Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 430

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

What I like about the folio cover itself is it just keeps the entire package ridiculously thin and light. The old Smart Keyboard wasn’t sturdy enough in the lap for me, but it seems that has been remedied by the additional magnets. Can the new keyboard folio be used as a stand like the old one could? What I mean by that is I could fold the keyboard behind the 10.5” if I wanted to prop it up on a table but not need the keyboard function, but I’m not sure if that possible with this new design.

2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I was really aftaid the smart folio would feel bulky (for the steep $100 price) but its really great, and after comparing, the keybord feels just as nice.

cryates likes this.
  3. No and that would be my one complaint is that for it to stand the keyboard always has to be out

cryates likes this.
  4. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

AirBuddy is the best $5 I've spent recently.

5. I wish Hannah's laptop had Bluetooth LE so she could use it. She'd love it. (Fix your damn keyboards Apple.)

Christian Romero and David Parke like this.
  6. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

I just really, really, really need an iMac update already. 605 since last release has me dying since i'm still using a 2011 model.

Christian Romero likes this.
  7. I hate that it’s 2019 and the keyboards are still a problem. Like... just change them please? Haha

8. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Exchanged my Smart Folio cover for the Keyboard Folio and all is much better. You just can’t replace the tactile feel of pressing actual keys for me personally. It works on the phone obviously, but not on a big screen. I also LOVE the crazy sturdiness this keyboard model offers over the older generation smart keyboards.

9. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

if the next refresh doesn't come with a keyboard that has been redesign from the ground up I will probably stare blankly at the screen for a prolonged period of time in utter bewilderment.

I mean for PR alone...

Now that being said, I have the most recent generation butterfly switches and they're actually great. My favorite non-mechanical keyboard by far and so far so good on the sticky keys front.

10. Gonna do some digging but thought I’d post here too:

I have all my photos going back to 2003 up on iCloud. I’ve loved it - it’s great and solid. I ALSO keep my photos backed up to google photos because their service actually does some great stuff and it’s good peace of mind to have it backed up to 2 places.

My iPhone X 64gb is almost always on the brink of being out of space. Until apple updates photo management, it’s always gonna keep 16+ years of photo and video thumbnails on my device which adds up to a lot. Today, as an experiment, i turned off my iCloud Photo Library on my phone. I’ve used the photo library storage optimization option for a couple years but it’s just not as comprehensive as I’d like. I’m hoping this will free up space and allow my phone to be more fluid. I feel all the bugs I experience are because of lack of space so I’m gonna see how this week goes just using my 30-day photo stream.

That said, does anyone know if my photos that sync to the photo stream from my device get added to the library by my devices that have iCloud Photo Library turned on? On the 31st day, will my oldest photo just get deleted altogether or will it just be in the library on that date? I don’t care if it’s accessible from my X which has iCloud Photo Library turned off, but will my Mac, iPad, and iCloud.com still have access to it? I feel it should but on paper it seems a little unclear.

I’ll post what I find in case anyone is interested but also would love if someone here had the answer. Thanks!

11. GBlades

Trusted

Just bought myself a MacBook Air through my work as my laptop is getting old and full of music.

12. My Photo Stream
    My Photo Stream uploads your most recent photos (except Live Photos) so that you can view and import them to all of your devices. Photos are stored in My Photo Stream for 30 days. iCloud Photos uploads all of your photos and videos to iCloud and keeps them up to date across your devices.
    If you turn on both My Photo Stream and iCloud Photos on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, photos that you take with that device upload to both iCloud Photos and My Photo Stream.
    If you use another device with the same Apple ID that has only My Photo Stream turned on, photos that you take on that device upload only to My Photo Stream. They don't appear on any devices that have only iCloud Photos enabled.
    That doesn't seem to really answer the question.

David Parke likes this.
  13. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Have an AirPods question -

Had them connected to my phone earlier, and when I went to use my iPad just now, I opened the case - spinning case graphic appeared. Cool. Put my AirPods in my ear, but they reconnect to my phone, despite media playing on my iPad. Only way to connect them to my iPad is to go into bluetooth settings and connect there. Or swipe up to control center and select it as the output for audio and wait a few seconds to connect.

Am I doing something wrong, because all I hear people say about AirPods is how they auto connect and immediately work on whichever device you are using.

14. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That’s how it works. They will automatically connect to the last device they were connected to, provided it is in reasonable proximity. You just have to connect via either method you mention to your iPad. It’s still easier than any other Bluetooth device I’ve ever tried where you have to actually disconnect from the phone before connecting to the iPad. With the AirPods, you don’t have to disconnect from the phone first, but you do have to connect on the iPad in your specific case example.

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  15. Also I highly recommend using the audio button (circles and triangle) in all players to switch to them. Way easier.

Christian Romero and David Parke like this.
  16. Ya that dances around the idea but almost doesn’t address it. I’m thinking this part is sort of answering it:
    “so that you can view and import them to all of your devices.”
    Looks like i may need manually import them. Also no Live Photo’s in the photo stream?! That’s news to me. Weird.

17. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Picked up a gently used Nimbus controller off Amazon ($28) and just played Fortnite with a controller on the iPad Pro for the first time.

Blows the Nintendo Switch out of the water. Better screen, better sound, and I can actually see the opponents. Now if PUBG mobile could just do the same, I’m set.

18. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Before getting an iPad, I’d see people constantly talk about how, after getting one, they never use their MacBook anymore and it always bewildered me. Like, how can you not use your computer all the time???

I absolutely 100% get it now.

I’ve had an iPad Pro for a little over a month now and I bust out my MBP maybe once a week? The iPad Pro is fantastic for browsing, watching things, and it’s killer for studying for the LSAT. Previously, I was printing a fuck ton of paper to do problem sets, logic games, etc., but now I can download PDFs from the LSAT course that I’m using, send the PDFs over to GoodNotes, mark it up, then wipe it so I can redo exercises without needing to make a billion physical copies. It’s so so so nice.

Can’t wait for baseball season so I can stream everything all the time.

19. The iPad and baseball combo was the best thing I did last year.

20. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Yeah that’s why I was recently talking about selling my MacBook and iPad to try to get the new iPad Pro. My MacBook just sits there now that I’m done with school. My job doesn’t require a computer and I really have no use for one at the moment. I would like to get a Mac mini eventually too but an iPad Pro would definitely be the priority.

21. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Perhaps a dumb question but when one replaces their laptop with an iPad, do you just kinda jettison your local music and photo collection? Just keep it on a hard drive? I mean, I know with Apple Music and cloud library and whatnot you dont “lose” anything, but that just sounds so daunting and intimidating.

22. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

How do people like the portrait mode on the XR?

My girlfriend really wants the coral one, but she's a hair stylist and a good portrait mode would help with her portfolio. Just wondering since it only has the one camera lens instead of two.

23. It takes excellent photos - if she just wants to take portrait modes she doesn’t need the telephoto lens really

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I’ve read that the portrait mode is better on the XR since the software algorithms are really good.

25. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I haven’t kept a personal collection of music files on a hard drive in several years. Apple Music has everything I need, and at the end of the day it’s just too convenient for me to be concerned about keeping my own collection of files. Same with my photos. They’re all stored in my iCloud Photo Library. It’s just exponentially easier for me to keep everything in iCloud for easy access across my various devices.