Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Any Given Wednesday on HBO TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by heymynameisjoe, Jun 30, 2016.

1. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

HBO sports talkshow hosted by Bill Simmons

2. heymynameisjoe

I've watched the first two episodes and have mixed feelings. Affleck's interview was fun, the Mark Cuban interview was great but cut too short, and Bill Hader's stories were great.

My main issue is that the editing is HORRIFIC which makes it feel disingenuous. Also, where is the prompter? Above the camera? The eye-line on Simmons' stand ups is really fucked up.

It has potential but I don't think it's there yet. Anybody else have thoughts?

3. The promos for this were so fucking horrible that I can't bring myself to watch it.

Ken and dpatrickguy like this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

The first episode was a disaster. Affleck was clearly drunk and it is not really clear what is going on with Simmons when he looks directly at the camera. I have not seen the second episode yet.

5. heymynameisjoe

Hence the 19 or so fucks haha

6. The first two episodes, I hate to say it, have been really bad. I hope it gets better, because Simmons hasn't been putting out podcasts while getting ready for this show, and the podcasts are so much better. Trading one of the better podcasts I listen to for a really bad weekly TV show ... kinda sucks.

7. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

the affleck interview was the worst thing i have seen.

8. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Liked the Cuban interview, but I agree it was cut too short. Hader and Simmons just seem uncomfortable talking to each other. Noticing the bad editing now, but that kind of stuff rarely takes away from the show for me. The Hader segment could be suffering though because of the editing.

I thought last week was fine too. Affleck was really entertaining if nothing else.

9. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Haven't been able to find the second episode, but that 10 minute bonus clip of Cuban and Gladwell talking about PED's was interesting and I wouldn't mind a long format, multiple guest, free-flowing conversation for 30 minutes as opposed to the blocked structure he's going for.

And yeah, it sucks that such momentous events are taking place in the NBA rn and we don't get columns or podcasts from Bill bc he's focusing on this (so far) shitty show.

10. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Good concept, poor execution so far. Just really awkward and clunky like you guys have mentioned. They need either an audience or some background music or something.

11. heymynameisjoe

the aaron rogers interview was great in the last episode. i want to like this show so badly. it feels like a similar situation with roadies. great concept but missing the mark.

12. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

The podcast yesterday with all the bonus segments just highlighted why Bill is so much more suited for that format.

I could have sat and listened to another 45 minutes of the silly, off-the-rails, free flowing bonus segment with Charles Barkley, but found the segment chosen for the tv show completely forgettable.

13. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

They post extra clips from each episode that is much more like a podcast interview. I actually prefer those to the actual show.

14. Main reason why I haven't checked it out yet. A couple people whose opinions I trust say it's not as bad as that, but I don't know. Maybe I'll just put it on in the background. Shit, I used to listen Mike and Mike in the AM getting ready for work for years and they're way worse.

15. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

Yeah they just stuck the audio of those into a podcast and released it yesterday. And while at first I thought, "Just do the entire show like that," I catch myself realizing that if I want a show to be like a podcast, it should just BE a podcast, ya know? He was already doing that. I want him to continue doing that.

If anyone remembers the Bill and Jalen NBA previews from a few years back, I think something like that would be awesome. Still have the funny cut scenes, the pop culture references, but more focused. And have guests come on but have them participate, not just be interviewed.

16. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

I miss the podcasts, but I'll take Bill Simmons in any kind of format I guess. Even if its an unorganized mess. Plus, TheRinger is a great website. I was pissed when Grantland got shut down.

17. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

I really enjoy the show, but mainly because I'm a huge Bill fan. The show itself is kinda a mess. Saw something on twitter about loving anything Andy and Chris say about GoT on a podcast but being bored by After the Thrones. Same applies here for the most part. Having a studio audience would help so much. The atmosphere of the studio is so dry.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

This obsession with the Deflategate issue has to stop. The issue is almost a year and a half old now. The skit this week was painful.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. heymynameisjoe

that skit was the worst thing i've ever seen on HBO... and i watched all of true detective season 2.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

neither are anywhere near Hung, get real

21. Morrissey

Trusted

It may sound weird, but it needs to be longer to work. Simmons' interviews have always been great in how in-depth they go, but sticking two different conversations, a monologue, and a bit into half an hour just does not work.

heymynameisjoe likes this.
  22. TheNateM

Newbie Prestigious

totally agree. They should make it an hr.

23. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yes, this show so needs to be an hour long.

heymynameisjoe likes this.
  24. heymynameisjoe

thats a very fair point, but my only rebuttal is that the pilot was decent (mostly due to the fact that alexander payne directed)

25. heymynameisjoe

absolutely agree. i watched one of his facebook live broadcast last week and it was far more interesting than the majority of his shows. seems like an indication of what most people on this thread have already eluded to and that is that he might just be better suited for podcasts and radio.