Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Anime • Page 58

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Snoblin, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Raku

Regular

I'll be honest, you're absolutely right, we don't need either.

However, this is something I've thought about (in particular with DragonBall) when it comes to Hollywood's desire to adapt manga/anime into movies. Which I wish they didn't because it's hard to properly adapt the material in a live-action medium while still retaining the charm of the anime. Hence why I would be open to (but still wouldn't fully approve) the 3D animation adaptation. Sort of like what happened to the recent Gamba noBōken (I'm sorry, "Air Bound" as the poorly done dub likes to call it) film.

Which I heard wasn't good, but the point is still there

It's just something I think about every time I see an American live-action adaptation of an anime/manga gets announced. Especially with the poor track record, and how that one DB film (that won't be named) still hurts to this day...

I don't know, these things bum me out, and mess with my head. I know I should just ignore these American live-action adaptations of anime/manga, and focus on other things. However, it sucks when they do it with a franchise (or in my case multiple) that you're very attached to =/

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I mean, the problem with anime adaptations is the content right? If you did a live action adaptation of something like My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu or Laid-back Camp those (theoretically) would be easier to do than something like Big O or Hunter X Hunter. Whenever the content is relied so heavily not just on CGI or action, but also unique character designs, facial expressions and a variety of crazy locations then it usually ends up becoming too much to properly handle in live action with the budgets they give them (sometimes even with a good budget).

It's hard when the show you are adapting isn't terribly grounded in reality. Animation allows for very special and specific locations, character movements, action and such that can only be done in animation. When you take out those elements or try to force those elements into live action, it tends to become bad. I've yet to see something that's really been done well enough where I can say it's even worth attempting at this time.

There's also the problem now that if you are planning on making a live action adaptation, a majority of people are already betting it's going to be bad because that's what they've come to expect so it makes it that much harder on everyone from fans to the creators. The pressure to make a movie of something you love and to share your unique take on it without getting lampooned by the hardcore fans of the series must be very hard to deal with. Fans are also just letting themselves down by holding too tightly on to the source material so they don't give the new work enough a chance to breath on it's own.

It's very complicated and that sucks because movies are hard enough to make as it is. Going into something and just expecting people to be let down sucks.

Raku likes this.
  3. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I’m interested

4. Bane

The spiciest meme

hey my anime peeps, after months and months I have finally finished the Chimera Ant arc in HxH

Ummmmmm yea, good shit. I'm torn in some ways. For the longest time I thought this arc was going too long, and I still feel that in somewhat vague ways I can't define, but it definitely needed that time for a bunch of the payoffs. Meruem and Komugi, Welfin and some of the other side Ants that I didn't think would get much or survive to the end, Gon's struggle with Kite....definitely made the arc special. I'm hesitantly putting it on favorite arc for HxH now I guess? It's still a bit of a toss up between it and Yorknew, but this had some really really great highs. Pouf did WAAAAAY more than I thought he would, ended up being the most impactful Royal Guard member. Palm was a beast in her own right.

And boy, magic not helping you in your fight against the ultimate being? Just use a fuckin man-made atomic bomb! I kind of wish they went a bit more into Netero actually getting that done, like they had the flash for a few seconds with the doctor looking at him but I kind of wish it went into a discussion afterward of him dealing with the pros and cons of it.

And yea, a round of applause for Welfin. He shocked me the most out of anyone I think, he really bullshitted his way to the end and kept himself completely relevant!

SpyKi likes this.
  5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That arc is probably my favourite in anime.

6. I haven't seen a lot of the more recent live-action anime adaptations (they seem to go straight to Netflix nowadays--the increase in convenience and subsequent decrease in my interest is quite ironic), but I really liked Beck, Solanin, and all three Rurouni Kenshins. Granted, yeah, the first two didn't require much CGI, and compared to something like Bleach or FMA (which, again, I haven't seen), RK didn't require as much, either. (I keep forgetting Battle Royale was technically an adaptation [first a novel, then the manga and film at around the same time]. First film is a classic, second one's just alright.) I just found out Gantz actually has three live-action films. I'd watched some (or maybe all?) of the anime, but never read it; apparently the manga is much better. That's another one that would be heavily reliant on CGI. I guess, for me personally, unless they like really, really butcher it, the story is secondary to the look and feel for any live-action adaptations because I'd already read the manga and/or seen the anime. As long as it resembles what it's based on, it's worth the 1.5-2hr investment. I tend to steer clear of any American attempts, though. But against my better judgment I am actually really interested in Battle Angel Alita (wasn't a fan of James Cameron's Avatar, but I guess for Alita he's more of a producer than the director).

SpyKi likes this.
  7. JeanRalphio

Regular Supporter

Anyone watch Castlevania? Is it any good?

8. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Only heard great things. Plan to start it over the Thanksgiving break.

JeanRalphio likes this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

HOLY SHIT

Josh, SpyKi, Aregala and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Weird. I thought Netflix was trying to add more quality stuff to their library.

11. omgwtfgtfobbq

12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Finally I can get my friends to watch it!

13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

So excited for a rewatch, one of my absolute favorites.

14. Awesome. Netflix has some great shows. Madoka, Devilman, Kill la Kill, Brotherhood.

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

In response to the live action Cowboy Bebop show on Netflix:

Screenshot_20181128-132301_Twitter.jpg

Raku and StepsInADance like this.
  16. Bane

The spiciest meme

And he plays both Seita and Setsuko

17. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

"Rob Schneider is Ein the Dog!"

Raku and Davjs like this.
  18. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Raku and Shakriel like this.
  19. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Yo, this Netflix stuff is all well and good, but how in the fuck are y’all not talking more about Zombieland Saga and how it’s the best anime of this - and possibly any - season?

Also, I just signed up for VRV, and though it’s great, why are the HiDive subtitle so weird and obnoxious looking on PS4? Anybody know if they’ve announced plans to fix that?

Shakriel likes this.
  20. Bane

The spiciest meme

I think I mentioned Zombieland in here back around when it first started, it's super good. Episode 8 completely wrecked me.

Also Saki best girl.

GEM37 likes this.
  21. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

ZLS is alright. This season has been really blah.

22. Bane

The spiciest meme

ZLS, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (trust me, even with that name), Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san, and Jojo have made this season pretty great actually!

Oh and then there's Goblin Slayer which is still thoroughly mediocre but there's a cool Lizard Priest dude in it

GEM37 likes this.
  23. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Gridman, anyone?

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  24. Bane

The spiciest meme

I've heard from multiple people Gridman is great but I haven't checked it out yet