Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 574

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Attempting to use the dock on the right side of my MacBook just to change things up. It's.. weird but I kind of dig it

2. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

It’s not just the MacBook Air though. All current MacBooks are using the same webcam. And it’s 720p in 2020. I think most just want to see an upgrade to webcam quality fit for this decade.

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

It does seem weird that they boast 4k retina screens but have you view a 720p picture quality because of their same product

4. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Just throw and iPad front camera quality sensor in the MacBook and no one will complain.

5. She makes a great point about laptop web cameras sucking — and how their suckiness has been brought to the forefront during our collective stay-at-home saga. Her video comparing webcam footage from a bunch of laptops — including a 2010 MacBook Pro, whose camera at times outperforms the new MacBook Air’s — is excellent. But I think the problem here is technically difficult — laptop lids are waythinner than phones and tablets, and that thinness severely limits camera sensor size. Everyone wants a better MacBook camera, but I suspect few would accept the tradeoff of a MacBook with a lid as thick as an iPad.
    Joanna Stern: ‘A MacBook Air Review at the Worst Possible Time’

sean_rugy and Jason Tate like this.
  6. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

7. Exactly what I was going to say, the MacBook cover would be thick as hell if they did that.

8. Exactly - if video conferencing or FaceTime is vital for you then you should invest in an iPad Pro

pauljgreco likes this.
  9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

So like, I thought the ‘Pointer Animations’ on iPad looked great in videos and such, but actually using them, I don’t think I like it. I lose track of where the pointer is way too easily. Mouse/Trackpad support is absolutely incredible though.

10. Dan CiTi

♎️♈️♌️ Prestigious

While partially it’s on principle they haven’t upgraded it in ages and it is very awkward; but I doubt they would need to thicken the screen part of the chassis so much to improve it significantly.
    I don’t need a DSLR or something, but Apple has superb enough of engineers to do a lot more than this 1 megapixel, 720p, barely decent camera they haven’t improved in several years. The iPad Pro and iPhones of the last few years front cameras are nice enough and it doesn’t even need to be *that* good. Logitech has nice 4K webcams streamers use, I don’t expect that either.

I guess they are not motivated to improve it because it’s not a camera they show off in ads and press conferences with lavish photos/videos. It’s a lot less glamorous than “wow you can use the iPhone 11 Pro to shoot a movie!”

11. They could definitely but a better camera on the iMac. But physics is an issue with any sensor and lens array because of the thinness of a current MacBook cover. You can get somewhat better, sure, but it’s not gonna come close to a phone even.

12. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Really contemplating finally pulling the trigger on the new MacBook Air. Am moving to a new department within my company come monday and they use a lot of MSFT Teams and the video chat just fucking eats up resources on my Air and still barely functions at times. Wish they used Zoom or something, that works just fine for me. Gonna try my iPad Pro for Teams first though, if that works I can hold off.

Christian Romero likes this.
  13. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I have $550 in educational funds to spend and if i turn in my fiancé’s old MacBook Air and use educational pricing i could get a new one for $170 out of pocket. I think I’ll do it for her birthday

RyanPm40 and Christian Romero like this.
  14. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

I use Teams on my iPad Pro at work and it works mostly fine for me. Feature set seems a bit limited compared to the macOS version (seems they just blew up the iPhone version), but I make it work and it doesn’t chew through resources like it does on macOS.

15. Shakriel

Oh good to know. Thanks! I just need it for video chat, don’t need it for anything else special.

16. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Teams on iPad Pro is very good for the video conferencing, can confirm.

Shakriel and macbethfan like this.
  17. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, video chat is really great on the iPad. :ok:

18. Shakriel

You’re all supposed to say it’s shit so I buy the new Air lol.

19. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

so, as luck would have it, when there are no stores to go to for tech support, my brand new airpod pros are just disconnecting willy nilly on their own. batteries are charged, bluetooth is connected, no other devices are disconnecting. i've unpaired and re-paired a few times but it keeps happening on and off, anyone else have these issues?

20. What device are you pairing to? Does that issue occur with any other devices? Is your iOS and firmware up to date?

21. Sean Murphy likes this.
  22. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

11 Pro Max - havent used them yet on any other devices. didnt know there was a new iOS update so I am updating now, hoping that solves it.

23. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Anyone else having issues with tap to wake since updating to iOS 13.4.1? It barely works for me anymore.

I’m using the original iPhone X.

25. 333 GANG

ACAB

No problems on my 11. Have you tried a hard reset?