Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Annihilation (Alex Garland, February 23, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I was really creeping myself out reading it last night, to be honest. It's so effective at evoking the fear of the unknown/unknowable (which, in my opinion, is the scariest type of horror) just through the way the biologist describes what she's experiencing/seeing and how it makes her feel. You called it Lovecraftian on the last page and I would have to concur in that assessment.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. GBlades

Trusted

Now skipping theatres in UK and heading straight to Netflix.

3. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Haha yeah that was me. I said it was the best Lovecraft book that Lovecraft never wrote.

4. Anthony_

Yeah I went back and edited my post before you replied. It was a good call, I felt it too while reading, just in terms of how both Lovecraft and this book trade in that hopeless feeling of being totally insignificant and powerless to resist, or to even understand, what is happening. Just messes me right up.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. Connor

Haha you were quick with the edit! But yeah I think its the best kind of horror honestly. This weird almost cosmic terror of something beyond our comprehension or beyond the character's comprehension, and the powerlessness against it is very unnerving

6. Anthony_

Yeah this is what really scares the hell out of me in books and movies. I could go see something like IT or any random slasher movie and feel no fear whatsoever, regardless of how good the movie is, but you drop a character into a dread-soaked, inevitably futile struggle against some unknowable force and I'm ready to cover my eyes.

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Anthony_

In the book, from the moment she inhales the spores it was a solid nope for me haha

Barresi and fenway89 like this.
  8. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I thought it was only hitting theaters in US and Canada in the first place? That’s what I’ve heard all week.

Zilla and fenway89 like this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Can’t wait to see this tonight.

fenway89 likes this.
  10. GBlades

Trusted

I would have liked to see it in theatres so might have made an assumption. Thought it was weird that it was basically a "confirmation" that its not hitting theatres here.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

I’m having issues with that and I am in the US haha

Screen Junkies brought it up a few times this past week and think it was a mistake to do it. They say it’s a movie you need to see in theaters to truly appreciate it.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. Connor

Haha her attitude about it messed me up to. Like she is super matter of fact about it, and about the changes it starts creating. Her attitude is creepy AF

Anthony_ likes this.
  13. Anthony_

I haven't finished it yet, is it safe to hover over that? haha

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Connor

Oh thats hard to say. How far are you? Its just about how her attitude relates to your post. Nothing really spoilery

15. Anthony_

I left off right after the part where she's going back to base camp after watching the Psychologist die and something charges at her but turns away at the last second

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Connor

Yeah then you don't have to worry about my post. I did spoil anything you haven't read!

Anthony_ likes this.
  17. Anthony_

Yeah I mean I don't even know if that even needed a spoiler tag haha. Although I always err on the cautious side as well, because I revile spoilers, so respect for doing it.

fenway89 likes this.
  18. Connor

Haha yeah I'm always super cautious case I don't want to make any body mad or ruin anything for someone. Also the Psychologist freaked me out a bunch in the book.

Anthony_ likes this.
  19. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

So is this based just off the first book in the southern reach trilogy? I'm almost done with book 3 and I'm curious if I should watch this before I finish book 3. There's some shit in that trailer that doesn't look familiar at all so I'm wondering if it's potential spoils or if the movie is only loosely based on the book(s)? Anyone know?

20. Connor

Only based off the first. It has significant changes though. Alex Garland started writing before the book was even published.

Dave Diddy likes this.
  21. Anthony_

So...anybody see it yet?

fenway89 likes this.
  22. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Had my whole day planned around seeing it this evening, but got caught up. Tomorrow afternoon it is.

fenway89 likes this.
  23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This was great. Definitely should be seen in theaters.

24. Connor Feb 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 22, 2018)
    Connor

With the rating, what does the “some sexuality” refer to? Just curious cause there isn’t anything like that in the book

25. flask

Trusted Supporter

Theres one sex scene you just see Natalie's back but theres no nudity really. It's really short and its a flashback scene that they show twice.

Zilla and fenway89 like this.