Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apex Legends (Respawn Entertainment, 2019) Video Game • Page 14

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by mescalineeyes, Feb 5, 2019.

1. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

won with my brother @Anthony_ and his brother

Anthony_ likes this.
  2. Dog with a Blog

3. Dog with a Blog

Lmao. The Caustic one. @Anthony_ please show this to your brother

[​IMG]

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

dylan, dadbolt and Dog with a Blog like this.
  5. flask

Trusted Supporter

Gonna play for an hour if anyone’s on

6. Dog with a Blog

dylan, Dirty Sanchez and sean_rugy like this.
  7. dylan

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  8. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

I’m excited to watch the twitch rivals apex tournament today

9. Anthony_

The more Apex's numbers climb, the more likely it is that we get an announcement that Blackout is going free-to-play in the near future. I'd be willing to bet that it will happen by, at the latest, the day they reveal this year's CoD game.

10. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Also there is a valentines event coming this week. With special skins as rewards etc

11. Anthony_

After 'Apex Legends' The Next 'Call Of Duty' Battle Royale Needs To Be Free-To-Play

See, I think this article is wrong in that I don't necessarily think they should abandon Blackout in favor of a new Modern Warfare BR mode. Blackout is really good as-is, with the Black Ops 4 weapons and the sliding and everything like that. It just isn't being supported nearly enough. I think what Activision should do is put Blackout out as a standalone, free product and hand support for it off to a dedicated dev team fulltime. They can't split the focus of one of the three CoD devs the way that a live service game requires and still expect them to churn out new games, but they also can't keep hitting the reset button every year with a new BR mode from a new CoD title and studio.

It's a really weird situation they've put themselves in by tying Blackout to Treyarch/Black Ops 4 and not making it free from the start.

12. dylan

They should just drop Blackout

13. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

why is Blackout so bad? never played but initial impression from media were almost exclusively positive

14. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

I have an unopened copy of bo4 lying around tempted to try it but not because of blackout haha

15. Anthony_

It's not bad, it's actually a lot like Apex minus the hero abilities, it just hasn't been supported well at all and as a result after the initial hype of its launch it sputtered out and basically died. It looks like Respawn isn't going to let that happen to Apex.

Cameron and Shrek like this.
  16. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

EA’s in an interesting position with the BFV royale still coming. it has to be dead on arrival and they cannibalized themselves with Apex.

17. Anthony_

Yeah Firefight is DOA for sure. Not even just because of Apex (although Apex is a big reason why now that it's a huge hit) but also because it isn't free. Anyone who seriously wants to compete in the BR space has to go FTP, it's the only way.

dylan and sean_rugy like this.
  18. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah Firefight is in a super strange position. Waiting like 4 months after the release of the game to introduce the BR mode seems like such a strange decision. I think had it released with the game and it was getting good reviews it could have helped sales, but I'm not sure 4 months later that it's going to bring in many new BF players.

19. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

zero win squad checking in

GrantCloud, mescalineeyes and Shrek like this.
  20. dylan

I'm trying to figure out where BO and Firefight are gonna differentiate themselves from Apex or what they can add or innovate to the more "realistic" FPS BR to draw people away. I'm definitely not paying for either one if they're similiar to Apex and cost money.

21. Anthony_

I wonder if Apex's success will make them want to change their plans and release Firefight as a standalone free SKU. Could be that it not launching with the full game was a good thing for it.

22. Anthony_

Firefight could play the same marketing strategy that Battlefield has always used over CoD, that it's the more "hardcore shooter" experience. Also it has the WW2 setting to set itself apart, right? Plus it'll have the Battlefield vehicle combat that everyone loves, which Apex doesn't have. Not saying it will be effective, just that's probably what they'll do.

As for CoD, they have the disadvantage of having to try and win people back while also differentiating themselves from Apex. And Blackout is way closer to Apex's feel than Firefight likely will be. I don't see how they do it, personally. I think they just have to make it free, work double time to try and support it better, and hope for the best. I don't think Activision just throws in the towel just yet, though; they've sunk too much money into Blackout to do that.

23. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I love how I’m watching streamers play with their friends and they don’t even talk to them because the ping system is top tier.

sean_rugy likes this.
  24. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

I have a feeling we won't be seeing BFV BR before April.

With Apex and Anthem coming out there's just too much EA stuff to go around.
    Personally I'm still SUPER hyped about BFV's BR, I fucking L O V E that game.

25. Anthony_

The longer they wait to launch Firefight, the less relevant it becomes. EA has put themselves in a position now where the odds of all the money and effort put into Firefight being wasted increase every day it isn't out there, but they'd be at least partially cannibalizing their own hit game by releasing it too soon.

I imagine what happened was that EA figured they'd greenlight two separate BRs and then kill off/let die whichever one was less successful. In retrospect, hedging like that was a really bad idea. Not that they could have predicted how quickly Apex would catch on, of course, hindsight is just 20/20.