Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Unveils New Mac Book Pros

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Apple unveiled some new MacBook Pros today. Here’s Jason Snell, at Six Colors, talking about the updates:

The new MacBook Pros, the first major revision of Apple’s flagship Mac since the unveiling of the Retina MacBook Pro in 2012, possess all the things you’d expect from a new Apple product. They’re thinner and lighter, more powerful, integrate Apple-originated technology, and question basic assumptions about the product category they reside in.

With the Touch Bar, Apple’s questioning the existence of the function row at the top of our keyboards. Over the years Apple has de-emphasized the size of those keys and remapped them to system functions, and now it’s doing away with keys altogether. A programmable multi-touch display can provide virtual keys and sliding interface elements based on context. Having a custom button properly labeled sure beats “Press F10.”

2. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I dig it, but I think Apple's "problem", design-wise, is that the Macbook Pro of the past several years is so sleek and dare I say "perfect", that it's hard to make improvements.

3. metallikunt Oct 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 27, 2016)
    metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

What's with all the Apple news lately? None of the new Microsoft products from their event got a mention on the site, so why Apple? Just curious, is all. I mean it's your website and can post whatever you want but still. Why one but not the other?

I feel like The Surface Studio deserves a mention too:

Check out the gorgeous promo videos for the new Surface Studio and Surface Book

Here are the Surface Studio specs

Or even the Groove Music Maker (this is a music site after all):

Microsoft's Groove Music Maker is the coolest thing they didn't announce today

4. Because I don't use any Microsoft products. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Studio looks pretty interesting though for people that aren't using Cintiqs.

5. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

I'm not sold at all on the touch bar. seems gimmicky, just like all the imessage updates. they'll be used initially, but i'm not convinced it will make lives easier at all (unless you're a dj using strictly the mac for your mixing).

6. Hunter Norman

Regular

I still use my 2011 MBP for my daily work/task use as a portable and for design. But everything I do for programming, etc. has always been split between that and a windows workstation at home. That being said, the microsoft event gave me everything I wanted and the apple event just kind of let me down. The new MBP is cool as a notebook, but for the particular line they took away the 'pro' aspect for the most part. I'll never be able to move from the '11/'12 MBP line at this rate, but they definitely added some really cool components.

paperlung likes this.
  7. DearCory

Regular

Apple event was a major letdown. 4 years and all we get are incremental updates and a touch bar... I wasn't expecting the moon, but I thought there's be a little bit more (maybe use of the pencil on the huge new touchpad???)

I upped my 2012 pro's ram and put in an SSD and the machine is now running like a beast. Especially with the new update's prices, I see absolutely no reason to upgrade.

8. Jared Luttrell

Regular

My god those prices have really gotten out of hand. They've priced me out at this point. Not sure what my plan will be when the time comes to update my older macbook pro.
    $2300 USD for a BASE 15" model with only 256gb?

9. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

I feel your pain, I was looking at the prices today and just came to the depressing realization that I can't justify making a 15" MacBook Pro purchase for the lowest price model. I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2011 that I've switched over to an SSD already so maybe I'll just upgrade the RAM when it starts to slow down (it amazingly hasn't yet).

Dreading the day when I have to make an actual decision on a new computer purchase. MacBook would for sure be my #1 choice, but it's just too pricey for me at this point.