Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 487

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

as someone who owns both a BMW and an Audi with CarPlay, I can tell you that BMW is doing you a favor by putting it behind a paywall. that shit sucks ass.

also don't be an idiot like me and buy a BMW, those people are vile and they made their fortunes on the back of jewish slave labor.

2. mescalineeyes

(do it)

pauljgreco likes this.
  3. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Damnit I'm really gonna put the beta on my phone aren't I? See you on the other side.

4. I dig the Beta for the most part. I do have my screen going to sleep when im trying to end a phone call, but other that its great. Dark mode is worth it. Apple Music is better for me as well.

5. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

What’s different with Apple Music?

6. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I have very few issues with CarPlay in my Audi :shrug:

7. CarPlay in Hannah's Subaru has been awesome. Made me super jealous even though I don't have a car.

8. I bought a new car last year instead buying used primarily for CarPlay and I have zero regrets.

Max_123 likes this.
  9. Apple Announces Acquisition of Intel’s Smartphone Modem Business – MacStories
    As the stock market closed in the US, Apple announced the acquisition of Intel's smartphone modem business. As part of the deal, 2,200 Intel employees will join Apple. The company is also buying intellectual property and other assets from Intel like equipment and real estate associated with the business.

Apple to acquire the majority of Intel's smartphone modem business
    Combining the acquired patents for current and future wireless technology with Apple’s existing portfolio, Apple will hold over 17,000 wireless technology patents, ranging from protocols for cellular standards to modem architecture and modem operation. Intel will retain the ability to develop modems for non-smartphone applications, such as PCs, internet-of-things devices and autonomous vehicles.

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i LOVE carplay and i cannot wait for the upgrade this fall

jorbjorb likes this.
  11. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

CarPlay sucked in the early years, IMO as an early adopter, but it’s much better now. I think a lot of it depends on the quality of the head unit as well. iOS 13 makes CarPlay significantly better in the UI department too.

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. mescalineeyes

Audi's very own MMI shits all over car play. Especially since CarPlay can't or isn't allowed to show stuff in my HUD.

I guess it's an upgrade over the stuff that comes in, uh, non-premium cars.

13. mescalineeyes

that karaoke like lyrics display alone is worth the price of admission.

David Parke likes this.
  14. jorbjorb likes this.
  15. mescalineeyes

1) it can actually transmit stuff like the navigation to my HUD
    2) not every interface is just Siri
    3) it's actually pleasant to look at and not just a weird slab of grey and some blurry album art

I mean my daily driver is a 2019 A6 but go off I am sure you're very well versed in the pros and cons of CarPlay in my car.

16. The maps suck to levels of hell, the interface is garbage, and the voice controls don’t work.

Yeah, I owned one before I sold it and my dad still owns one. Cool flex tho.

jorbjorb and redwing91007 like this.
  17. mescalineeyes

well clearly I prefer the way audi does things, in europe the maps are excellent and the voice control gets it right 99% of the time even though I have to tell it shit like ... honestly insert any german street name here you think is hilarious enough to drive my point home.

also I don't know which model you drove, the 2019 is excellent.

this car is EVERYTHING

[​IMG]

18. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Might do the beta tomorrow. Kind of annoyed with the setup with HomeKit accessories. If a sensor/switch/etc has more than one thing in it (switch with a nightlight, two sensors like humidity and temp on the same device) you can't turn it on/off from tile and instead have to long press and you see both the light/on and off switch.
    It will really only affect the switch I have for our big fan in the bedroom and I have it set up to some scenes so I don't use it from there too often, but still annoying nonetheless.
    I think dark mode beats all of that though.

David Parke likes this.
  19. dorfmac

Trusted

CarPlay is awesome in my bmw, so I would assume it’s more an Audi thing than a car play thing. Everything transmits directly, a lot of functionality beyond a simple Siri, and a truly wireless connection.

The only complaints I’ve found with CarPlay is in some cars that necessitate a cord and when you’re listening to non-CarPlay audio and then you look at twitter and the auto play feature on videos kicks the CarPlay into gear and you’re like damn I liked that song on the radio, I don’t care about this video sound.

20. Really excited to see what Apple can do with making their own modems. It’s crazy to think about how many employees from Intel are going to be joining Apple.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. mescalineeyes

I mean it does have a couple of bugs, sure (more so on iPad than iPhone), but what really concerns me is that my phone gets really really hot when charging (XS Max) but that also might be a "it's 100 degrees in Europe right now" kind of thing.

pauljgreco likes this.
  22. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Don't get me wrong, I like MMI, but every single time I sit down in my car, the first thing I do is plug my phone in and launch CarPlay. Getting around this city without Waze is an absolute nightmare. When Apple Maps was the only option in CarPlay then MMI was my go-to.

Also worth saying I liked CarPlay in my Elantra just as much before I made the switch. But Hyundai (and Kia/Genesis) knock infotainment out of the park.

23. mescalineeyes

my MMI comes with the traffic info included, so it automatically does the re-rerouting, but truth be told I very rarely use the satnav in the city as... well it's just not that big of a city, I know how to get around haha, I usually just use it on like the first 2 miles to get me near somewhere I know. Plus traffic here is very predictable and my job doesn't require me to actually drive in rush hour traffic.

but yeah, I totally get wanting to use Waze. Also I'll definitely give CarPlay another shot with the new update, maybe it's more to my liking now. But as for the nav I'll stick to MMI for the reason alone that I really like/want my direction info up in the heads up display.

24. jorbjorb

7 rings

25. jorbjorb

7 rings

I haven't found a car infotainment I actually like. I much prefer not having a tablet on my dash but if I had to choose, carplay would be my go-to. No complaints with it yet.