Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AP stigma

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Henry, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Who are some artists that you shied away from because the AP community didn't favor them?

I found myself listening to Bayside this morning and realizing that I used to love them. Certain APer's convinced me they were awful and I ran with it. There are definitely a lot of times something like this happened.

2. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

I guess de-railing the thread immediately is kind-of a dick move, but I am having the exact opposite happen to me.
    I am dumb-founded people like that new 1975 album as much as they do on here. and I keep going back to it thinking I must be missing something but I just end up hating it more.

Contender, js977, JM95 and 2 others like this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I like most of the first album but found the new one boring.

mescalineeyes likes this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i think for myself

5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

you think what I tell you to think.

6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

yes sir sorry sir

7. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I was a tastemaker back in the day. Also, I was pretty open with my shitty taste.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I can't think of any bands that the AP hivemind hated, there were a lot they loved that were meh to me, and it was more genres like people who don't listen to any rap or pop music, at some point I think I might have been literally the only one talking about pop music

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

pop got pretty bad for a year or two besides emotion. album wise. hot singles everywhere tho

10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Senses Fail comes to mind.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll co-sign that first part.

Dominick likes this.
  12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I was never a taste maker and still am not.

I'm fine with that.

MikeyPaine and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  13. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Bring Me The Horizon

trevorshmevor, DeviantRogue and Henry like this.
  14. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Less so what AP thinks, but I found myself listening to bands like We Are The In Crowd, All Time Low, and Tonight Alive less just out of the virtue of discovering more bands and not really being in the mood to go back to albums from the bands I loved before AP.

I used to have a Tonight Alive inspired username on AP ( I lurked though) and with the switch I saw the opportunity to switch my name as well. Not really a fault of the band though. Expanding my tastes just made me lose interest, I think.

15. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

I love most of the newer wave of Pop Punk bands (State Champs, Trash Boat, Waterparks, Like Pacific) but it seems most of the other old users from AP have either grown out of it or stopped paying attention.

16. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I feel like there's only a handful of users who like some kind of hardcore, and fewer that keep up with it

17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I think AP praised mediocre bands more often than then shunned good ones.

18. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

N
    like The Wonder Years, New Found Glory, hotelier

hehehe

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. Garrett

I do think AP hive mind had a tendency of supporting once-great bands that devolved over time. And I don't think that's because nostalgia ran strong (though, it certainly helped some bands). It's just pretty easy to stand up for bands you love, even when they've started sucking.

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I was gonna say Brand New and Blink but I didn't want to get banned. I'm actually a fan of both bands

21. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

On the other hand there were plenty of bands/artists that AP jizzed themselves over that I listened because of said ejaculation and disliked. For example, I have never been a fan of Taylor Swift. Seriously, 1989 isn't that good. But, I respect people on here or from there that enjoyed it. I just never saw the hype.

22. George

Trusted Prestigious

There's no stigma attached to it for me whatsoever, but I absolutely love Enter Shikari, and they weren't particularly popular on AP.

23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

definitely felt there was a stigma against ES. VersaEmerge as well. And that probably translated over to other female led pop punk/alt/experimental bands because of paramore.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

thrice

25. Garrett