Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Music on Track to Overtake Spotify in U.S. Subscribers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Wall Street Journal:

Apple Inc.’s streaming-music service, introduced in June 2015, has been adding subscribers in the U.S. more rapidly than its older Swedish rival—a monthly growth rate of 5% versus 2%—according to people in the music business familiar with figures reported by the two services. Assuming that pace continues, Apple will overtake Spotify in the world’s biggest music market this summer.

Interesting.

BEsterley likes this.
  2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Obviously just my opinion, but Apple Music is the superior product. Beats1 and the interviews/artist-hosted shows make it worth the price when comparing to Spotify.

BEsterley and Jason Tate like this.
  3. Spenny

Regular

I can never see myself using Apple Music, at least until they sort out their horrid UI.

Ryan likes this.
  4. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I can't stand Spotify's UI so I guess this is fairly subjective. :hearno:

5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I love Apple Music. If they want to fully take over spotify, I think they need to figure out a way to improve the I guess "social media" aspects of it? My friends who prefer it to Apple Music complain that it's not as easy to share playlists and that Spotify is better at putting playlists together and things like that.

CMilliken and Jonathan like this.
  6. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Agree. Spotify has the social element down, and more partnerships. Apple has somewhat copied what Rdio did, where you can now see your friends' faces over albums/songs they've listened to, but there's not a real social feed which would be more helpful.

Aside from that, some dating apps even allow you to link your Spotify playlists/top artists to your profile, so I can't do that.

Ryan Gardner and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  7. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I use Spotify myself - I'm not really aware of the key differences that would sway a person one way or the other.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea that was the other thing I was thinking is Spotify has way more places you can link to, but I figure if Apple Music ends up bigger, that stuff will all come.

9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Album exclusives, for one. Beats1. But those are just the ones swaying me, not the same for everyone, obviously.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. Spenny

Regular

Maybe things have changed since I last checked out Apple Music. I'll try to check it out tonight. But moving all my playlists over after 3.5 years on Spotify would be a nightmare.

11. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

12. noKings

Regular

I feel like Spotify's algorithm is much better. Way better.

Ryan, Joe4th and TJ Wells like this.
  13. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

What about Tidal, though? Jay Z has something cookin', right?........RIGHT?!

clucky, mattfreaksmeout and Jonathan like this.
  14. Spenny

Regular

15. Jonathan and Spenny like this.
  16. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I'm not very articulate at times so I apologize if I don't get across my thought right, but it's interesting to me that the "verb product" is being overtaken. Like, when people refer to streaming in general, I often hear Spotify as the first name.

But I do like Apple Music a lot more and think it's more intuitive to my streaming desires so it does make sense, it's just interesting in a way like if one day we found out Vimeo is overtaking YouTube (obviously a more extreme example).

17. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

Spotify has a better Discover section, but overall I like Apple Music

18. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Apple Music is very easily my favorite streaming service. But, I also never use playlists and I spend my time on a music forum so I never really need the “discovery” aspect

BEsterley, Jason Tate and Jonathan like this.
  19. robargarthan

I used Spotify for over a year and just recently switched to Apple Music. I don't regret my decision at all. The that I consume music may different than most people though. I generally just find what I want to listen to on Apple Music, save/download it to my phone, then listen to it from the Library tab when I open the app. I don't do a lot of searching or exploring through it. I think Apple Music has Spotify beat when it's coming to a Library interface and accessing music stored on your phone, but Spotify's search function feels better. Just seems to come down to preference.

20. zachmacD

Trusted

Apple Music is great. I can’t imagine using any other service

21. CMilliken

Trusted

Completely agree. I wish more artists published playlists on Apple Music like they do on Spotify.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  22. BelieF

Regular

Hard to beat Hulu and Spotify for $5 as a student tho.
    I bought my first iPhone last year and tried Apple Music. After two months I went back. I personally only found one friend that uses Apple Music everyone else I spoke to told me they use Spotify or YouTube. Love being on Spotify and seeing friends listening to music I had no idea they knew about. Also Spotify runs more smoothly on pc than Apple Music but no I’ll assume it probably runs great on Mac.

~2 cents

23. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Funny enough half the reason I use Apple Music is so people AREN'T constantly seeing what I'm listening to hahaha

It's so much nicer being able to avoid dumb arguments about arbitrary taste

But for people who are more social about general music taste I'm sure it's better for getting recs and the like

24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I tried Apple Music for the free month or whatever, really didn't like it, back on Spotify.

25. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Agreed. I used to work for Apple, and you'd be surprised how overwhelmingly people didn't use Apple Music.

noKings likes this.