Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anime • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Snoblin, Mar 15, 2016.

1. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I forced myself to accept "anime magic" as the answer for the perception issues that a lot of the characters end up with -- maybe Fuko wouldn't show up in videos/photographs, or people just wouldn't be able to see her in them. Same with not having her try to physically interact with the people who can't see her. Those situations all depend on some form of interaction with Fuko. But just scribbling something down on paper? If that gets meddled with, it's no longer a simple perception/retention issue, but some outside force actively wiping out even attenuated physical traces of her existence. And it would be weirdly selective for that force to let them keep a wooden carving, but not a scrap of paper saying "HEY THIS IS WHO FUKO IS NOW DON'T FORGET YOU DUMMIES."

I've clearly overthought this.

At any right, I'll definitely periodically chime in with my thoughts! I love the writing overall. The series has a great sense of humor and definitely a few poignant gut-punches so far. Just started the Kotomi arc; will report back.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  2. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Also, I've been bouncing around pilots for series from the last few years that I've missed out on. I gave the first episode of The Seven Deadly Sins a shot, but I'm a little turned off by the way it portrayed/treated Elizabeth. Is it worth sticking with?

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I agree, really unsure whether I'll even bother finishing it honestly. I'm going to give it a few more episodes but then I might drop it if it doesn't go anywhere more interesting.

4. Attack on Titan is bad enough as it is.

(shots intentionally fired)

5. SpyKi

Watched episode 1 of Kiznaiver and I'm super into it. It's so good seeing that art style again and I'm very interested in where the story goes.

Not taking the Attack on Titan bait, haha.

6. SpyKi

"I'd like to offer something to ponder. In Sonozaki's exposition she does list the Seven Deadly Sins but then says the list needs to be updated for the modern world. She then lists out a set of well-worn character tropes used in just about every anime. I believe what Trigger is saying is that these character tropes represent modern anime's Seven Deadly Sins. A list of character archetypes anime and its assorted sources draw from time and time again. Trigger then creates a scenario where these characters are linked, sharing each other's pain. While not a new idea I will wager Trigger's goal will be to use this as a mechanism to explore and overturn the tropes.

In KLK Trigger takes one of the most overused plot tropes: child seeking revenge for the death of a parent, the most overused character tropes: super-powered uber-cool MC, wacky sidekick, power-hungry class president, then crafts a story that defies the plot line these tropes usually play out in. It is Trigger's signature to take tropes and then own them in ways no other studio has imagined."

Saw this over on Crunchyroll about Kiznaiver and I think it's a great take on the show.

MFA likes this.
  7. SpyKi

I'm looking at anime forums for the first time really because I'm bored and interested in what people think about Kiznaiver and it's so depressing to see so many people writing it off based on assumptions they're making about the show in it's first episode or getting annoyed that everything isn't explained straight away. I've seen people saying it's too safe as well as people saying it's too weird. People saying it's too comedic and people saying it's taking itself too seriously, haha.

Not sure if all anime get this kind of reception or if it's just this one, haha.

8. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

haikyuu is gonna start being published here. debating whether i should start adding that to my collection

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Watching twin star exorcists and after reading discussion about it and how it's changed from the manga, getting a little skeptical of how the anime will pan out

10. StepsInADance

ive considered watching it but with pierrot behind it and apparently an anime only character being added im not too sure about it. might just keep on with the manga. also the first piece of art i saw for the series looked awful

11. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah it's a silly fox that's a mascot for Benio. He provides nothing but comic relief so far? Not sure why any of this is being done when people seemed to love the manga this much...

12. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

With the most recent episode's addition of Hisomu as the token anime pervert aka the "immoral" as the show puts it, this is becoming more and more believable, haha. Super good theory.

Also Sonozaki fits certain character tropes to a T, too. Seen the sort of cold, knows everything white haired girl trope around a fair bit too much recently and it got on my nerves in the first episode, so it's kind of refreshing to see that, with that theory in mind, there's potential for her cliche to be overturned too.

13. SpyKi

Yeah, I assumed there was more to the characters than the first episode showed but I didn't put it together quite as nicely as that idea. I'm really liking it so far though and very excited to see where it goes.

14. MFA

Boku No Hero Academia is a reaaaal nice adaptation so far, the manga is super great and they're doing a real good job of the animation and pacing. Looking forward to watching the rest of it

Also everyone should watch Sakamoto Desu Ga it's so great, there's stuff from the manga which I literally cannot wait to see animated because it's the sort of thing where having movement and voicing makes the jokes funnier

15. Almost all of the Rurouni Kenshin manga volumes are $0.01 used on Amazon (+$3.99 shipping, of course). I just had a very bad idea.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

whhhhyyyyyyyyy am I still reading Bleach? The ideas they are rolling with are sooooo so stupid at this point.

MFA likes this.
  17. MFA

The author forgot what he was doing a long time ago. I'm still pissed off about the Kensei vs Wonderweiss fiasco where there's the double page spread of Kensei's bankai... and then nothing. Fight was completely forgotten about. Also the different versions of Hueco Mundo (first it's a city, then it's a dome), and there's so much more.

Also if you show off your SUPER POWERFUL POWER second, you win the fight. This applies to literally just about every single fight in the series and it's incredibly frustrating to read because of it

It's like Fairy Tail, I'm literally just reading it out of an obligation to finish it rather than enjoyment

Jacob Davidson and Henry like this.
  18. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

Anybody read the most recent manga of Naruto? It basically provides some back story for Mitsuki.

19. MFA

What's it called?

20. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Man I remember collecting those 8 bucks a volume when they released in the US. christ.

21. StepsInADance

almost every jump series from 2005-2010 is worth a penny a volume. most of my hxh collection was bought that way.

22. They get you with the shipping, though.

Getting a manga volume for a penny, or getting a $60 game for $7.50 in a Steam sale, how does that support the artist? I guess getting something used vs. on sale isn't the same thing. But I have to believe that buying a book for a penny is better than reading scanlations like getting something in a Humble Bundle or streaming on Spotify with ads is better than torrenting.

23. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

MFA likes this.
  24. StepsInADance

roommate got me j-stars victory vs for my b day!

Raku likes this.
  25. Jacob Davidson

Regular

I'm getting back into reading manga and I don't wanna just read online since artists don't get anything from it, but buying all sorts of volumes is kinda expensive too. Is there a good affordable way to read manga like Jojo and Berserk?