Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 613

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Those are fair points, but if Apple were to simply allow developers to do what Fortnite did, that would be a non-issue for you because you could still opt to use your Apple account for purchases like that

EDIT

I do understand the privacy concerns, though. Not claiming to have the solutions to that, but again, if Walmart is allowed to, then I don't see why Fortnite shouldn't be allowed to

2. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I think the users should have that option. Its their device.

Its no different than how Windows doesn't force you to use the Windows 10 app store to download everything. Yes, forcing everyone to use the Windows 10 app store would be more secure. But the freedom gained by allowing you to download your own programs greatly outweighs the security risks.

Google could have its own google payments, and force everyone who wants to do a purchase on chrome to use that google payments. But while that might be somewhat more secure for the users... it would be a far worse user experience that just serves to give google profit while the website developers and customers suffer.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. Jason Tate Aug 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 14, 2020)
    It's their device, it's not their operating system. Most people have no idea what they're doing and will lose privacy and/or money from scams.

Does it? If they could start from scratch right now to make their platform more secure, given everything we know about what's going on in the world right now, you don't think they'd do it? The Mac doesn't force anyone to use the MAS either, but iOS was built from the start with these things in mind, the legacy platforms weren't.

I use Apple devices and recommend them because I know they're relatively secure and private and even my family members can't mess that up too much. That's a big selling point.

Using the web as an example hurts your argument imo, the web is fulllllll of horrible scams and malware and pure garbage that absolutely destroys people's lives and computers because no one actually cares or has any standards. It's why almost every website in the world fucking sucks now. The web's been practically ruined by lack of care and standards around anything.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  4. clucky

Trusted Supporter

You cannot put another operating system on the device. So if you don't own the operating system, you don't own the device. (Apple also fights the right to repair tooth and nail, so they really don't want you thinking you own the device). If Apple did allow people to install their own OS I'd be somewhat less concerned, though I think there are monopolistic concerns with tying a whole operating system to a payment method. Just like people should be free to use the Windows operating system and a non Microsoft browser, people should be able to use an Apple operating system and a non apple payment method, if they want.

Yes, I like the freedom of being able to download and run what I want without a corporation telling me if its okay or not. And sure, if Microsoft could start from scratch and build an operating system that they could completely lock down they probably would. But it wouldn't be to make the user more safe, it would be because they can make more money that way. (and also, given the legal trouble they got into in the past... they'd get shot down in the courts)

Its a double edged sword to be sure. But google locking down the web so that if you use chrome you can only visit certain approved websites that only use google payment would not be a better alternative. Some people might like that and choose to use "Safe Chrome", but I think a lot of people would switch away from chrome if they did that.

5. Correct. The software and hardware work together to make it secure, private, etc., all the benefits of owning it. If you don't want an iPhone, don't buy an iPhone.

A browser and a payment system are not the same thing. And if it's regulated to be as secure and safe as Apple's and go through an Apple vetting process, I would agree. But I don't trust anyone to actually build that or the legal system to know they should require it. Instead you'd get every other payment system in the world that you see when you go to various stores: they suck. ApplePay finally got it right and the (relative) safety and privacy of how that processing system works on the iPhone for apps is a way better experience than having to give a thousand different venders my information and create accounts with them instead. That system sucks.

But this is to make the user more safe. If you wanna go run your shitty broken software and whatever you want, you have the choice right now to go buy a different insecure phone. Millions do! They're very popular. I want my device to be secure, and I don't think anyone should force a company to make a phone more insecure by letting anything and everything be installed on it. A Gatekeeper like system may work, it works alright on the Mac, but there's many magnitudes more iOS devices in the world and a much larger attack vector.

Google already does this in many different ways. They change standards and make changes to force websites to do various things all the time. Just the latest changes around SSL certificates is one example.

No, they keep using it while they do it. It's very popular.

6. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I think the difference is me buying a shirt on Amazon doesn’t impact the device in anyway. Me buying something that alters an app on my device requires apples review to ensure consistency of quality and experience.

7. Yeah, the Wild West of Android is why I don’t wanna do that. That was teenage Linux hacking every PC I bought Jason. Now I just want it to work and do what I need, not worried some weird thing is gonna download and Bork my device. Apple has so many issues, but I think they can be tweaked to work and not throw out to ruin what I love most about the platform.

8. I think ATP did a great job this week discussing the topic. I agree with pretty much everything Marco said. I don’t want 3rd party app stores and I don’t want side loading. But Apple taking a 30% cut is way too high and should allow apps to use their own payment processors while also still using apple’s API

9. Yep. That’s my take.

Christian Romero likes this.
  10. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I also don’t want a situation where every app is free, and I need to enter my payment info each time to buy a license. That’s what I worry about.

Instead of being a $5 app, it’s a free app with a $5 non-Apple IAP.

11. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Hi all, about to buy a new Macbook. I really am just a surface level web browser and e-mail guy, just love Macbooks.

This may sound like an obvious answer but i'm kinda stuck between two laptops. They are both around the same price, the MBP is refurbished on Amazon. I am not too worried about hard drive space, my current MBP is 128 GBs and I also have an external 500 GB hard drive. I should go for the MBP right?

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Intel Core i5 Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD - Mid 2019, Space Gray, MUHN2LL

and

2020 Apple MacBook Air (13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage) - Space Gray Tenth-generation Intel Core i3 processor

12. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Most definitely. The only consideration for the air would be if you are on the go a lot, but even then the MBP is very easy to move around.

edit: actually I think the air has the updated keyboard, so that might make the difference for you.

oldjersey likes this.
  13. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Definitely not on the go much, I very much just want something that will be smooth for me while having 15 tabs open, that's my biggest concern haha.

14. LightWithoutHeat

You should consider a model with 16gb of ram in that case.

15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yes that's what I was thinking as well

16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

17. LightWithoutHeat

RyanPm40 and oldjersey like this.
  18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. LightWithoutHeat

Ugh, I know. Honestly you are already spending decent money. I would go for the one that makes you happy, and if that’s a newer one with a keyboard so be it. They last so long you will definitely get your money’s worth. Just this past year I replaced a few work MBPs from 2012! And that’s only because the batteries exploded.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I'm getting hung up on the memory, a newer one with 16 GB memory is out of my price range but something about having a 2020 model or even a 2019 sounds more appealing to me! I'll figure it out after 4 more hours of ridiculous research.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

@LightWithoutHeat last question, I read about Apples keyboard replacement program, does that ever expire?

22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Went with that refurbished Air, thanks for the advice!

LightWithoutHeat and David Parke like this.
  23. LightWithoutHeat

24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Just gonna get a keyboard cover for 13 bucks haha

25. mescalineeyes likes this.