Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ant-Man and The Wasp (Peyton Reed, July 6, 2018) Movie • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Dr. Strange was better. So was Homecoming...

AndrewSoup and justin. like this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

This move was fine but def the weakest one out of phase 3 and most of phase 2.

You could tell they needed a movie to just fill a slot between Avengers 3 and 4. It was still fun though, just not up to par with their last few releases for sure.

justin. likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Well, made it over two years on Chorus without blocking anyone.

If Vase starts making good posts, or at least the kinda bad ones worth engaging, let me know.

Henry and flask like this.
  4. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Please don't hold your breath.

5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Tim, have you written anywhere why you think that Civil War accomplishes the Avengers thing more than the other Avengers films? Would love to read your perspective but can’t remember coming across that in other threads. It’s been a long time so I might have missed that. For me, I find Civil War to be a frustrating film but I’m not familiar with the comic books.

From a film perspective I’d go 1, 3, CW, 2. (Only seen Infinity War once though so that could change down the line).

6. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I like Doctor Strange more just for the visuals and scenery (I love anything to do with ancient relics/architecture) and because I like Strange from the comics. Chewitel, Mads, and both Benedicts make it watchable for me as well.

Homecoming was the Spider-Man I expected but not the one I ultimately desired, although, like Ant-Man & The Wasp, the cast is the best thing about that film. I wouldn't be able to say which one has greater rewatch value until I watch Ant-Man & The Wasp again which will be next March/April.

It's weird because I think the story for Ant-Man & The Wasp is better than the story of the first film but I enjoyed the first film more.

8. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Agreed on pretty much every point.

AM&TW had this problem for me where I found the best parts of the movie to have nothing to do with the main characters haha. The truth serum thing was my favorite.

9. Tim

I've probably touch on it here and there. Possibly even in response to you at some point, lol, though maybe not.

The short answer is that Civil War has the strongest story while still giving me the novelty of a big crossover.

The first Avengers is a lot of fun with a very tightly, efficiently crafted plot, but its narrative doesn't really have a point other than getting the characters together. Which, to be fair, it does shockingly organically, even fitting in some hero-on-hero action that makes story sense. But, that's it. Guardians of the Galaxy followed a similar structure (granted, without the novelty of combining prior franchises) while also having a ton more heart.

Much of those same thoughts are true to an even greater degree about Infinity War. Shockingly economical and organic plotting, but not much substance under the hood. I like it more than the first Avengers because it does that film's gimmick better (and by that I largely mean bigger), and it has more of a heart at times. Though, it also has the added drawback of clashing on a character and thematic level with some of the prior films.

Age of Ultron is the worst of the three, but funny enough, an alternative cut could give it a run at being the best. Some rough IM2-style heavy-handed future film set-up, bad treatment of Natasha, some bits that need removed, a deleted scene that was really short and could've humanized the twins a little more early on... But, there's this running theme throughout the film of characters wanting to escape the Avengers life that totally mirrors the director's experience with the franchise. It just got lost amidst some of the shortcomings of both Phase 2 Marvel and Whedon himself.

Like Ultron, Civil War has a strong human core that elevates the film, but without the major issues of Ultron. It's got this central core idea of accountability and justice, which is as shallow politically as the surveillance stuff in Winter Soldier & Dark Knight, but the human element of that... I rewatched the film earlier this year, and for all the little moments that I think need trimmed, that heart still works so well for me. The confrontation between Black Panther and Zemo at the end is a top tier comic book movie moment, and Peter's words to Stark when being recruited honor his power/responsibility mantra better than all of Homecoming. It's not perfect, but I think it's the most successful Avengers movie thus far.

I don't think the comics would make a difference here, since Millar & McNiven's iconic comic book event is overrated poop that I wish I could erase from the earth, lol.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Thanks a bunch! I’ll bookmark it this time, haha! Conclusion: I need to watch Civil War again.

11. Tim

In all fairness, I remember you having a problem with what you saw as shoehorned characters, which I've never had a problem with. (Even Spider-Man, which doesn't make intellectual sense w/ Tony's argument and is made worse by that dumb "kill mode" Homecoming gag, helps build the responsibility/accountability theme enough in the recruitment scene to be a good inclusion for me.) So that might still distract you upon rewatch.

Though, maybe after Infinity War the number of characters in Civil War will feel like nothing to you, lol.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I recently watched this again. I still feel like this film wasn't able to balance the comedy as well as the first. I thought it was a good film up until the scene where Scott, Hope and Hank escape from the lab that Ghost had them in. Everything after that, to me, was a tangled mess.

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

You're blocking someone just because they prefer certain movies over others?

That seems like an overreaction and something that members in these forums do on a regular basis.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  14. Tim

I blocked him because he's consistently a douche without contributing anything of value.

There are two users with posts on this page who I've argued with a ton in recent years, and I never blocked either of them.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. Davjs

Trusted

ME!!!!!! B-)

I've liked to think I have settled down in years though. I am an old man now and internet arguing isn't something I liked to do anymore haha.

16. RyanPm40

Ah gotcha, yeah I was just looking at the context of his most recent reply. I'm unfamiliar with whatever history y'all have

17. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I've been very upfront about my past on this site and how I'm working toward being better and have apologized multiple times. Some things don't come easily to me. I'm socially inept sometimes.

However, all I said was that two movies were better than another movie. That's no reason to call me a douche and absolutely anyone else could have made the same post and no one would have cared. There are a ton of posts that "don't contribute anything of value" on this site. He made a thing out of it because he wanted to make a thing out of it. That's on him. Not me.

DrAlanGrant, GBlades and RyanPm40 like this.
  18. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

tomtom94 likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

not really a huge shock but eh

21. Tim

Good for him. I thought the second one was better than the first one (really dug the relative lack of true villains) & a pleasant breath after that Infinity War mess, but I haven't revisited it since opening weekend. I'm down for more of that cast from this director, though.

Hope Janet has a big role, & Cassie, too. And, hope Ghost returns.

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

rick and morty writer jeff loveness to write the script for AM3

RyanPm40 likes this.
  23. RyanPm40

That's rad haha

Serh likes this.
  24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Garrett L. likes this.
  25. Serh