Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Annihilation (Alex Garland, February 23, 2018) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 26, 2017.

1. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This was a better dark tower movie than The Dark Tower

Dog with a Blog and fenway89 like this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Gina Rodriguez was so good in this and I may have died when she hit on Lena, I may just be in The Shimmer constantly yelling Gina Rodriguez can any of us know for certain
    yeah this was beautiful and I like that it showed women in STEM, when Tessa was so excited about the science of The Shimmer I melted, her character was the one I'd like more of but you can never have enough Tessa now can you
    also reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on the couch with Oscar Isaac seems like the dream, or doing anything on a couch with him
    only thing I'm not so sure about is Josie's self harm and whether it was necessary to the story , it also felt weird that Cassie divulged that information idk doesn't seem like it was hers to tell

also jee whiz that snake scene was hard to watch

dadbolt and Zilla like this.
  3. I’m so excited to see this next week.

4. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I absolutely adored this

5. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Holy shit, what a fucking movie.

Edit: Also want to note, my 10:30 showing was pretty full. Hopefully that bodes well.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. flask

Trusted Supporter

For what its worth I did notice a lot of people posting they had watched or were planning on watching this this weekend. Even people who I wouldn't peg as sci fi fans. Wonder what their reaction is gonna be lol.

fenway89 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  7. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I think we’re honestly gonna just go see this again today. God bless MoviePass.

8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

This was fantastic. Didn’t really tell the same story as the book at all (which is fine, it told a better one imo).

coleslawed, dadbolt and fenway89 like this.
  9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm so fucking salty over here about Moviepass. Every time I see a post about it I'm so jealous. Also jealous that I have no way to see this right now.

fenway89 likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

unsurprisingly not a great cinemascore

I mean I was saying WTF a lot but I was expecting that

11. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

anyone whose read the book should go in anticipating something that isn’t going to make total sense. whatever. cinemascore is dumb.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. alextisonfire

https://soundcloud.com/beerherepodcast Supporter

Seeing this in an hour and a half. So damn excited by this thread's reactions.

fenway89 and Mrplum5089 like this.
  13. Anthony_ Feb 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I like the movie a lot, probably even loved it, but don't think I adored it. I liked the different direction that Garland took it in from the book, I thought it was an interesting alternative theory/interpretation/telling of essentially the same setup. It was beautifully made though, and the horror scenes were well done. The cast was also very, very good.

One thing I did not appreciate, though, was how Garland right away shows a meteor crashing into the lighthouse, immediately letting you know where Area X came from. I personally think this kind of ruined the mystique of the situation and the entire thing would’ve been much more unsettling if, like in the book, you never find out where Area X came from.

Ultimately, I definitely preferred the book but the movie was very enjoyable. And I’ll always support good science fiction at the theater.

Dog with a Blog and fenway89 like this.
  14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Sitting in the theater now, so stoked.

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Just read the book on Thursday/Friday and I'm almost 100% sure it mentions the meteor very quickly in.

dadbolt likes this.
  16. I decided to see this today and I thought it was spectacular. The mirroring scene was one of the coolest things I’ve seen in a movie recently.

17. alextisonfire

I felt like I was tripping my balls off during that one sequence.

Mrplum5089 and fenway89 like this.
  18. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Wow.

Think a lot of general audiences aren’t going to like this, unfortunately. But yes, please see in a theater. I want to watch those last 20-30 minutes over and over again.

19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Also, the thing on the swimming pool wall was so cool and disturbing.

20. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I can’t decide if it would be the best or the worst idea ever to see this on acid. I feel like it could go either way.

21. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Neither local theater near Fort Knox is playing this so we're driving up to Louisville to see it tonight.

22. alextisonfire

I am officially on board for all Alex Garland projects. Really excited to see where he goes next.

On the movie - trying to not overanalyze it just yet. My reaction has been more to just think about how it made me feel and how the tone impacted me once the final credits rolled. I can say that I want to experience it again and am so glad I got the chance to see it in a theater. I think it was truly something special.

fenway89 likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Really enjoyed this, lots of elements made me think of John Carpenter’s The Thing, one of my favorite horror movies

24. Anthony_ Feb 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2018)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That’s not how I remember it at all and I read it on Wednesday. I remember something happened 30 years prior to the book’s events, something that they refer to as “The Event,” but which we never find out the true nature of. And that’s what caused Area X to be evacuated.

Also there’s the bit about the “proto-Area X,” where the biologist learns that strange things had been happening along that coast for decades prior to The Event.

fenway89 likes this.
  25. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter