Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Annihilation (Alex Garland, February 23, 2018) Movie • Page 19

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 26, 2017.

1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I keep thinking about the sound of this randomly, it’s such a highlight. I also need to revisit it after taking it in for a bit. It was such an assault on the senses the first time, I wonder if any of that will change knowing what’s coming or if it’s just that intense forever.

2. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Did a double feature of this on the projector. Sunshine was first, then Annihilation. turned out to be an excellent pairing. love both.

3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Sunshine is incredible.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
  4. flask

Trusted Supporter

Sunshine slaps. Third act included.

5. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

to be a total self-plugging scrub, we put out a year end episode of our podcast and one of our guests did an INCREDIBLE academic breakdown on his thoughts of Annihilation. I think it's worth listening to- I was blown away when we recorded.

coleslawed, Joe, Nathan and 2 others like this.
  6. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

This was good, but the Lighthouse act was fantastic.

The framing of it as an interview with the scientist in the hazmat suit was annoying and unnecessary, though. Should have just had the important stuff at the end. Right from the beginning you know the fate of all of the other people on the team, and there was one line in particular that irked me, where out of nowhere they used the interview to reveal that the Leigh's character had cancer and that was her motivation for finally going in

kyle and coleslawed like this.
  7. I finally watched this last night and I loved it. Very cool movie. I definitely need to watch it again.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Can’t remember sunshine

9. yung_ting

Trusted

It doesn’t matter that you know she “got out” or the fate of the others from the onset - it’s not the point of the movie

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

This thread makes me want to argue why Sunshine is so great, third act included.

BackyardHero11 and flask like this.
  11. flask

Trusted Supporter

Danny Boyle needs to do another sci fi movie. Actually what is he up to these days?

12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

coleslawed and stars143 like this.
  13. stars143

Trusted

Danny Boyle has such an eclectic filmography. This thread reminds me that I need to watch T2.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Boyle is a hack.

yung_ting likes this.
  15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

He had so much potential. At least 28 Days Later, and Sunshine were good.

16. dlemert

Trusted

Counterpoint: Danny Boyle is great.

coleslawed, stars143 and aoftbsten like this.
  17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Boyle has made multiple fantastic movies. Cmon

18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Trance and 127 hours were not good, and I also didn’t care for Slumdog.

19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd say he has five or six good movies but with Sunshine and Steve Jobs being amazing.

flask likes this.
  20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d say Danny Boyle lies somewhere between hack and great.

21. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

He’s def. a filmmaker

Greg, coleslawed, dadbolt and 3 others like this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

+ 28 Days Later

23. Morrissey

Trusted

28 Days Later is good until the military shows up, and Sunshine is good until the scary monster shows up. The rest of his movies are pretty bad.

Cameron likes this.
  24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

28 Weeks > 28 Days

25. OotyPa

fall away

Just watched this. Wasn’t a huge fan of the narrative structure as we could have started with the meteorite landing and moved forward chronologically. The interview framework kept pulling me out of the “trance” of the beautiful visuals and sound, which really is the selling point of the whole film imo. I also wish Kane was written as a complete character. Even his flashback scenes felt like filler shots in between the dramatic moments. They could have easily swapped the affair scenes to better develop Lena and Kane’s marriage. The lighthouse act was stellar all the way through, though, and I’ll be thinking on the themes for awhile. Overall, not as impeccable as I expected from all the hype but still very happy to have watched.