Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

AOL to Discontinue AIM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On December 15th, AOL will be discontinuing their instant messaging service:

If you were a 90’s kid, chances are there was a point in time when AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) was a huge part of your life. You likely remember the CD, your first screenname, your carefully curated away messages, and how you organized your buddy lists. Right now you might be reminiscing about how you had to compete for time on the home computer in order to chat with friends outside of school.

R.I.P. Twenty8FootFall.

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

:( rip

3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

RIP 8ft10beast

trevorshmevor and backbynewyears like this.
  4. backbynewyears

RIP swimmerdude94

trevorshmevor likes this.
  5. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

St. Nate and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

RIP

7. atlastitsok

Regular

I haven’t used AIM in years and it truly is obsolete at this point

Still am sad about it - played a huge role in my teen years.

8. nemotheemofish

RIP nemotheemofish

9. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

RIP all 37 screen names I had over the years. First one was in 6th grade: googoofan27

10. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

RIP sevinw0rds (except on eBay and IMDb because they won't let me move on to the next phase in my life).

trevorshmevor and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  11. Phillip

BOO

I didn’t know it was still running until now. Damn. I wish I remembered all my usernames and passwords so I could get back in there one last time.

12. esposimi

Regular Prestigious

I think I will miss these icons the most

[​IMG]

13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Genuinely surprised it still existed. I was too young to really use it when it was huge

14. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Rip littleg950

15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Oh man this brings me back. i had midget toss FOREVER.

16. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I only stopped using AIM early last year and I say that with zero exaggeration. It got to the point where obviously no one was using it, except in my life it was me and my brother and my mom communicating over it (we have since migrated to Hangouts). I never was a Facebook user, and on MySpace you could send messages but it wasn't that instant communication you got with AIM. So I just never migrated from it.

Even today I miss AIM. Well, not so much the service itself, but a universal and central platform that users communicated across. Today it's like, do you use Google Chat/Hangouts? Oh you use Kik? Oh, and you use Snapchat? And you use What's App? And you use Facebook? And you use iMessage, but I don't have an iPhone! There's no longer one place to go to talk to all my friends - I have to have 1,000 different apps and accounts just to talk to other people.

This piece is an incredibly interesting read if you find the time.

younglikeme and slimfenix182 like this.
  17. Tried to log in sometime in the last year or two to take a trip down memory lane and couldn't remember my password, hah.

So long, applepirate52

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  18. We were all using other shit back then too ... IRC, ICQ, Usenet, BBS. AOL was just the biggest walled garden ... and now Facebook is. Multiple choices in apps/services is way better for consumers than when one protocol dominated. And with the mobile phone being the "platform" where someone can reach you, it's pretty incredible ... doesn't matter what app anyone's on, you get a notification and can talk to them no matter what.

19. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

i've used my aim screen name for most websites basically until AP changed to Chorus. GOAT service

20. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Yeah valid point about mobile. No matter what medium, it essentially sends you a notice on your smart phone so it's pretty much the same accessibility-wise. Also true about one platform dominating others not being a good thing. I think I just get frustrated when the services I use aren't the ones that the person I want to communicate with uses.

21. I still barely know what I'm doing on Snapchat.

/old as fuck

22. Mr. Serotonin

I don't think you're missin' out on much with Snap

23. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I deleted mine because I'd start to do a snap and stop to reassess and be like "Wait this isn't interesting"

And then I'd look at the feed and be like "Wait neither is this!"

24. Swipe, swipe, up, scroll, wait, how do I reply to this text, no don't send a photo with a dog mask on, how can I delete this now ... FUCK. Settings, what's the incantation for settings and deleting a convo ... abbracadababzjhx;lqslkasasdas

Me every day.

25. Mr. Serotonin

:crylaugh: :crylaugh: