Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AOL to Discontinue AIM • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 6, 2017.

1. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Whenever I look at other people's snap stories I think to myself "you thought this was worth sharing?"

2. chuwaay

What took them so long? Ha

RIP Ezyman24

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Another incarnation of loudest_mime222 meets its demise. I feel my teenage years slipping away from me!!

4. lightning

i miss the days of IM

5. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

RIP TheReaper000. I was a silly kid indeed.

6. lightning

"A lot of the screen names I’ve seen floating around contain things like pet names, important dates, hobbies and other personal identifying information that we’d be wise not to share in the open online. That kind of stuff, if not implicated in your current or past login/password combos, could be the missing piece for someone cracking a security question on one of your accounts. Particularly because security questions so often ask us things that longitudinally remain true throughout a lifetime, like your best friend’s name or your high school mascot. Sure, a hacker might be able to find these personal details a different way, but by sharing your info on Twitter or wherever else, you’ve just made it searchable within seconds."
    PSA: Don’t share your old AIM screen name

7. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

I didn't know AIm was still a thing

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

RIP bouncingsouls689. Logged on for one last ride. Saw they moved the panel to the left and it felt really weird. Didn't hear any doors opening/closing. Didn't see any over the top away messages. No convos starting up. It didn't feel right, but I'm glad I got to pay my respects.

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

=[

10. TedSchmosby

Trusted

How did AIM last longer than MSN

11. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I dug up my old password and logged into my middle school account yesterday. There were still a few people online. Someone was even rocking a New Found Glory avatar. ha. Life is weird.

12. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

*Sighs* Really embarrassed to say this....

RIP BigMacZach

13. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

it's not surprising but still a bummer. I used AIM a couple years back at the office I worked at and that's when I learned they wiped all our saved away messages. I honestly wish I could see all my old ones. I had soooo many saved and it would be GREAT to see them all again. Everything from the angsty lyrics to the specific over the top inside jokes. ahh, AIM you were pivotal in growing up.

14. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

That's because Snapchat is literally the least intuitive app ever. UI is atrocious.

Raku and js977 like this.
  15. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I second this. Instagram does what SnapChat does in a way less convoluted flow, even if they ripped them off wholesale.

Raku likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

when i first learned there was an app that deleted messages right away, i figured surely its only use was sexting. nope, gotta show everyone the bug on the wall.

elphshelf and Raku like this.
  17. AMC

Regular

I tried logging I to my AOL email for the first time in like 8 years. Everything was gone. My emails and contacts. Everything. I could log in but it was all gone. Made me sad.

18. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Snapchat almost lost me when they introduced the map tracker, until I found out they had ghost mode. Such an insane push and obsession with knowing where people are I hate it. Would gladly go back to aol.

Sometimes I wonder if they had found a way to make a catchy mobile app if they could've used us 90's kids nostalgia to make a comeback.

19. Ska Senanake

Trusted

RIP age of anger

RIP xnofxfatacocax

20. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

RIP Donutsbag

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

RIP sensesI87fail

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  22. DesolateEarth

Birb

RIP punkextremist5: 2004-2017 (only actually active 2004-2013)