Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anthony Rapp: Kevin Spacey Made a Sexual Advance Toward Me When I Was 14 • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Hugo G.

FKA whiterussian Supporter

While I'm deeply fearful of whatever else will come to light about him, it seems that I was the only one who thought it made some sense that he came out publicly after being accused by a male. I think to a lot of people, especially older fans, it would have been a more confusing story otherwise. Not everybody is up to date, so to speak.

But yeah, it's especially messed up considering the accuser's age. Like everything else nowadays, this story will be weaponized by the bullshitters.

2. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I would, but I think it'd be better if you stumble the fuck on out because I don't have the energy to deal with the #NotAllMen crowd...

3. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Agreed. I hated Twin Peaks (I'm a big fan of the OG series) and I do enjoy Stranger Things, but yes - they play heavily on the Missing White Woman trope.

4. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

The clown shoes gotta come out at some point I guess... shocked they didn't rear their heads earlier eh?

CoffeeEyes17 and Aregala like this.
  5. failinginplace

Regular

Oh there's nothing they can do, I was more so just trying to point out that it's not like Netflix is cancelling the show because of this.

6. justin. Oct 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2017)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

That’s exactly what I thought. It’s apparent you can’t handle discussions like this if you generalize by letting emotions cloud your judgement because you to go on tantrums like a child.

It’s not #notallmen it’s the fact that you don’t have a horse’s ass of a clue what you’re talking about because there are good and honest people that are also actors.

Raku likes this.
  7. justin. Oct 30, 2017
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Still waiting for those sources that there isn’t a single good and honest person in Hollywood. Put your money where your mouth is.

Was Brad Pitt not one of the few people that stood up and threatened Harvey once Harvey tried coming onto Angelina Jolie?

Your generalized, fallicous, and sorry excuse for a miscalculated judgement was knocked out by one single person. I could list handfuls off celebrities that have never been accused of perverted stuff and a good portion of them most likely have charities and humanitarian projects. Not everyone is as cruel as your mind projects them to be.

Due to everyone on here like buzzfeed..

16 Famous People Who Prove That Not All Celebrities Are Horrible People

Raku likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I assumed they already had the ending of the show planned. Being able to decide and come up with an ending within a day of Kevin’s reveal would be almost unheard of with a project like House Of Cards.

Raku likes this.
  9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm usually at least kind of hip to the Hollywood "open secrets" but I can honestly say I had never heard any rumors about Spacey being a creep (though I knew he was gay and actually thought that was common knowledge until last night), so this was a huge shock and really disappointing. I've always really enjoyed him as an actor and I hate the fact that he's a piece of shit, I honestly had no idea. I had literally just watched Baby Driver again yesterday and read about this right when I finished

Glad he got caught/exposed, sad that he did it

fenway89 and Aaron Mook like this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

To be fair, 99% of the time I saw the rumors they were on the TV thread in 4chan, so they weren’t exactly around the internet. A lot of people probably only came across it if they were looking into the topic and rumors of pedo Hollywood.

11. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Great! There a few good eggs out there! Bravo! The whole sleazy shit show that is the entertainment industry has just been proven wonderful and pure by the actions of not even 10% of its key players! I guess we were all praying for better days for nothing hey?

So it's funny that nearly every day we're being shown just how many 'great people' are doing awful, awful things behind closed doors. And if You feel personally attacked by me targeting male celebrities in general then you, my darling, are sorely missing the point.

12. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

So is talking down and comparing anyone with a voice you don't like hearing to children your thing then?

fenway89 likes this.
  13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

You literally made a statement that is objectively false. You got upset at the topic and you couldn’t keep yourself from getting emotional and making a ridiculous claim. That is what a child does.

Critical thinking. Use it before you spout such claims. Even Google would work.

Raku likes this.
  14. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I don't care about the few good people in Hollywood right now. Good on them for not being pieces of shit, am I supposed to play nice and remember them when scum like Kevin Spacefuck pull this garbage? When my community is dragged down by this shit I couldn't care less that Brad Pitt defended someone against Weinstein (speaking of which, ever hear about what Pitt may have done to Angelina Jolie? Methinks he ain't such a nice bloke after all hey?).

It's classic for the world to expect members of marginalised groups to pat their so-called 'good eggs' on the back for not treating us like shit and to use them as reminders not to speak out too loudly. Want to think critically? Think about why an LGBT+ person like myself, or a woman/female-identifying individual might not be super pre-occupied about the 'good ones' when we're constantly on the receiving end of the awful things the 'bad ones' day and do.

Peace out.

15. justin. Oct 30, 2017
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

There is nothing that shows that the ratio for good people to bad people is that low. There are way more optimistic stories than there are pessimistic ones. Once again, you’re acting like a child and making up ratios in your head to fit a generalization that you use in your emotional defense on this topic.

If you think this is about you calling all men perverts in Hollywood, and not the fact that you made a false claim, then I don’t know what to say.

A false claim is a false claim. It doesn’t matter what group it’s about.

Raku likes this.
  16. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Whatever dude, peace out.

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Brad Pitt did nothing to Angelina Jolie. Stop reading tabloids. They have both said on multiple occasions that things are fine and they just had life differences. It’s not terribly uncommon.

And are you seriously bringing marginalized people into this to try to give yourself an excuse to post ridiculously false claims? Just how low can you go?

If you’re not preoccupied with the good ones then don’t make a generalized claim that includes the good ones. It’s that simple.

Raku likes this.
  18. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Ok.

19. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Ah yes, the good white male celebrities, the true victims

20. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Well...I honestly did not expect this thread to turn into such a shit show

21. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

This thread seems to have turned as expected.

Raku likes this.
  22. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

Raku, lish, polyfilla and 6 others like this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

It really lacks reading comprehension to not see that my comments are directed at the fact that the statement itself is false rather than whatever group the statement is about.

The falsehood of generalized statements do not depend on what the group being generalized is. If it’s false then it’s false. Stop trying to curve the ball.

Raku likes this.
  24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Not only is this sexual assault, but it's sexual assault on a minor.

"I'm gay" is not a response.

Raku, lish, AshlandATeam and 3 others like this.
  25. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

A simple google search will reveal that white men, particularly white men in positions of power, are very likely to abuse that power to commit crimes. We don’t need to #notallmen because men who don’t commit crimes are not threatened by the statistical truth. Instead of meandering through a thread on a crusade to prove not all men in Hollywood are evil, perhaps you could show some compassion towards victims of this vile, corrupt system. Yes, some celebrities are good. Many are not, and MANY people have been chewed up and spat out by the ones who are not.

More insidious than outright abuse, however, are these so-called “good guys” who are complicit in the system by not using their power to speak out. What we are seeing now is a movement built on the pain and suffering of MANY people, something truly courageous and painful...but all you care about is making sure everyone knows that you don’t care for “generalizations.”

Stay on topic. Most men can and will commit abuse against those less powerful than them. It’s a symptom of a toxic culture that we are all born into and must fight against. If you’d rather be pendantic than focus on the very real problem in Hollywood and in society at large, that tells me all I need to know about where you stand as a person.

And may I just say I’m pretty fucking tired of having to type out these long replies because some of y’all can’t use google. Educate yourselves and quit acting like calling out predatory behavior and EASILY RECOGNIZABLE PATTERNS is some personal affront to your own character.