Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Any Given Wednesday on HBO TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by heymynameisjoe, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Something someone else pointed out: why debut a sports talk show right at the point after basketball ends and before football begins?

2. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Seems pretty obvious that it's because it's easier and less pressure, giving them more time to figure the show out

3. Morrissey

Trusted

That does not make sense because he is going to have no audience by the time September rolls around. The show is getting less than 200,000 viewers while Maher and Oliver average four million.

4. EngineDown

And where did maher and Oliver come from before their respective shows? Both pretty established television personalities. This is Bill's first real television venture

5. Morrissey

Trusted

ESPN isn't television?

6. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Simmer down now

7. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

To be fair, doing a pregame and postgame show strictly about basketball isnt the same thing as this at all.

8. Morrissey

Trusted

That is true, but the entire show is built around his persona and appeal. His personality is what drives his websites and podcasts but it really is not working now. Maybe he finds his voice when the NFL season kicks off but trying to blend pop culture and sports is already hard enough right now when it is just baseball.

9. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

I agree. He should just start making sport docs again like 30 for 30 and air that every week.

10. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

He was still a television personality so I'm not sure what there is to be fair about. Oliver's show isn't the same as being a fake correspondent on the Daily Show.

11. Morrissey

Trusted

Oliver started from a much more anonymous position and managed to make his show noteworthy within a few episodes. Simmons has done nothing to make people want to watch the show other than Affleck showing up drunk in the first episode.

heymynameisjoe likes this.
  12. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

For 1 NBA season. Thats not how people know him. He was off in exile for years so I'm pretty sure the people who actually watch this show aren't thinking of Nba countdown as the first thing that comes to mind when you say Bill Simmons.

13. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

the nas/durant interview started out shaky but turned out pretty awesome, but this whole studio audience thing on the other hand is super awkward though. they really are trying anything and everything to try and make this show succeed.

14. EngineDown

the studio audience is a lot more comfortable than the show was previously. seemed like a pretty sterile room in previous episodes

15. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I used to read him all the time.... Watching him was painful. And Im from Boston - Im supposed to like him.

I won't watch it, unless someone tells me to, because..... otherwise, Ill pass. :/

16. EngineDown

cancelled. november 9 last episode.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

What a bummer, not surprised though. If he had Jalen and/or Jacoby with him is would of been better.

18. EngineDown

there are a lot of things that would have made it better. like a consistent format, for starters

marceting likes this.
  19. kidwithhelmet Nov 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 4, 2016)
    kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

This show is awful but I still like BS enough to give whatever his next project with HBO is a shot.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

He had some good guest duos. The best I saw was Nas/Durant. That was actually a very interesting conversation.

heymynameisjoe likes this.
  21. EngineDown

i'm guessing it'll be similar to a 30 for 30 type program with recurring documentaries

kidwithhelmet likes this.
  22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I thought this was getting a little better, Simmons is a great interviewer and that was really starting to come through with some of the guests. But this show stumbled out of the gate hard and couldn't recover it seems.

23. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

He has like 3 years left on his contract with hbo so I'm sure he will just help with sports docs and/or specials for a while.

24. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Did anyone really expect this to succeed? He's not good on TV.

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

HBO probably wanted him for a sports documentary series in the first place, I'm guessing he pushed hard to get a shot at a tv show in there.