Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 419

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

That’s exactly what I did too with my ATV’s.

Also, per the earlier debate, I feel the need to defend the XR. I don’t feel shortchanged by what it doesn’t have at all. 3D Touch is a feature most average consumers don’t even know exists anyways, so it feels weird to prop up older phones as superior by that feature alone. Either way I’m elated with my XR and don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything my X, or the new XS, would have otherwise offered. As a matter of fact, the XR fits my needs even better given its stout battery life.

2. exactly - these kind of posts prove that the XR is a flagship device

3. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Just due to my financial situation currently I wish I would have waited for the XR

4. This is a silly argument.

Ask any app developer about the use of 3D Touch with their software, it's really low. I personally love it, but not having it does not bother ~70% of iPhone users and nixing it on the XR is probably a blessing to most average adults who only use it on accident. Besides, the XR has Haptic Touch, which is activated by a longer (not harder) press. No capability was lost, only changed.

iPhone users buy iPhones for their stability, longevity, and access to the fastest and most software community in the history of the world.

sean_rugy and Jason Tate like this.
  5. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

I can count on one hand the amount of times I remembered I had 3D Touch and used it

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  6. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

This video from Dave2D is a pretty fair assessment:

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

iPhone consumers are also buying less and less of the premium iPhones as given by Tim Cook’s necessary emergency meeting with his employees over how their $1,200 - $1,500 devices are not selling. I’m starting to get the idea that this thread is an echo chamber of people just being ignorant to how Apple’s recent sales with this generation of iPhones have been. No one on any other site regarding this news is avoiding the reality that these prices are not going well with consumers. There’s a reason this is alarming to Apple.

:-/

8. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

3D touch is something i never use at all - i wouldnt miss it or probably even notice it was no longer an option for me.

9. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

He makes some good points, but I will absolutely not stand for his comment that the XR is the “derpy” version of iPhone. I get his point, but, I will defend this phone until I die! It doesn’t have to be coined as “flagship” to be a fantastic product.

The tech community is becoming (or already is) an insufferable one.

sean_rugy and Jason Tate like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don’t use it either because it’s not anymore convenient than actually clicking on messages or safari with taps left open.

To consumers, it apprently makes a difference on what modern iPhones offer and how much they cost. iPhones are sort of a status symbol, so what features the phones have, even if they don’t use them, will be a factor. Why else would sales be this surpringly disappointing to the point that Tim is needing to hold a meeting pronto?

11. No, I’ve just said repeatedly that you can’t draw the conclusion of “why” based on the facts we have. The gross margins haven’t changed. To say you know that it’s only because of “cost” is to ignore the facts. That’s not an echo chamber here, that’s a priori reasoning from you.

12. You know the XR has been the best selling iPhone since it was available, right?

What you keep saying is just not supported by the facts.

For literally all the reasons that have been given like five times now.

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I liked this video. Of course this is just a hiccup to Apple but it’s a big enough one to where they hopefully become aware that something in their iPhone lineup/prices need to be re-evaluated.

14. Bingo.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I haven’t said that I believe it’s *only* the price but wouldn’t you agree that price does have a big influence on phone sales and that the Xs and Xs Max are offered at high amounts compared to the competition and their GB offered?

What do you think the factors are to the low sales?

16. You have repeatedly said that’s the reason, while ignoring the other factors for slightly reduced guidance. Guidance which still includes a fuck ton of iPhones being sold. I think a saturated market of phones that work longer than ever before is far more of a factor; the longer upgrade cycle.

Nope. The competition isn’t an iPhone. It’s a premium product at a premium price.

17. DickyCullz

iPad Pro and Pencil arrive tomorrow. EEEEEEEEEEE

Now a painful wait for the folio keyboard case

Dirty Sanchez, Arry and Jason Tate like this.
  18. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

jealousssss, i decided to wait until tax refund to get my ipad pro :(

Christian Romero likes this.
  19. Same same.

Arry likes this.
  20. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

The thing is though, they still outsell the competition by large numbers. Samsung has struggled to sell their devices (at lower prices) this year as has been reported by countless outlets, countless times.

Samsung confirms slow Galaxy S9 sales in quarterly report

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. DickyCullz

promised myself I will save my tax refund this year and used my Christmas bonus instead. see you back in here in April when I'm buying something else haha

22. Exactly, what you have to do is control for the China market, global downturn, upgrade cycle elongating, and then make the case that other phone manufactures are seeing more success because of cost. But you can't make that argument when you look at the global share of smartphone profits and who captures the most of it.

As I've said, there are arguments to make that a new device should be introduced to capture market share and not leave a price umbrella, they've tried it before with the 5C, but there are so many more factors at play in having a great, but not record breaking, quarter, and why iPhone (and all smartphone) growth is stagnating that is not related to the cost of the device, or solved by lowering it.

And on that topic:

https://500ish.com/apples-precarious-and-pivotal-2019-f4f8cea3993a
    This is fascinating! Cook is basically making a case for the end of buying phones at full price each year and instead, a world in which you pay Apple in perpetuity to constantly get the new iPhone. This is — wait for it — a service! The name is even right there for the taking: iPaaS — iPhone as a Service.

And it’s a service Apple already has, in the form of the iPhone Upgrade Program! Unfortunately, it’s not a great service right now — I’m a member — as it’s largely outsourced to a third-party, Citizens Bank. Cook is suggesting that Apple is going to put a lot more emphasis here. Which makes a lot of sense, both to help continue to obfuscate the true price of the iPhone, but also to keep that all-important base of users locked in.

It’s also Apple’s most interesting inroad to an “Apple Prime” offering. That is, an all-encompassing suite of services you pay Apple for — just like Amazon Prime, with all that offers from an Amazon-perspective.

Heh, I had this same thought the other day.

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’ve said it’s a reason but not the sole reason, although, I have focused more on it. I also mentioned how there is less incentive for people to upgrade due to how long iPhones last. The D2 video brought up a good point about the battery replacement as well.

25. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Of course. iPhones are still immensely popular phones and have a more loyal fanbase than Galaxy phones will ever have. The decrease in sales is still apparently a reason of concern to Tim and low S9 sales can’t automatically rule out potential iPhone consumers going to other phones.