Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Company • Page 173

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Bear is great. It's so simple to use and beautiful to look at that I went ahead and bought the subscription for it. Tried without it for a while and realized other themes and cross device syncing would put the app over the top for me. Going to be keeping track of all the 2017 albums I listen to on there so it's nice to be able to input them into the list no matter where I am!
    For those who don't know, the app is free! The subscription gives you the extra features (mine most importantly being cross device syncing) but if you're unsure, I definitely say go try it out for free at least!

Eric Wilson likes this.
  2. For media / automated media grabbing nerds:

I played around with Sonarr, Couch Potato, and SABnbzd over the weekend, and if you've got a separate media server or NAS or something like that, these are cool programs worth giving a look at. I was impressed with how much you can do with them to organize your media library, grab things like TV shows when they're released, and stuff like that. The integrations SABnbzd has is really impressive (like being able to send a push notification when it grabs something).

Anyway, figured it was worth sharing for those that hadn't heard about them (I think they've been around for a while, but I finally had a minute to play with them).

sean_rugy and pauljgreco like this.
  3. And lastly, after using it for three weeks I finally moved to Tower as my git GUI of choice and bit the bullet on that price. I'd been using Source Tree before, but there's just something about Tower that fits my workflow and how my brain thinks more. (It also feels more Mac-like.)

Plus the Kaleidoscope integration is really nice for handling diff/conflict/merges.

Snewt likes this.
  4. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Going to give this a try. Been looking for a good Evernote alternative.

Christian Romero likes this.
  5. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Awesome! It might not be the note taking app for everyone, but it's definitely a simple app to use. Let me know how you like it!

Christian Romero and Eric Wilson like this.
  6. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Also as I sit here procrastinating my homework, why the hell would they get rid of the iPad Mini (there's been speculation that they may not update it for a while, if ever again??)
    This thing is the perfect size for me. Granted, my hands are kind of small but still. Super portable and in my opinion, perfect to read on.

7. I'd assume the iPhone Plus has been eating its sales.

8. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

to an iOS device? that's incredible. I need to sit down one weekend and get this all set-up.

9. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Very true. I can't imagine using a Plus phone all the time personally. Just too big for me. I can see how it would eat into the Mini sales though.
    Just really love this thing. Have all my textbooks and basically complete all of my classwork on it besides taking exams (which won't work through the app for my online classes.)

10. Yep. You can configure it to use Pushbullet or Pushover. I already had Pushover on my phone from when I was testing what's the best way to maybe send forum notifications in some way, and all it took was adding the little # thing Pushover gives you into the app and setting up what you want notifications for. A few hours later my phone buzzes and let's me know the new Billions episode downloaded. Opened Plex on the TV and there it was.

Sometimes technology is really fucking cool.

11. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Jason Tate I know we've talked briefly about Plex before, but what do you use as your server for that? I was just using my laptop but movies and TV shows were just taking up too much space.

12. The first Mac I had was one of those black Macbooks, and after playing around with it and falling in love with Coda, I wanted to try to use OS X as my full time machine but wasn't really ready to commit yet, and since I had a spare monitor at the time I bought a Mac Mini to use. I would switch between my Windows machine and the Mac Mini during the day and slowly moved from Windows to the Mac full time (and then bought a Mac Pro and all the fixings). So, once I did that I had a left over Mac Mini. The Plex server, and automated programs, all run on that as a headless server in the closet. I connect to it remotely if I need to do any work on it or fix stuff. Then I attached a 6TB WD external drive to it and that's where all the media gets stored and it's as simple as pointing Plex to the folders. Plus, since Plex is awesome, I can easily add another external hard drive and combine the libraries if I ever run out of space (which will probably take me a while).

Since I already had the Mac Mini, that was the cheapest solution for me (buying a HD + some software) to set up the little home server and just put it out of the way in the closet doing it's little thing.

rxbandit89 likes this.
  13. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I took all the stuff off of my laptop and put it on a hard drive. I think my main one I use for backups is only 500gb though. I do have a 1TB drive around here somewhere that my cousin just gave me when he moved. I might use that and plug it into my laptop for Plex for now since I don't have a separate computer/server. And this way I don't have to spend any money at all haha.

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Damn, I had no clue they had that many options. Ideally, I'd want one of these too. Someone needs to hire me ASAP so I can afford things again.

15. I didn't either, I just hear them talking about it on ATP all the time.

Haha, I would be down for a 40TB option. Hahaha.

I do like that the Mac Mini lets me easily run programs I already know though (Hazel, Dropbox, BackBlaze) without needing to do anything special. But still, those are cool.

16. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

THAT is the dream. now I'm really excited.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I think MPU mentions it quite a bit, too.

I'm gonna have to dig into it a little more and see if the external hard drive plugged into my laptop will be the best option for my set up. It probably is, but the nerd in me wants more options haha.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Sonarr makes TV consumption so easy. I'd have fallen behind on so much without it, I reckon.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

ugh i couldn't agree more with this post. there are some times when a bigger screen would be nice, but i love the mini so darn much. reaaaally want a mini pro release

also: anyone have any recs for relatively cheap bluetooth earbuds? the wire on my apple EarPods today. looking for similar quality, really just for the gym and walking to class.

20. http://amzn.to/2o8K6rF

Anthony Brooks, pauljgreco and js977 like this.
  21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Got my Apple Watch this morning (I just bought a refurbished series 2 through apple). I made phone calls, returned messages, did my workout while listening to a Blink and NFG mix, and closed my rings..... Why didn't I get one of this things before? They are so awesome.

I'll check back in a week for an update just for poops and giggles to see if my excitement level stayed the same.

22. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Got mine at the start of the year and wouldn't change it for anything. I can't wear it during work so it's usually in my pocket but it picks up my rings still which is really nice. Obviously not going to be as accurate but the results aren't too much different than if I'm wearing it, so I'm happy! Loving my Watch.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  23. twisterman2006

Trusted Supporter

Sorry for the double post but....
    I really want AirPods.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

How do AirPods perform while working out? I mainly run, lift, and play basketball. I can only imagine they would fall out like regular apple headphones.