Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 612

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

How much of a cut is fair then? Genuinely curious, not trying to be antagonistic.

2. By far the tech “monopoly” I care the least about especially given the current state of affairs in the world.

Christian Romero likes this.
  3. MidDave

Like, they’ve created this entire ecosystem and allow developers to easily bring their product to market in a big way...isn’t that worth a cut?

4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I get it for apps you purchase directly from the app store, but in-app purchases seem like a weird grey area to me

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Just realized I could use Safari to listen to Apple Music until the next beta comes out to hopefully fix that from being broke.

6. MidDave

Meh, I really don’t find it unfair. Maybe 30 is high but I certainly understand the principal of it. I’m also an apple bootlicker Lol. I just think it’s weird for developers to say “we’re entitled to do whatever we want in your store”

7. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I think the problem lies in there being no other way for a developer to reach the masses of the iOS user base, other than to work through the App Store and give Apple 30% for every purchase.

8. MidDave

Isn’t there though, via web apps? I mean chorus.fm is the most visited digital property for me and there’s no app for that.

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, how do you access something like Fortnite through a web app? This isn’t about websites. This is about paid apps and/or apps with in-app purchases.

As an example, let’s say Jason had a Chorus.fm app and offered the Supporter membership via App Store subscription sign-up within the app, Apple would take a 30% cut every month when you pay the $5 fee.

10. I believe it's 15% after the first year.

(And it's one of the many, many reasons we don't have an app! Stripe takes something like 3%.)

pauljgreco likes this.
  11. MidDave

Yeah, I get that. My point is, Fortnite wouldn’t exist if Apple didn’t create and maintain the marketplace it’s sold in.

12. As someone that doesn't care about this very much, I am not excited for every podcast ever to be about this all the next two weeks. ;-p

macbethfan, David Parke and cryates like this.
  13. MidDave

Lol fair. I’ll shut up because I don’t wanna clog up the thread arguing about this. I just don’t think it’s unfair they get a cut but oh well.

14. MidDave

I wish I could change the photo and chat name for a conversation on my phone without it appearing anywhere else

Christian Romero likes this.
  15. Yeah, I get annoyed when people change group chat names on me.

16. MidDave

Right?? It feels so rude to me to just decide for everyone, but my desire to organize everything makes it so tempting.

17. clucky

Trusted Supporter

It would though. People play it on all sorts of devices, not just iOs ones

People should be able to control the electronic devices they purchase. They shouldn't be forced into a walled garden where they have to pay the people running the garden 30% of each purchase for the "privilege" of being in the garden.

Christian Romero and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. Martin Scorsese Apple First-Look film TV Deal For His Sikelia Banner – Deadline
    Two and one-half months after it stepped up to become the producers of Killers of the Flower Moon, Apple has inked a first-look deal with its director, Martin Scorsese. The master filmmaker will base his Sikelia Productions banner at Apple in a multi-year deal for film and television projects Scorsese will produce and direct for Apple TV +.

The relationship kicks off with Killers of the Flower Moon, the Eric Roth-scripted adaptation of the David Grann non-fiction book which will star Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro will star in. Apple won an auction with the $180 million+ film originally optioned by Paramount came back on the market. Deadline revealed on May 27 that Apple won a deal that has Paramount releasing the film theatrically.

JamesMichael likes this.
  19. Do you believe all apps should be able to be side loaded, outside of an approved app store, and run any payment system they'd like with no enforcement? That doesn't seem like a good idea. There should be a trade off for security, ease of use, payment processing, and app distribution that makes sense for everyone and does not harm user privacy and security.

20. RyanPm40

Does Apple get a cut of all Amazon purchases made in the Amazon app? Walmart? Instacart? When I fill my prescription in the CVS app? Honestly have no idea heh.

Why is it ok for me to enter my credit card into those apps and not others?

21. App Store - Principles and Practices
    These apps are free for users to download and the developer generates revenue from the sale of physical goods and services, such as purchasing clothing, having food delivered, or ordering a ride from a transportation service. Apple receives no commission from supporting, hosting, and distributing these apps, or from transactions for physical goods and services in the app.

22. RyanPm40

So then there lies the inconsistency from Apple. How is purchasing a subscription in an app any different from purchasing goods from another?

23. They made the rules. (And no company with razor thin margins on physical goods already could take more of a cut, those prices are relatively fixed.)

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. RyanPm40

Yeah, that's why I think this is a good lawsuit to have. Epic Games is obviously doing this for selfish reasons, but the subscription charge that Apple puts on developers could be harmful to smaller devs if Apple decides to launch a competing product with a lower cost since they get to reap 100% of the rewards

Really good point on the razor thin margins there, though. It would make no sense for Amazon to have more expensive products on my phone vs my laptop

25. Personally, I don't wanna use thirty different accounts and have fifty other companies knowing my payment information every time I buy an app or subscribe to one. I trust Apple with my credit card and enjoy the convenience of double clicking to pay for something knowing it's secure and safe.

The race to the bottom of app pricing is far more of an issue. People expecting free or cheap apps. If Apple Music cost two bucks and Apple was using the App Store to make it impossible for Spotify to compete, there's a better argument there, but it walks the line of monopolistic and I really hate every 'solution' so far proposed.

Drew Beringer likes this.