Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 358

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Compare the iPhone 8 screen with the iPhone X screen and the difference in quality is noticeable

2. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Okay that’s true but “LCD is garbage” is hyperbole lol

3. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I agree, it's certainly noticeable but depending on a person's budget and what not, dropping an extra 300 bucks or whatever it is for the OLED isn't going to be worth it for a lot of people, especially people who don't own anything OLED and have been getting along just fine with LCD for years. I have an iphone x and an OLED tv so it's safe to say i'm a big fan, but I'm also someone who is willing to fork out a pretty penny for the latest and greatest electronics.

sean_rugy and The Lucky Moose like this.
  4. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, duh? But to say LCD is garbage is idiotic at best. Don't you work at an Apple store? Do you tell customers any iPhone display besides the X is garbage?

jorbjorb and LightWithoutHeat like this.
  5. Sorry I left out words - the lcd is garbage compared to an oled screen - thought you guys could deduce that much from my post comparing the two

6. I don't know, I would probably end up getting the "garbage" budget LCD model since it still has the same design as the iPhone X and since I'm a broke college student :crylaugh:

7. sammyboy516 Aug 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2018)
    sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Still disagree but whatever, and way to doge a good point lol. Your point was never unclear your language is just a little unnecessary and a bit belittling (in my opinion) to someone who might not be able to afford the OLED model.

Edit: this sounded way more mad than I actually am (I’m not at all), I’m just clarifying that it wasn’t that I didn’t “deduce” what you meant.

jorbjorb likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

How well is the activity and heart tracker on the Watch? I have always used a traditional watch but I'm considering an Apple Watch mainly for the activity tracker. I'm pretty athletic and active but I have never paid much attention to what my actual numbers are and have never paid attention to how low/high by heart rate gets daily. Is there also a Series 3 without cellular connectivity? I'm only seeing cellular series 3 models on Apple's site.

9. cryates Aug 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 15, 2018)
    cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Activity tracking can be iffy for me sometimes depending on what I'm doing and if it can accurately read my heart rate (it seems to be not as accurate for weight training), but the heart rate monitor is shockingly accurate. My doctor asks to see my heart rate charts in the health app at my routine checkups.

Also, love the avatar!

Drew Beringer likes this.
  10. A Ford Focus is a good car but it’s garbage compared to a Mercedes Benz

jorbjorb likes this.
  11. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

How spoiled are we? Both technologies are a fucking miracle that have taken some of the brightest minds in existence decades to develop. LCDs have revolutionized electronics across multiple industries. One day it may be accurate to refer to it as "dated", but garbage it is not.

I work in photonics though so I may be a bit biased.

12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yea I’ve never looked at my SE and thought “this screen isn’t good enough” so the thought of paying more for a better screen is silly, even if it looks better side by side. Ignorance is bliss I suppose, and cheaper.

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Thanks. I would be interested in seeing my heart rate throughout my workouts so that’s a little bit of a downer. Apparently the Watch 4 will have improved readings and better battery so I’ll see how well that does next month.

And thanks. Glad to see an AUFC supporter.

14. I mean, it's there ... I've never seen any issues with it:

Image.png

justin. likes this.
  15. I looked at the SE we have in the closet recently to do some testing on it ... and I have thought exactly this. Compared to the X I use every day it looks .... bad.

16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

As someone who uses an Apple Watch with fitness routines, how would you rate it on accuracy/performance?

17. I don't have anything beside an old fitbit my girlfriend used ... a few years ago now ... but I have zero problems with it and it gives way more information than the fitbit she was using ever did. I use it almost exclusively as a fitness tracker at this point and it's been great. I use it virtually every single day at the gym.

Christian Romero and justin. like this.
  18. Tweetbot Removes Timeline Streaming, Activity and Stats Tab, and Push Notifications for Some Features Ahead of Twitter Changes
    Ahead of upcoming Twitter changes set to be implemented tomorrow, Tapbots has released an updated version of its Tweetbot app for iOS devices, removing several features that have been present in the app for years.

Timeline streaming over Wi-Fi has been disabled, which means Twitter timelines will refresh every one to two minutes instead of as new tweets come in. We’ve been using the Tweetbot for iOS app in a beta capacity with these changes implemented, and while it’s not a huge change, the delay is noticeable.
    Man, fuck you Twitter. This makes watching sports with a third-party Twitter client basically pointless.

19. Or any Apple keynote. I can't stand using the first party Twitter client, so this really sucks.

Jason Tate and David Parke like this.
  20. What Twitter is best at ... LIVE EVENTS ... is now on a tape delay. Good job Twitter. Just great all around.

Christian Romero likes this.
  21. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I hate how the breaking news alerts in Apple News have been abused so much by content providers, that now receiving an alert is almost zero indication as to whether the story is breaking news or not.

[​IMG]

Chris Yates, zigbigwig and Daniel182 like this.
  22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Now that’s trash. I haven’t used Apple News in over a year.

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. You just described all notifications lol

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Is there a way to keep a specific app on loud when my phone is set to vibrate? I always put it on vibrate before bed but we have a security cam on our front door now and I’d like to be able to hear the alerts during the night but don’t want any other alerts to make sound.

25. I think that’s up to the developer. I use do not disturb at night but my baby monitor app will alert me if I have it set up to do so.