Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Event Roundup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Verge has a pretty good roundup of the Apple announcements today:

After a busy fall announcement season, Apple has unveiled what’s expected to be the last of its hardware refreshes this year with the introduction of a new iPad Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini. All new devices are available for preorder today with a ship date of November 7th. Here’s a look at them all.

That new iPad sure looks great.

2. rushlinburg

Maybe it's just my recent disenchantment with Apple products but I really don't find anything about these new releases to write home about. Outside of the usual incremental hardware advances, they haven't really given us anything great. I do, however, appreciate that the new apple pencil looks a little bit easier to hold than the first version.

3. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I felt that way with the September keynote. And it’s the first time in 4 or so years that I’m not upgrading to the newest iPhone. The new phones are certainly better but nothing geabbed my attention.

However, I do think today’s event was a success. The new iPad blew my away and am heavily considering upgrading.

4. rushlinburg

Are you wanting to upgrade from the previous iPad Pro or one of the other models?

5. There's nothing incremental about the silicon and camera teams. The A12 is lapping the competition.

6. rushlinburg

I just went through the phone specs on the website and you're right. It is quite an improvement. I suppose most of my issues come with me not feeling as inspired by their products as I once did. I am definitely not qualified enough to make claims on the technical aspects of the machines.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I certainly don’t doubt the quality of the technical advances, but I think for anyone less than a professional user it’s easy to see why one wouldn’t be blown away by it. In the end an iPad is an iPad. Interestingly enough I thought the new iPhones were the first since my first iPhone (4s) to really wow me, and since I use my iPad way more than my phone, I really like the bigger screen on the 11”. Way too expensive for me though.

8. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

Yes. I got a 10.5 inch iPad Pro last year. Should have waited, but the new specs and design have me very interested.

I know the question "Can it replace a computer" has been asked every year since the beginning, but I honestly think we are finally at the point with the new design/specs that we have an honest argument that it could very well replace a computer.

Of course it depends on what you do for work - but I think the average person/professional could easily make the switch.

I have a 12 inch MacBook that works great, but my iPad runs circles around it in performance.

9. The Mac Mini is back!

10. AMC

Regular

I usee to love iPhones and iPads, but Samsung Galaxy and my pixel have passed the iPhone. By a margin. Apple has been playing catch up for at least 3 years now.
    The iPad looks great. 1000 dollars though? Come on!