Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anti-Vaccine Activists Spark a State’s Worst Measles Outbreak in Decades

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 8, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lena H. Sun, writing for The Washington Post:

The young mother started getting advice early on from friends in the close-knit Somali immigrant community here. Don’t let your children get the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella — it causes autism, they said.

Suaado Salah listened. And this spring, her 3-year-old boy and 18-month-old girl contracted measles in Minnesota’s largest outbreak of the highly infectious and potentially deadly disease in nearly three decades.

2. bloodinthesand

Regular

When are people going to give up this argument about the correlation between vaccines and autism....sigh

3. House Of Wolves

Can all the anti-vaxxers just agree to live on an island together?

4. Saephon

Regular

Vaccines are just fake news. My neighbor dropped out of high school so that he could help his dad at the factory, and he assures me scientists are just in on a conspiracy. Damn libruls.

smowashere likes this.
  5. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

One thing in the article I don't want being missed is, the anti-vaccine groups responsible for this had invited the one and only Andrew "worthless human garbage fuckface" Wakefield to speak to the newly scared and misinformed community. Following the outbreak, he had this to say:

He unequivocally deserved to be horribly murdered.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  6. Hunter Norman

Regular

All of this stuff really started becoming a big deal a few years ago right after our daughter was born, and my wife and I assumed it would die down. 4 years and another child later, it's gotten worse and people still fail to see the facts and logic and it's become much more of an endangerment. I'm baffled by how hard people are still pushing this shit.

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It's true - there's this odd perception of responsibility that's taking over culture, and using this example, there are too many people who fear the sense of responsibility they'd feel if they vaccinate their child and they happen to (coincidentally) have a condition later, but they perceive less responsibility if they choose not to vaccinate their child at all and they get sick from the very thing the vaccine prevents.