Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Angels and Airwaves Band • Page 88

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by skurt, Apr 5, 2016.

1. drummerAVA

Trusted

I gotta say, this song is hitting hard right now... I mean, if you’re following current events at all...

“Wishing I could stop the fear, as the summer nights come near.”

Mcrx and manoverboard365 like this.
  2. manoverboard365

Trusted

Listened again to that song for the first time in months. Man, it would've been so much better if they cut that minute long intro.

drummerAVA likes this.
  3. drummerAVA

Trusted

Felt this right away... 100%... like I’m OK with it now, but it just feels so drab and half-baked.

4. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I feel that way about a lot of AVA songs haha.

MRose24 likes this.
  5. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I say bring on the extended intros. Make them longer even! Bwahaha!

DyingGaslight and coleslawed like this.
  6. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Extended intros are cool when done right but Tom doesn’t really know how to do that

7. prattsy

Regular

Exactly. Thanks for clarifying for me!

8. Mcrx

Regular

cliffnotes??

9. Mcrx

Regular

i never listened to it enough to know all the lyrics, but i found myself into it for the first time the other day (didn't really like it before). I think it's just because I'm so obsessed with Tom. ;)

but I have noticed the long intros. i don't know though. I'm not complaining very much when it comes to AVA these days. Is it growing on me??!! I mean, the great songs were always great, but I'm like coming around on the others, particularly the real cringey ones, like Breathe and i forget what else. heheh

10. Matt did a LOT after TBS including improv at UCB and a radio show. It’s crazy to him when he’s tracking bass and hearing Tom’s iconic voice. It’s a fun time to be in a band with people his age. And he’s classically trained. TBS’ producer told Fred before he tracked his guitars for Louder Now that Matt’s bass playing and musicianship was among the best he’d ever seen.

Raku, DyingGaslight and Mcrx like this.
  11. Mcrx

Regular

@David Parke
    that's cool! but is he referring to like the younger members of TBS as not his own age? i mean, well, i guess it is a bit of a gap. heheh interesting! I get it! but then there's Ilan. He's like a baby, right?? lol

--------------------

12. Mcrx

Regular

ok review time!! -Love Part 2

well, it's gonna be shortened (highlights) due to it being late and I'm tired.

1 Saturday Love-Intro started out aMAZing, but then I was underwhelmed when Tom's vocals started. :/
    2&3 Surrender and Anxiety-already enjoying those, especially Anxiety. worried about them being both together and at the beginning of an unknown album, but oh well.
    4 My Heroine-(think it was this one) reminded me too much of Anxiety in it's main sound, which I don't really think is a good thing...but it's a good song. arguably better than Anxiety, which is crazy!

skipping

well, I started drifting off into Revelator. I think it's an ok song, but this album put me to sleep. ha! When I woke at the end of All That We Are, I went back to some of these.

11 All That We Are (last track, but next to hear)-It's like good, but long. I'm kinda mixed on it.

10 Behold a Pale Horse-actually, this is the only other one that I can remember clearly being interested in. crazy lyrics though! but nice sound

Overall, it's "too much" for me, especially for a first listen. I appreciate the talent of this style, but I just struggle with these long dramatic rock songs, unless there's like a film to it or something. I just prefer shorter, more upbeat kinda songs these days. So, right now it's lower tier AVA for me, but not saying it's bad stuff either. ;)

13. drummerAVA

Trusted

Yeah, I like a good intro as long as it doesn’t drag the song down... nothing wrong with a slow builder. Building tension is an important component to music, IMO.

I suppose it’s all subjective, but it’s one of those things where when I hear something and it’s not working for me, it’s usually pretty glaring, especially when it comes to vocals, in the delivery aspect.

I’ve always really enjoyed the musical component of AVA when it doesn’t get too stuck in its own tropes or feel “pieced together.” Maybe thats just a production or mixing thing, but when everything gels, it’s great.

Like Valkyrie Missile... I had never heard anything like that before, when that came out. Still can’t really think of anything like it... And it all just works, and now it’s extremely nostalgic and probably always will be, for me.

Mcrx, David Parke and DyingGaslight like this.
  14. Mcrx

Regular

@drummerAVA I agree with most of that, but I don't know about Valkyrie Missile. I played it again a few times last night and I remember really struggling with it. That one and the next track on WDNTW. But then the rest of the album, I like love love! Not trying to knock your enjoyment or anything, just funny that people can hear things differently. :)

15. Mcrx

Regular

Oops! I was going to say more, but changing topic a bit...

So like, it's amusing to me that Rubano is now in AVA (also, was he let go from TBS? I can't remember exactly now)...but amusing because I see a lot of TBS influence on Tom in early AVA, particularly the Adam Lazzara like dance moves. I really liked that! Heh!

But, Tom's sorta lost that now...maybe Rubano will somehow bring it back out of him though. Ha! I dunno! I just miss cool Tom. I mean, he's still cool, but his dancing IS a bit awkward now. Probably has to do with the sobriety (or you know, no more hard drugs or drug misuse)...and I actually very much respect that.

16. Mcrx

Regular

17. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Mcrx likes this.
  18. Mcrx

Regular

So folks, is it cool that I like got to have a chat with him tonight?? (I took it has pretty cool anyway...and I asked him to say hi to Tom for me. :crylaugh:)

Daniel182 likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Rubano is a super cool dude!

Mcrx likes this.
  20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

New song clips from the studio put together in one video.

Mcrx, Raku and Preserved Moose like this.
  21. For Tom's sake, I hope the new album rules. There's some good clips in there.

But I hope the Blink fanbase hates it so people will (hopefully) finally shut up about how Blink NEEDS Tom. haha.

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I have a feeling this new album is going to pick up where DED left off, but with even more hints of AVA. At least thats the vibe I get from all these clips.

The 3 pre-released songs still sound refreshing to me, specifically Rebel Girl and Kiss & Tell. Which is surprising considering how long they've been out haha. I STILL hear Rebel Girl on the radio out here.

23. DyingGaslight

DyingUnderGaslight

I could get behind a AVA / DED style album. He finally feels like he's ready to embrace his pop/ blink influences now and I have a feeling that this next album will be one of my favourites.

Mcrx, Raku, AlwaysEvolving21 and 2 others like this.
  24. AlwaysEvolving21 Aug 28, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2020)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I hope that's the case. Personally, I really like Dream Walker. It's an easy listen and its cool to hear Tom front more of a Lo-Fi sound. But what excites me most for this new album is that I think Tom has broken free from musical expectations since he's been away for awhile. He hasn't had to think about live shows or writing music for a long time before getting into this new era. Eventhough his sister basically forced him to turn the key with AVA and tour again, it seemed like the best thing for him. He genuinely looked happy when I saw him less than a year ago. Smiling, interacting with people, telling his stupid jokes, sounding better than he has in a long time too.

Things just seem more organic and 'Tom-like' in these new songs and clips. Kinda like Tom is free-flowing and we get to hear Tom again. Plus, he's got a pretty talented team backing him up. I mean, NIN drummer? Bass slappin' Rubano? That excites the crap out of me.

IDK. We will see soon enough. A holiday time release would be cool. Start the new year off as fresh as we can get.

Mcrx, Raku, Rowan5215 and 3 others like this.
  25. manoverboard365

Trusted

Some of those clips sound really promising! Still think Rebel Girl and Kiss & Tell are two of the best Tom written songs since like 2006. I'd imagine even though Tom is "co producing," he's really letting Aaron Rubin take the wheel on this record.