Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anthony Rapp: Kevin Spacey Made a Sexual Advance Toward Me When I Was 14 • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 30, 2017.

1. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Thanks for your well thought out replies especially @kaylasananjou
    It's a very complex issue and one that is currently relevant to my real life so I've been having a lot of trouble with the overall concept lately. Trying to work through it and hearing from voices I respect helps.

edited to add: I did not mean to place pressure on you to reply by tagging you! I'm glad you were so willing but I really just thought it would have been weird to talk about your posts (without quoting the whole thing) and not tag you lol almost like talking about you like you're not here? I don't know.

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Shout out to all you woke people up in here. It gives glimpses of hope knowing people like you exist. I often send people to these boards for enlightenment because you all just say things so well and insightful.

3. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Sorry, haha, I didn’t mean to imply you were! Was more of a general statement based on stuff I see a lot. What I meant was more like, if an actor gets called on something they did 20 years ago, they should make every effort to sincerely apologize, and I felt like Dustin’s apology, while short, was on the right track. Especially since many men his age would be like “we just did that back then, stop being so sensitive!”

Unrelated, this thread started bad but is kind of good now. Feels nice. You can tell when people want to learn vs. when people want to be shit stirrers.

4. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I just wanna mosh away my anger at shitty cis white dudes.

5. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Couldn't agree more pal!

On the second point, yes. Yes ploise! His coming out shitshow hit me so hard because in the LGBTQ+ circles I've walked in, there's a rampant problem of shitty and borderline predatory cis gay men who think they can get away with sexually harrassing and assaulting people (men and women) because they can fall back on saying 'omg no I'm totally gay". And meanwhile every other person (queer or straight but always the straighties most of all) laugh off this behaviour and tell you to lighten up when you don't like these behaviours because 'it's just a joke'

Can't believe anyone should have to say this but the rules of entitlement around another person's body don't change just because you're not straight.

SuNDaYSTaR, CoffeeEyes17 and tyramail like this.
  6. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

This is exactly my attitude here. But hey, like FreshnessExpired tried to tell us, maybe we're immature children who are committing the most heinous of crimes against polite society - the Sweeping Generalization!

Seriously though so much agreed. I really hope my sarcasm was obvious!

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  7. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

agreed 100%. theres definitely an issue with with those of a different orientation using that as leverage to push their creep levels as far as they can go without breaking. its certainly a small percentage, but theres absolutely people out there who will abuse that perceived level of sympathy and i think thats something that is happening with this Spacey situation and it really bums me out because, as a certain other user in here has demonstrated in a very tone deaf way, people will make sweeping generalizations and will further damage an already marginalized groups....image I guess is the word. your bolded text really hits the nail on the head.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Contender like this.
  8. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Exactly right. But I'm glad to see so many people with powerful voices and followings condemning the actions of Spacey and others like him and making sure at least one person is reminded that being queer doesn't give you a pass on and isn't in any way related to being a fucking creep.

Cameron Esposito's Tweet hit the nail right on the head.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately re: Andy Dick. Really well-worded post on a sensitive issue. Thanks for your insight!

10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Oh christ fuck Andy Dick :S arguably the poster child for this issue.

And thank you! Much appreciated!

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  11. Jason Tolpin

Trusted