Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 710

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Absolutely loving mine.

2. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

It’s the bestest

3. mescalineeyes Dec 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Dec 27, 2020)
    mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

you can get 2 regular iPads for the price of one Air, I only say this since you mentioned multiple kids.

that said, yeah the Air is incredible.

Brent and billyboatman like this.
  4. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

What colors did you guys get? Green here. Wanted blue, but didn’t have the gall to say anything. Cause what a gift haha

mescalineeyes likes this.
  5. mescalineeyes

green :)

billyboatman likes this.
  6. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Actually a decent idea...

7. mescalineeyes

Oh wow, if you guys think Apple TV+ is great (it is!!!) do no sleep on Apple Arcade. It's an embarrassment of riches.

I recommend The Last Campfire (sad puzzler) and Zombie Rollerz - Pinball Heroes (pinball roguelite RPG) to start out.

uuu likes this.
  8. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

I only had the trial of Arcade, but I remember enjoying the hell out of What The Golf

9. mescalineeyes

It’s included with Apple One so I imagine most of the people in this thread have it :crylaugh:

And yeah what the golf is hella cooky

anotherpancake likes this.
  10. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

So my mother knew I was in the market for a new computer and gave me $1,000 for Christmas to get myself one. I’m looking at the new Mac Mini, but I’m having trouble deciding which to get. I’m only using it for recording music. I’m not educated enough on the M1 chip at all. I’m seeing if anyone here uses Logic and has a new Mac mini with the M1 chip. Are the 8gb enough, or should I spend the extra $200 for 16gb? I’m not concerned about hard drive space since everything gets bumped over to an external.

My MacBook Pro that I have now is a mid 2012 model and has completely slowed down to where I can’t really record anything anymore.

11. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I think in general you want to get as much ram as you can. If you can swing the extra money go for it.

12. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I was trying to do some research and I’m seeing the M1 chip uses RAM in a different way, but this is new technology and I’m thinking the extra RAM would be beneficial. The only drawbacks I’m finding is that you can’t upgrade the RAM ever. I’m also considering waiting it out to see if they release something better next year. I just don’t know when that’ll be, or if they do. I’m not necessarily in a hurry (still writing and putting together the studio).

13. shea

RIP Supporter

Got a 12 Pro today. First non-Plus/Max phone in a few years and I love it. Hoping the drop off in battery life from my 11 Pro Max is relatively negligible though.

Also broke down and got a full sized HomePod today and gave my wife the mini. Was also looking at a Sonos 5 but everything I read kind of hinted that while it’s the better overall speaker, it’s not necessarily $200 better than a HomePod, especially if you have a mostly Apple ecosystem at home.

Haven’t had a chance to set it up yet but I’m excited to see how it sounds tomorrow.

Brent, JamesMichael and Jason Tate like this.
  14. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

If you can swing waiting, it might not be a bad idea. I imagine Logic itself should run near flawlessly, but the little I've read implies it'll be a bit before most plugins work well with the m1 macs as most don't have updates to run natively yet. I also generally believe the sweet spot for buying Macs is the first revision of the new models - maybe it's not necessary anymore, but worked out well for me in the past to avoid the first iteration of a major design change.

If you're trying to squeeze another 6-18 months out of your current laptop, it might be worth backing it up and reformatting it. And if it's the pre-retina model (can't remember when they switched), it is not too hard to open it up and swap in an SSD if you haven't already. (Fair warning dealing with plugin licenses can be a slight but manageable hassle if doing either of those.)

LessThanTrevor likes this.
  15. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve upgrade the RAM completely, replaced the hard drive as well as the hard drive cable, and I replaced the battery. I’m squeezing as much as I can out of it and have reformatted it, but it can’t handle anything anymore for some reason. I blame it on being almost 9 years old. I don’t mind waiting, I just have a goal to get an album recorded and released this upcoming year and really don’t want to give someone else money to do what I already know how to do. The information about plugins is what really scares me for a lot of it. I think if I’m going to buy a new computer I’m going to do it in March or so (though pulling the trigger now is very tempting).

16. mescalineeyes

I’d say get the 16 gigs because you will never be able to upgrade that computer.

most people who use logic professionally don’t stop at 16 gigs with the intel architecture so no reason why you should get a 8gb machine, especially wrt to future proofing.

that said as someone pointed out, make sure the plugins you use work on apple silicon.

JamesMichael and hiddentrack like this.
  17. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Thinking bout just getting that damn credit card and leaving with a new air and phone - fuck everything.

David Parke, dylan, Brent and 2 others like this.
  18. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I got the credit card and I love it because I can just pay things off over a year without interest or fees. It’s great to use specifically for apple products.

David Parke, Brent and billyboatman like this.
  19. Jusscali

How long is the zero apr

20. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

Depends on the product I think. For the iPad, a year. For the watch I have two years.

21. Jusscali

I wonder if they will help a brother out for two big ticket items

22. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Had the old Barclay one, loved it for Apple purchases with its 0% APR deals (9-18 months I think is what was offered, depending on how much you bought). Haven't got the Apple Card yet, but likely will soon since Barclay stopped offering their deals.

David Parke likes this.
  23. Jusscali

I think my buddy said 18-24 for the phone - but I’m hoping getting both items won’t interfere with that. I’m looking at you, Senate.

Brent likes this.
  24. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Any podcast app recommendations? I was using Pocket Casts for years, but had been finding that the sync between their web app and mobile app was not so great. I then switched over to Spotify, but am missing all of the other features that came with the standalone app. I know a lot of people like OverCast. Are there any others worth taking a look? I was interested in Castro, but it seems they don't have a web or desktop app.

25. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

Overcast is my favorite.

No desktop app (technically), but you can either go to overcast.fm and listen or if you have one of those fancy new M1 Macs, use the iPad app.