Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Announces New iPhones, Apple TV, and Apple Watch • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Maybe I'll finally get to iPhone 7 now

Robk, KidLightning and js977 like this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Down for this!

Ryan Gardner and KidLightning like this.
  3. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

The iPhones are definitely disappointing, especially for that ridiculous price tag. There's nothing new or groundbreaking when compared to other phones. The Galaxy Note 8 still remains the current best phone on the market, unless you're that desperate for 'animoji'...

The Apple Watch 3 working as an iPod is great though.

4. Well, that's just silly and not true.

5. JonnyMac

Newbie Supporter

Seriously, this is kind of a game changing announcement that most people should be paying more attention to. It completely disrupts the upgrade system that has been the norm in the industry (I've purchased the Star Wars Trilogy in 4 formats, but Lucasfilms' release strategy was one of the worst for fans/best for monetizing a great product). I expected an upgrade pathway (like an additional $3/movie to move from HD>4K), but free upgrades are incredible.

It will be interesting to see if Ultraviolet is given a similar perk...

CMilliken and fenway89 like this.
  6. bloodinthesand

Regular

$1000 for a phone is just stupid....I also hate how apple has changed the jack again so everyone needs to buy their charger and wireless headphones. Getting a little ridiculous

7. Or, $1000 for an insane, used almost hourly, pocket computer with one of the best general purpose, mass produced photo and video cameras ever made ... is pretty incredible. My laptop in college was 1/100th of this machine and cost 3x as much.

8. bloodinthesand

Regular

Still not worth it...

9. And yet they'll be sold out for months and remain one of the most used, and important, devices for a good portion of the world. Weird.

10. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Just picked up a 55" HDR/4K Sony TV, and I haven't yet seen ANY 4K content, so the Apple TV 4K is an easy sell for me. I still have the original Apple Watch (and not even the one which received a chip update, the original original), so Series 3 (with LTE) is an easy sell as well.

iPhone X for sure, but I wish people would stop talking about the price tag, it's not going to cost that much with a plan unless you all pay for your phones outright. I'm on the AT&T next plan, my wireless bill is a bit insane, but I don't have to drop a ton of cash upfront and get a new phone next year.

EDIT: Also, I echo @Jason Tate's sentiments – I use this device DAILY, and much more than my work laptop or home desktop, both of which cost 3-4x as much. People need to stop saying "1k for a phone" when hardly anyone uses it solely as a phone (hell, most people don't even use the phone app itself anymore).

11. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Such as? Dual cameras, wireless charging, OLED screen, bezel-free design, etc. None of these features are new.

I'm got an S8 and the X's specs don't even compare months later:
    iPhone X: 5.8 in, 2436×1125, 458ppi
    Galaxy S8: 5.8 in, 2960x1440, 572ppi

So my phone is higher resolution and sharper; nevermind comparing the iPhone X to the Note 8.

Haven't seen any reliable benchmarks on the CPU yet so can't compare the processors yet but there's really nothing else to be amazed by. Especially not for £360 more. Yeah, no thanks.

12. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Oh, so you're that guy with the green bubbles getting left out of group messages, got it. :-)

13. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

The iPhone X is boss! I think it's $999 USD for the 64GB.

So what's the 256GB gonna cost??! :O

14. Jason Tate Sep 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 12, 2017)
    I always find it interesting when people check off boxes as though just having something makes it comparable. The difference between the cameras is far, far more important, and in-depth, than "dual cameras." From the components themselves to how it works with the software and hardware. The iPhone X camera looks second to none.

Come on, you gotta know resolution isn't the only thing that makes a screen look great. TrueTone and the wide color display are incredible. Resolution and PPI is not all a screen makes.

I mean, the current iPhone 7 Plus still routinely beats out the Galaxy Note 8.

The Geekbench score is incredible. What Apple is doing with their A line of chips is world class, if you're not amazed by the silicon team, you're not paying attention to what they're doing.

Thread:

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Somewhat unrelated but I wish Apple would provide an upgrade path for users who have SD movies in their libraries. I still have a few of these which came as free downloads with blu-rays/DVDs. Hell, I'd even buy them again, but I'm wary of duplicates in my library which I can't remove permanently.

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Oh, and iOS is a huge factor. Not just in software, but the performance of the device and how it works with the hardware.

17. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

Guys and Gals! Super unrelated - but Brand New was incredible last night. The lights and the sound and the setlist and the fact that Jesse said literally nothing. The light wall especially was something I've never seen before and was f**kin spectacular!

The whole thing was perfect! ❤️

CMilliken, Dan O'Neill and fenway89 like this.
  18. hoodrat

Regular

Nice keynote, nothing really that unexpected. I miss the days when supply chain leaks didn't give away every secret before the keynote. Honestly might skip the phone upgrade this year and see if they are able to do a notch-less X model next fall.

billyboatman likes this.
  19. OdeToTheSun

Ø

Saw somewhere that the 256GB is $1,150.

youwontknow likes this.
  20. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Saw this after I posted, but I'm still peeved. Should be releasing with the actual phone. Maybe not included cause ha at that ever happening, but still.

Hella underwhelmed

21. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

It's definitely gonna come down to trying it for myself and how it feels and works without Touch ID/home button.

Currently rocking a 6S that's still in pretty good condition.

CMilliken likes this.
  22. Weird thing to be peeved about but ok. Ha.

You seem to be in the minority on that one though. The X looks incredible and all early impressions are that it's the best iPhone yet.

Dan O'Neill and fenway89 like this.
  23. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

I legit don't think there is a more annoying group of people than the "Galaxy > iPhone" crowd. Or a more misinformed crowd.

I worked at a phone store (AT&T) and the amount of people I would get arguing with me that their Galaxy was better and I didn't know what I was talking about even though I had to use a Galaxy for work was ridiculous. iOS is sooooo much better than Android it isn't even funny. And that has nothing to do with personal preference. It's objectively and subjectively better.

The end.

24. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

I love my Note 5, but after the shitshow that was the Note 7, I don't think I'll ever really trust Samsung's quality control again. Not to mention the ecosystem that Apple brings and knowing that they literally build the software and hardware to coexist. It's ridiculous to say that Apple has no edge in the debate whatsoever.

heymattrick and fenway89 like this.
  25. The app ecosystem for iOS I think is unmatched. Ominfocus, Tweetbot, Overcast, Ulysses ... not sure I could live without 'um.

fenway89 and hermanthehermit like this.