Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 420

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

What’s the point you’re making? I mentioned iPhones lasting longer as a possible reason earlier today.

2. That I said that literally in the first post, which gave the reasons for lower than expected sales, almost completely in China. It's been a confluence of factors and the idea that it's price, price, price is simply not bared out in the facts. That’s why I keep pushing back on it, because it misses macro trends.

Your quoted post is almost completely wrong though. Again with a focus on price and secondarily with "the only things increasing" statement.

3. Good thread.

4. Fortuitous timing given that I was just talking about it:

Regarding Apple’s Gross Margins
    In the wake of yesterday’s terrible no good very bad earnings warning, a bunch of people have been arguing with me on Twitter that Tim Cook is at fault for greedily raising prices to increase profits. I’ve been arguing since last year with the iPhone X that Apple isn’t raising prices, per se, but rather is making more expensive products.

But as this thread on Twitter with “Cremnob” shows, there shouldn’t even be any argument. Apple’s company-wide gross margins have been 37-38 percent for the last five years. Going back 10 years, there’s bit more fluctuation, but the fluctuations were higher, peaking at 44 percent in 2012.

And these are company-wide numbers. Apple’s Services revenue is growing quickly (as Apple is very happy to tell you), and it seems like their margins on services are higher than on hardware. So if high-margin services revenue is growing but overall company gross margins are stable at 38 percent, that means their margins on hardware products like iPhone are actually shrinking.

And:

The Gray Market's Impact on iPhone Pricing
    The expanding gray market for refurbished and previously-owned iPhones continues to gain legitimacy and influence. According to my estimate, approximately 150M iPhones in use passed through the gray market. This means that nearly 20% of iPhones in the wild, including hand-me-down iPhones, were previously owned by someone else. Along with helping Apple expand its user base, the gray market is also impacting Apple’s iPhone pricing strategy in an unexpected way: by driving iPhone average selling price (ASP) higher.

iPhone ASP

A few years ago, consensus was convinced that Apple would need to lower iPhone pricing due to competitive pressures. The iPhone 5c and iPhone SE, while very different from each other, were positioned by many as attempts by Apple to address lower-priced market segments.

[...]

Despite weaker demand for lower-priced iPhones, Apple continues to see modest growth in iPhone sell-through demand. This tell us that demand for new flagship iPhones has not subsided. Instead, demand for higher-priced iPhones is growing. The shift in iPhone sales momentum from lower-priced, older flagships to higher-priced iPhones is contributing to higher iPhone ASP.

5. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Is it me or did apple make your green exercise ring harder to close lately? I swear I used to come home with like 15 minutes of "exercise" just from normal walking around the office, now I hardly have any minutes when I get home.

6. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Really I think this whole story (and the analysis of it) is absolutely making the tech community rear its ugly head. I want to go back to the days when I was fascinated by tech but none of my friends cared. Now everyone has an opinion, right or wrong, and only few actually have anything of real (and factual) value to say.

I used to be such a nerd for the tech community but now I’m just bored of it, and frankly repulsed by it.

sean_rugy, David Parke and Jason Tate like this.
  7. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I think it “learns” your fitness level and adjusts accordingly. When I go through periods of not exercising I notice when I start back up it’s a lot easier at first and then gradually gets tougher as the days pass.

RJ Knorr and Jason Tate like this.
  8. Dave Diddy

Hmm I've had my apple watch for 2 years and it's always felt basically the same to me except just recently

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

My wife just said the same thing to me actually when I asked her haha.

Could make a great story though if the press finds out. “APPLE FORCING USERS INTO NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION”

RJ Knorr likes this.
  10. I know when mine isn't as "tight" and doesn't get the heart rate as well, it's harder for me.

Christian Romero likes this.
  11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I never stated them them in order of importance but just in the order that I thought of it because until I looked at the twitter links you posted, price seemed to be a large possible factor so I thought of it first. Do you believe that Tim’s meeting is completely about the sales in China? I know China is a big sales market but could low sales in China alone cause such a concern for Tim?

12. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Growth in smartphone sales is slowing as the market reaches saturation point, but hedge funds, for their own self-interested reasons, continue to demand sales growth from Apple to justify the value of their share price. This means that a slip in sales causes mass panic and makes everyone run around thinking the sky is falling while failing to look at the strong fundamentals of Apple’s business - they’re still making a shit ton of money, have a strong cashflow and are sitting on a gigantic pile of cash.

13. I mean, if you really read your first few posts, and the tone, and think this ... I dunno what to say.

I'm frustrated that we've had this entire conversation, where you made multiple claims about motivation/sales/Tim/etc., and you didn't even read Tim's letter to about the guidance shift.

14. I think their valuations so low right now I want to buy in. I, however, don't have any liquid income to do it. :-/

David Parke and scottlechowicz like this.
  15. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I strongly believe this sort of model is the way of the future. I always evaluate the value proposition of a new iPhone purchase by looking at the price of the phone divided by the number of hours I spend using it in a year - it always ends up being a relatively small cost in the end. Going to a subscription model forces the consumer to make this evaluation for themselves, which, in addition to the many other benefits, is going to work out in Apple’s favour.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. Dave Diddy

Interesting. I swear it is harder for me. I have a long hallway that I like to pace up and down while watching a show on my ipad and it always used to give me exercise minutes for it but last night it wasn't and I had to really pick my pace up to get to it. I don't know maybe I'm going crazy but I swear it's more difficult.

17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Rene just gets it. Specifically, the comment at the 4:35 mark is so spot on.

ZooZooChaCha likes this.
  18. Not sure if anyone else likes type as much as I do, but iA Writer have three great fonts that I love to use to write with. I use Duospace in Ulysses on the iPad and Quattro on Ulysses on the Mac.

Information on the font here:
    iA Writer started off with one font. The classic Nitti, designed by Bold Monday. Last year we added iA Writer Duo, a two-spaced typeface that gives a bit more room to W’s and M’s, based on IBM Plex. This year, we add a third font with four character sizes, called iA Writer Quattro and unify the designs.

Quattro shares similarities with a proportional typeface. At the same time, it retains a lot of the technical virtues of the classic typewriter fonts using wider gaps between the words and giving each letter more room than a classic, fully proportional face.

Download them on Github.

(I still write all code, and plain text in Textmate using Inconsolta LGC.)

Christian Romero likes this.
  19. love the Quattro font

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. jorbjorb

7 rings

The stock is going to rise now that they're on sale anyways.
    Not sure what the other sell offs were about but this is probably no different.
    upload_2019-1-3_22-44-47.png

21. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Yeah that was the only part I didn’t 100% agree with either. I do think there is a certain percentage of buyers who still see owning the XS or XS Max as a status thing and would never go for the less expensive option. For them, carrying the yellow or light blue iPhone XR is an immediate advertisement that you bought the cheaper iPhone. The 5C (not a fair comparison to the XR really, since it was much more inferior to the 5S of the time) struggled with the same perception.

Agree on the insufferable part - Dave2D is one of the better channels out there. But some have just become ridiculous- I still stick with Unboxed Therapy, even though Lou can be insufferable at times, the guy makes me laugh. But had to stop watching JerryRigEverything because EVERY video had to have some “sick Apple burn”. Even his SMARTPHONE durability awards video had to take a shot at the iPad Pro.

Really liked the video from Rene you posted above - he can really come off as smug sometimes in his videos, but this was one of his better ones.

22. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. There will always be a certain number of folks who want the top-of-the-line iPhone, because it's the "best" iPhone. That certainly doesn't mean it's the best purchase for each individual, but yay for the freedom of choice. What's more funny though is that the XR has not been marketed in any other way by Apple other than as a flagship-level device. If anything, they've promoted the X/XS as the premium product. The 5C, on the other hand, was pretty clearly aimed towards emerging markets as a less-expensive option.

I still follow MKBHD, Rene and Jonathan Morrison because I think they offer some insightful viewpoints on products, but the tech community and more specifically the YT tech community, have become so saturated with the exact same videos saying the exact same thing in the exact same format with the exact same conclusion - In the end it's up to you to buy what works for you. Don't even get me started on Unbox Therapy. He should mostly stick to his videos of crazy unthinkable gadgets. I follow a few others on Twitter, but I've just mostly stopped following the tech folks.

I think his smugness is really just a sign of how disgruntled he's become with the industry and those internet nerds and media that make incorrect statements and assumptions about topics that don't really know about. He's obviously very passionate about tech, and more specifically Apple and its products, but I think his smugness is fine because he follows it up with actually thoughtful points.

sean_rugy and Jason Tate like this.
  23. EntryLevelTank

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

Can you imagine any other company having a 30bn quarter and being called DOOMED

24. It's literally the third best quarter any company has ever had. It goes: Fannie Mae, Apple's best quarter, this quarter.

David Parke and Christian Romero like this.
  25. Zoshchenko Jan 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2019)
    Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

I took the pencil off my iPad Pro when I went to sleep to see if maybe that is what’s causing the overnight battery drain and I think it is? Past nights I’ve lost like 10-15% battery throughout the night, but last night it stayed at 92%

Could it really be that the pencil is what’s causing the battery drain? I can deal with that since the battery life in general has been great for my uses and I’m glad it’s not some phantom app draining the battery but I am a bit surprised

edit: i guess i’m not actually surprised. power-needing thing takes power from power-giving thing, so of course some battery is lost

thus concludes my adventures in figuring out what’s going on

David Parke and sean_rugy like this.