Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Announces New iPhones, Apple TV, and Apple Watch • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Did you go into a store for this?

2. golferpunk1

If they are touting wireless charging as the big feature of the 8, they should include a charging pad with the phone. In order to take advantage of the biggest new feature in the phone you are on the hook for a pretty pricey accessory. Pretty lame IMO.

3. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

This one came out better than any of your others

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  4. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

The face id didn't fail in the demo, he grabbed the wrong one I believe. Someone correct me if i'm wrong?

5. CMilliken

Trusted

UV is basically forced to now right? I hate UV with a passion. I still Buy most of my movies physically but with that announcement Apple might have won me over as a digital movie person. Upgrading a library is really annoying so to automatically get the 4K upgrade for free was the biggest surprise from Apple. I’ve heard Disney isn’t going to play nice with this though cause they love re-releasing their movies.

6. CMilliken

Trusted

Does anyone do the upgrade program through Apple rather than their cellular carrier? Is it worth it?

7. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I think it's just a feature, not the biggest feature. And wireless charging pads start at like $12, it's not a huge cost, and you can still charge your phone the old-fashioned way.

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Elder Lightning

It costs a little more, but it has AppleCare+ built into the price. For the X, AC+ will be $199/2 years, and for my carrier (Verizon) the Apple plan is about $8/month more, so it costs less than buying AppleCare on its own.

9. CMilliken

Trusted

Have you upgraded every year?

10. Elder Lightning

I have not, I'm currently on the 6S, which I got at the subsidized 2-year contract price that I don't think is available anymore.

But I think I'm going to end up with the X and doing the Apple plan, unless Verizon does a trade-in plan like TMobile to go through them.

CMilliken likes this.
  11. golferpunk1

It is the only noticeable feature if you're going from the 7 to the 8.

12. Elder Lightning

It's may be the most noticeable feature, especially on the surface, but it's not the only noticeable feature. There is a new design, new processor, neural engine, updated camera, and updated display (TrueTone).

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. It didn't fail in the demo. The phone has to be unlocked with a pin first after a reboot, just like Touch ID. Says it right on the slide. The phone had rebooted or wasn't unlocked first before the demo.

fenway89 and KidLightning like this.
  14. They have to show two lines of phones because they sell so many of them they have to build them at massive scale. And can't build the X anywhere near demand of the iPhone.

fenway89 and KidLightning like this.
  15. delvec19

Trusted

16. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

17. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

What @Jason Tate said: Apple's first Face ID demo failed, but it wasn't Face ID's fault

fenway89 and Jason Tate like this.
  18. Hunter Norman

Regular

That makes sense too. I still feel like if they knew they were going to go in a certain direction they could have planned accordingly to build to scale with the X, I just feel like they didn't want to push out the users who weren't interested in the new design, especially losing a home button. Having previously worked for Apple for a long time, I definitely can see how so many people become conditioned to the design and functionality of the more familiar device.

19. It's not physically possible to produce the phones to the scale the iPhone sells at in 2017. No one can make enough of the screens to the scale and quality needed. This phone has been planned for years now, it's not a planning thing, it's a "literally impossible to make that many screens" (and other components) thing.

20. Hunter Norman

Regular

Yes and no. Samsung outsold Apple in Q1 of 2017 and were one of several phone manufacturers who made a fairly drastic design change with curved infinity screens. It can be done, but I think the market share aspect of producing both lines played into it. They're also getting a lot more non-apple users on board with the X.

21. Jason Tate Sep 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2017)
    There is no "yes" to what cannot be physically produced.

Samsung as a whole outsold Apple, the amount of phones with those screens did not. (Let alone the screen type, and specifications, and QA the X is specifically using.)

No, it can't.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Jason, excuse my ignorance but you seem knowledgeable. If they can't produce the X screens on that scale will they continue to design old style phones (like 8) in the future and always have a cheaper option? Or will old style phones be phased out next time around? When you say they're impossible to mass produce on the quantity levels needed will that always be the case or is their scope to develop processes?

It may be too soon to speculate about the next iPhones, but I'm interested on the back of the info posted in this thread.

23. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

While I'm sure some is supply line constraint.

The marketing of a premium limited product is really smart in an product category that is very saturated and has become more competitive at the top between Samsung and Apple.

I was at Verizon yesterday and they were already talking about getting on a pre/pre order list. Haha

24. They are currently spending a lot of money to try and get LG quality up to snuff. Right now, they're just not good enough. Once they can go to multiple suppliers for the screens they'll be able to produce more phones and move them down to the price point they want.

I think they'll keep the current "8" around for at least another year, they usually move the previous phones down the line to hit different price points. My assumption is they'll continue that trend for a while.

Just right now, mainly because there's a monopoly on the specific screens they're buying and they have a very strict quality requirement for them.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  25. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

My only hope is they never go back to the headphone jack. I've bought so many fucking little headphone dongles.

I lose one every 3 months easy.