Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anthony Rapp: Kevin Spacey Made a Sexual Advance Toward Me When I Was 14 • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 30, 2017.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

"But all you care about is making sure everyone knows that you don’t care for “generalizations.”

No, i'm just promoting critical thinking and putting down the idea that letting your emotions make false claims is a way to construct any argument. It makes it appear that when sensitive topics come up, anything can be said as long as it reflects the present emotions of the person making the claim and that's now how it works. Generalizations about any group is just part of what happens when someone makes comments when they have a sudden rush of emotion. I wish it was on a different topic so all of you would actually see that, but due to this topic all of you will completely ignore it.

Raku likes this.
  2. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

while you're going on about no one else having critical thinking skills everyone else is wondering how you couldn't tell "every white male celebrity" was an exaggeration wasn't meant literally and is an expression of frustration about the state of things

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Let’s not act like this is your first time whining about people making “blanket statements about men”. If people cared as much about preventing and ending sexual assault as you care about defending white men the world would be such a wonderful place.

4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Actually, this is the first time I have commented on anything dealing with a topic that involves a large group of men. Not my first time for getting annoyed with false claims made by spontaneous bursts of emotions, though.

It's also funny how "white" men has been pushed into here as the first comment I replied to didn't mention the race of the generalized group. Are you adding in adjectives?

Raku likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Fine not literally every man just Sean Connery and Sean Penn and Josh Brolin and Nicolas Cage and Terrence Howard and Bill Murray and Johnny Depp have been accused of domestic violence and nothing happened

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. Wharf Rat

Dude do you literally not understand the concept of exaggeration? That's all it was. Are you the guy who says actually, school isn't LITERALLY killing you, because then you'd be dead

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I assumed it was an exaggeration due to anger (and I understand getting angry at stuff like this), it was just the comment being made with no sense of caring for the credibility to it.

Raku likes this.
  8. Wharf Rat

no shit because its an exaggeration not an accusation jesus christ won't anyone think of the poor good celebrities :(

9. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Alright, i'm out until we can discuss generalizations in general because all of you will only make this about men when I was only using the current example (that happened to be about men in hollywood) to express my distaste for any sort of wrong statement (exaggeration or not) made by sudden bursts of emotion.

Raku likes this.
  10. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Seriously; I've never cringed that hard reading a celebrity's "coming out".

11. Fucking Dustin

#PrayersForCelebrities

12. Wharf Rat

yeah that's what everyone should be concerned about here. the biggest problem is when people get upset and make obviously exaggerating statements not meant to be taken seriously. You come into a thread about sexual assault and make it about how a thing nobody thinks is literally true was wrong. good job man. keep fighting the good fight.

13. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

14. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

No wonder he doesn't care about anyone besides white men in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

He also doesn't care about anyone besides white men in the Real Life Universe.

15. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Just had to commit on this BS. I've stated numerous times in the MCU thread how I would like/would look forward to female or POC centered films in the MCU. I was also the one that recently posted what I would like a Black Widow film to be and Black Panther is one of my most anticipated films of 2018. Get out of there with that.

If you care to discuss this further then comment on the MCU thread.

Raku likes this.
  16. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

thiiiiiiiiiis. this is why we never get to the part of the discussion where anyone actually talks about fixing or changing things, because people have to get up in arms to derail the discussion to make sure that we're not accidentally 'accusing' every dude, when it's kind of a main assumption of this entire discourse that of course it's not all dudes, but enough that it's a systematic problem that needs addressing. and anyways it's a forum, not a court of law or even a formal debate. emotion is allowed, holy shit lol

lish, CoffeeEyes17, fenway89 and 6 others like this.
  17. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

A man voicing his opinion on what a movie with a strong female lead should be like? Truly revolutionary.

CoffeeEyes17 and lish like this.
  18. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

imagine hearing that hundreds of women, and several men, just in the past month have come forward detailing abuse by Hollywood figures ranging from influential to not very, and using that as a diving board for, shit you not, #notallmen.

yeah no fucking shit not literally every single person in hollywood is an abuser, it was hyperbole, because clearly there is a massive problem that we have ignored and understated for years so a little hyperbole isnt really gonna poison the well

lish, CoffeeEyes17, fenway89 and 4 others like this.
  19. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

When you focus more energy on whether or not some innocent white men are going to get caught in the crossfire than you do on the epidemic of people in power abusing the vulnerable, the message you're sending is clear:

"White men are people, and everyone else is subhuman."

You are witnessing women, POC, minors, etc., talking about their horrific experiences. But, somehow, your mind goes to the fringe examples of good people being falsely accused. And, that produces empathy for you because you see an adult white dude and think, "I identify with this person and his humanity. I can empathize with him. I'm emotionally moved at the prospect of him facing undeserved persecution."

The only way this can be a major focus for you, frankly, is if the other side doesn't produce empathy for you. Only an inability to fully view marginalized and vulnerable demographics as human beings, not just intellectually but also subconsciously and emotionally, can bring you to be more focused on the lesser problem of false accusations than the greater problem of abuse of power. That's literally the only way to balance that equation in your heart.

If you find yourself feeling more for Hollywood icons than you do for the countless victims of a predatory culture that are coming forth on a daily basis, seriously, take a step back and honestly assess how you look at people who aren't like you. And don't distract yourself with your intellectual arguments. In your heart, what is your gut reaction towards women, POC, etc.? And, what can you do about it?

coleslawed, lish, fenway89 and 9 others like this.
  20. backbynewyears

Mandela Effect

21. Fucking Dustin

1 like = 1 thought and prayer for the good white male celebrity

22. Malatesta

re Spacey, it had long been rumored that he was bi. formally, it was an open secret. in other circumstances, i would certainly understand coming out.

lish likes this.
  23. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Variety reported that there's early talks of the plan being to end House Of Cards after the current season being finished, drop Spacey's character and continue with a spin-off focusing on other characters.

lish likes this.
  24. drewinseries

Drew

Was House of Cards planning to go on after season 6? I'm being extra cynical but maybe Netflix just found this as a decent opportunity to announce the show is ending.

This entire issue is just so awful.

25. Malatesta

from what i understand it was on its way out anyway

lish likes this.