Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Music’s U.S. Subscriber Count Overtakes Spotify

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Reuters is reporting that Apple Music has surpassed Spotify in paid monthly U.S. subscribers:

Apple Inc’s streaming music service overtook rival Spotify Technology SA in terms of paid subscribers in the United States, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.

Apple’s service had 28 million subscribers as of the end of February compared with Spotify’s 26 million paid subscribers, the person said.

2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

With all the shitty updates spotify has made in the past few months, I see this continuing.

SpinelessYesBloke likes this.
  3. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

I miss Spotify playlists but I think Apple Music really excels when it comes to organizing a large library. I haven't regretting switching.

BEsterley likes this.
  4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

What are some of the updates? Just curious.

5. Mason

Regular

I never really tried Spotify so can't really comment on which one is better. But Ive had Apple Music for over a year and I love it.

BEsterley likes this.
  6. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

They updated the EPs to actually show as an EP instead of a single, but then updated the discography feature and reverted that. Mostly just artist page updates that I hate haha.

beachdude and contra11mundum like this.
  7. thevheissu

that's not how the force works Prestigious

Apple Music, while it will never reach the greatness that was Rdio (RIP), is the best music streaming service out there.

BEsterley likes this.
  8. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

I switched to Apple Music early last year and I’ll never go back

BEsterley likes this.
  9. zachmacD

Trusted

I’ve only ever had Apple Music but I’ve had it for almost 3 years at this point and it’s awesome. I can’t imagine ever switching

BEsterley likes this.
  10. heymattrick

Sending my love

Why do I feel like I’m the only one who has AM? My friends overwhelmingly are Spotify users

11. Free is very popular. Haha.

12. Quijiba

Haha exactly. I don't have a single friend that has apple music. They all use spotify because it is free. But this is also paid subscribers so not the same as total users for spotify (which is obviously significantly higher)

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

They removed the ability to see how long an album is and it's very fucking annoying

14. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Yeah, Spotify’s latest tinkering on mobile has thrown it for a loop. Some just straight up terrible design, which some was quickly fixed. Still a lot of questionable choices. My user experience has gotten worse lately.

But I still don’t dream of switching. Right now, both are very high quality. If someone told me I have to switch tomorrow, I’d be salty I’m losing my library, but I think I could pick up AM and be very happy with it with some adjustment.

Honestly, seems inevitable that AM will push Spotify out. Once I saw Spotify crying about Apple’s antitrust, I knew they know they’re on the ropes. It’ll take a while though. Hopefully they continue to push each other and deliver the best product to us consumers.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  15. Spenny

Regular

I seem to be alone here, but I tried Apple Music around two years ago and hated it. I primarily use playlists and it was a nightmare to navigate the UI of the AM app. Maybe things have changed, might need to check it out. I've been a Spotify Premium member for 4.5 years and it would take a lot to make me want to change over.

16. SpinelessYesBloke

Co-host of The Wasting Time Podcast

Used Spotify for three years but the recent updates were awful. The app would freeze constantly and I couldn't find a way to fix it - looking on the app store, I certainly wasn't the only one.

Switch to Apple Music a couple of months ago, it is vastly superior!

BEsterley likes this.
  17. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

One of the coolest features of Apple Music is if you just say "play music" it makes an on the fly playlist of what seems to be like 80 percent of what's in your library and 20 percent of stuff similar to what's in your library and always keeps me interested. I don't use Spotify so I'm not sure if they do this too but I love this feature on Apple Music.

heymattrick and slickdtc like this.
  18. AMC

Regular

Google play music to me is a no brainier. The added bonus of YouTube ad free is just too hard not to have.

19. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Once you do this, if you go into the radio section of AM it will list a station under recently played entitled "your name's station" so it's easy to find in the future.

BEsterley likes this.