell the app is just as basic as it was when it came out. I'm just very undiscerning in my usage.

Brent and LuigiPeppercorn like this.
  5. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Overcast's Smart Speed is one of my favorite things ever.

David Parke and Anthony Brooks like this.
  6. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah being able to adjust the trim silence and speed features on Pocket Casts is a game changer. Being able to adjust the speed by .1 and adjust the trim silence levels means I can find the sweet spot of speeding things up but still having it feel pretty natural. The base Apple podcast app last i checked only lets you increase speed by .25 at a time.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  7. Overcast is probably my favorite app on my iPhone. I don't think I would listen to podcasts nearly as much without Overcast.

8. Same here with overcast. ONLY issue I’ve seen is so fringe it might not matter to most but if I’m STREAMING (not playing back a downloaded show) a pod at 2x speed, using GPS, *and* charging on the Qi charger, my phone overheats. This has been an issue for years but it’s just how I use the thing. Very user-error-y

anotherpancake likes this.
  9. GIVE ME AN OVERCAST WIDGET MARCO

10. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Don't hold your breath. :(

billyboatman likes this.
  11. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Widgets don't really work on iPad, do they? They won't stay on my home screen.

12. They are only on the Today view/far left part of the screen.

billyboatman and Anthony Brooks like this.
  13. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

It’s very dumb

14. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Thanks for the confirmation. I hope they fix that or change it in the future. I love widgets in my iPhone 11

15. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Yeah the whole widget situation on the iPad is just bad. Super disappointing for what is my favorite thing about iOS 14 on my phone. I still don't understand why I need all of my apps to exist on my homescreens still either. Why is there no app library for iPad? Baffling decisions.

16. Overcast is excellent, I used this for years as a desktop solution without issue: insidegui/PodcastMenu

now I just have overcast on my M1 air my life rules :devil:

17. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Speaking of Overcast, does anyone pay for the premium version? Anything useful outside of no ads?

18. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Anyone know of some cool coloring apps like Lake?

19. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

You can upload your own MP3 files to it, and you get access to the dark icon.

(Personally, I just saw how much time I spent in the app and went, "Eh, Marco deserves $10.")

20. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I don't use either of those, so minus the no ads thing I'm in the same boat. It's the least I can do with how often I use the app. Hours upon hours a day. I'm not sure I've even attempted to use another podcast app in the last 4-5 years.

maryp1603 and blast0rama like this.
  21. Big Sur is fucking garbage - I've had lesser machines able to handle this "load" of apps being open
    Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 5.00.14 PM.png

billyboatman likes this.
  22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wait wtf how many gigs of RAM do you have if Safari is taking up 49 GB of it

David Parke likes this.
  23. it's just the base model m1 MacBook Air so 8 GB - I have one safari window open with zero tabs open haha

I just did some terminal command tricks that hopefully clears it up

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. I wish audio engineering companies could keep up with Apple's software do you have any idea how frustrating it is to spend $400 on a massive plugin suite that will be rendered useless if I accidentally click "update now" instead of "remind me later"

25. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Wow that's so bizarre, I guess I'll hold off on Big Sur for now lol