Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Announces New iPhones, Apple TV, and Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Apple announced a bunch of new things today. I have a few quick thoughts on everything.

Apple Watch 3:

Whether users are out for a run, at the pool or just trying to be more active throughout their day, Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular allows them to stay connected, make calls, receive texts and more, even without iPhone nearby. The third-generation Apple Watch is an amazing health and fitness companion with intelligent coaching features, water resistance 50 meters1 and a new barometric altimeter that measures relative elevation.

This seems like a nice logical step. The idea of being able to leave the house for a workout and only needing your watch and AirPods is definitely enticing. Which leads to:

Soon, the combination of cellular and watchOS 4 will allow Apple Music users to stream 40 million songs right from their wrist.

The watch is making a play as the new iPod. It used to be a thousand songs in your pocket, now there’s 40 million songs on your wrist.

watchOS 4 features an updated Heart Rate app, giving even more insight to heart rate, including measurements during resting, workout, recovery, walking and Breathe sessions. Customers can also choose to receive a notification when their heart rate is elevated above a specific threshold while inactive.

These health updates are pretty cool.

Apple TV 4K:

With Apple TV 4K, viewers can enjoy a growing selection of 4K HDR movies on iTunes. iTunes users will get automatic upgrades of HD titles in their existing iTunes library to 4K HDR versions when they become available. Apple TV 4K will also offer 4K HDR content from popular video services, including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, coming soon.

Pretty standard update for the Apple TV. Without a new remote, I don’t really have a reason to upgrade at the moment. Mine works just fine for what I mostly use it for (a Plex watching device).

iPhone 8:

The new iPhone features a new glass and aluminum design in three beautiful colors made out of the most durable glass ever in a smartphone, Retina HD displays and A11 Bionic chip, and is designed for the ultimate augmented reality experience. The world’s most popular camera gets even better with single and dual cameras featuring Portrait Lighting on iPhone 8 Plus, and wireless charging brings a powerful new capability to iPhone. Both devices will be available for pre-order beginning Friday, September 15 in more than 25 countries and territories, and in stores beginning Friday, September 22.

Nice looking phones, great spec bumps, and an impressive camera. Also, almost immediately outdated.

iPhone X:

Apple today announced iPhone X, the future of the smartphone, in a gorgeous all-glass design with a beautiful 5.8-inch Super Retina display, A11 Bionic chip, wireless charging and an improved rear camera with dual optical image stabilization. iPhone X delivers an innovative and secure new way for customers to unlock, authenticate and pay using Face ID, enabled by the new TrueDepth camera. iPhone X will be available for pre-order beginning Friday, October 27 in more than 55 countries and territories, and in stores beginning Friday, November 3.

Expensive, very expensive. It seems that Apple wants to continue pushing their phones forward without having to be constrained by the need to mass produce at iPhone scale. This new phone gives them the ability to use components they can’t put into the “main” phone that needs to ship millions at once. It looks gorgeous, the camera looks fantastic, and I’m sure I’ll get used to the “notch” sooner or later. The real decision for me will be how the lack of the home button and swipe gesture to get to the home screen feel in real use. It’s something I do a hundred times a day, and it needs to feel natural. I assume I’ll get used to it. Face ID looks interesting and I hope it’s as fast as it demos since I’ve become accustomed to the speed and ease of use of Touch ID. I guess time will tell.

2. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Definitely getting the Watch 3, I love everything about that, and the connect feature with your phone is only an extra $10. Some carriers are reportedly not even charging for that. Im iffy on getting the 8 or the 10 though. I honestly can't decide.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

What do you mean by "immediately outdated"? By the X?

4. aniafc

Trusted

Not sure if that's what he means, but it's true.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

Weakest Keynote ever..

How do you announce wireless charging and not have your own charging base?

Steve Jobs would be very displeased with this showing I think.

6. youwontknow

If I smile with my teeth, bet you'd believe me

It's the new AR capabilities that I think will be the major game changer. We gonna be playing all our games and chatting thru AR with games being played out right in front of you on ur coffee table or on the floor on the bus!!

7. They do. It's called "AirPower."

[​IMG]

(AirPod charging case ftw.)

Contender likes this.
  8. Yeah. The 8 looks great, but it immediately looks like an "old" phone by comparison IMO.

fenway89 and knstadin like this.
  9. I wanna play a game like Risk via AR. Heh..

10. aniafc

Trusted

This was my first thought, and seems to be a pretty general consensus.

At least when they did this with the 5 and the 5c, the differences weren't that huge.

11. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Pretty much how I felt during the announcement. I think the X is really impressive and it straight away made the 8 look dated. What has been pulling me towards the Plus over the past few years is the better camera but I didn't like how uncomfortable it feels in your pocket compared to the normal size. The X solves that issue for me which is a winner.

fenway89, KidLightning and Jason Tate like this.
  12. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

It uses the same wireless charging standard that's been around for years, so they don't necessarily need their own. But as @Jason Tate already pointed out, they did announce one, though it's not available until next year.

13. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I never bought a new phone before.

I think I'll buy this one.

KidLightning likes this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I've avoided the Plus since the size (of the phone, not the screen) is ridiculous and I don't take enough pictures for the camera to matter. The X definitely solves that for me, but I don't know if I can justify that price . . .

15. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

[​IMG]
    So outdated design.. it hurts:-| Wish they skipped 8 and go for X and maybe Xplus versions

16. I don't even know what you're trying to say with this photo ...

17. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

edited*

18. Gonna be picking up a new 8 Plus and Series 3 cellular watch

19. I still don't know what you're trying to say ... that's not the 8. And the Samsung phone looks like a generic ripoff of an iPhone that someone sat on.

And they literally can't mass produce the X. That's why it's a separate phone, basically early.

knstadin likes this.
  20. CMilliken

Trusted

Honesty think I’m going the same route. The X just doesn’t give me enough of a reason to upgrade for the price difference.

21. CMilliken

Trusted

Also how about that free 4K upgrade for movies you’ve purchased on iTunes. Didn’t expect that.

electro haikus and JonnyMac like this.
  22. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

It's just crazy for this price range :( .. flagship models of 2017 to have this outdated look from 2010..?? Everyone went bezel-less (even the cheap Chinese clones) and apple still sells this ugly outdated design..?? not even some effort to make it look a bit different from 7S?? It's basically 7S with better cpu right? but okay i get it.. they put all their effort on X.. from what I'm reading now it's gonna be impossible to get X before easter (here in europe) so i guess I'll wait for XS version next sept :eh:

23. You didn't post the 8. And it's definitely not ugly. It's not even made with the same materials as the 7S.

24. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

@Jason Tate will there be any Apple talk on the next podcast?

25. Ryan Gardner and JamesMichael like this.