Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Annihilation (Alex Garland, February 23, 2018) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 26, 2017.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This movie was amazing. Will have to see it again on the big screen before it's gone. May have liked it even more than Ex Machina.

fenway89 and dadbolt like this.
  2. Heading (across the street) to the theater to see this right now!

I've only seen the trailer once and it was awhile ago so I don't remember anything other than Natty P is in it. So I'm stoked since people seem to be loving it.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I didn’t love it. Disappointed.

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Went into this with very little knowledge, which is how I like to approach movies nowadays

5. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

It did mention the meteor early. I started it this week as well.

I think it was an excellent adaptation of a book that didn't feel very adaptable.

6. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I went and bought the book this morning w a leftover Barnes and noble gift card. I’ll finish it tomorrow morning probably- I think I like the movie more on the whole but the book is SOOOO creepy.

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I guess I just don’t see much substance in this content despite loving ex machina. AI seems far more intriguing than et based stuff

a nice person likes this.
  8. flask

Trusted Supporter

I thought the themes of self destruction and guilt were very raw and powerful.

9. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Fuck this was terrifying and beautiful and I need to read the book so badly

fenway89 likes this.
  10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Reading some of the interpretations of the ending, I think this has way more substance beneath the surface. It pretty much demands a re-watch.

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I’ve never done acid, but i think even the seasoned user would probably die of a heart attack during the bear scene.

12. Anthony_ Feb 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 1, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I’m really going insane trying to find where it mentions that in the book. On page 94, the biologist describes what she was told about the origins of Area X, and “The Event,” but doesn’t say what it was. Then, on pages 113-14, where she mentions the concept of a “proto-Area X,” VanderMeer seems to be implying that the phenomenon started seemingly out of nowhere and just gradually intensified until “The Event” occurred and the border was created. But nowhere up to that point is any mention of a meteor. Or, if there was, I didn’t see it just skimming back through the book right now.

Plus, most of the writing about the movie that has come out treats that as something that wasn’t in the book as well. Can you or @Garrett L. point out about where it mentions it?

fenway89 likes this.
  13. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I listened to the audiobook, so I’m gonna be of no help like an asshole, haha. But I swear I remember it being early on.

14. Anthony_

I just skimmed through up to page 120/195 or so and didn’t see it. Part of why I loved the book was because it didn’t explain anything about why Area X exists. Made it much scarier. It would be disappointing if I had missed that.

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Anthony_

“According to the first book, Area X was originally a wildlife refuge inhabited by fisherfolk near a military base, but after an ‘ill-fated Event that locked it behind borders 30 years ago,’ it became the source of many ‘inexplicable occurrences,’ and its previous residents suddenly disappeared. There is one explanation for what caused this event, but it remains suspicious: ‘The government’s version of events emphasized a localized environmental catastrophe stemming from experimental military research.’ The film offers a visualization of the Event in its opening scene: A meteor crashes into a lighthouse.”

That’s from this:

‘Annihilation’ Explainer: A Spoilery Guide to the Movie and Book

fenway89 likes this.
  16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Is the whole trilogy worth reading? Love the paperback covers.

fenway89 likes this.
  17. Anthony_

I’m currently reading the second one and it’s way different from the first one. But it’s intriguing thus far.

fenway89 and jkauf like this.
  18. jjnunn118

Update: drove to my local bookstore and bought a hardcover collection of all 3 books in the series.

fenway89 likes this.
  19. Well this was awesome

fenway89 likes this.
  20. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

This was fantastic. Really fucked me up while watching it though. So many thoughts running through my mind right now. Gonna need some time and more than likely a few more viewings with this.

fenway89 likes this.
  21. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I have a nerdy question... I understand the concept of what happened biologically inside the shimmer to plants, animals, humans, etc. But was time also different? If so, why? She said she was inside days, maybe weeks, but was actually gone for months. And her husband was gone for a year. Did he actually survive for that length of time? Just wondering if time was actually affected.

coleslawed likes this.
  22. jjnunn118

I took it as time was affected, but with no real explanation as to why

23. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah 100% there is no meteor in the book

Anthony_ likes this.
  24. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Just got home from watching. Damn that was good. Ugh I'm not going to be able to sleep for a while now.

fenway89 and airik625 like this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I kind of took it as they were experiencing “lost time”, similar to what was explored in The X-Files when a person is abducted by extraterrestrials with no memory within a timeline

fenway89 likes this.