Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Angels and Airwaves Band • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by skurt, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TheJMan

Trusted

Yeah just jumped on Amazon and all his books are rated highly. Interesting. Good for him.

2. TheJMan Nov 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 3, 2016)
    TheJMan

Trusted

What? That's just crazy talk.

Since 2009, Tom with blink put out 1 full length album, Neighborhoods, and 1 EP, DED. During that same time frame Tom with AVA put out 3 full length albums Love Part 1 & 2, and Dream Walker and 3 EPs (Stomping, Of Nightmares and Chasing Shadows). And that's not even getting into Tom's lack of effort in recording Neighborhoods such as even listening to the master tracks or putting little effort into any of the Mark only songs. Also as Mark and Travis mentioned most of his social media posts were about promoting AVA stuff and very little blink related posts.

The only thing you can say that Tom treated blink better than AVA was touring since I don't think AVA has put on a show since 2012. Part of the reason was AVA really stopped being a band after the Love albums dropped (do we even know the real story behind David leaving/getting kicked out and the rotation of bass players?) and there was much more money in touring with blink. Even when he was touring with blink he was promoting AVA by wearing his Love shirts and only granting radio interviews if the radio station would play AVA music.

Kuri44 and bradsonemanband like this.
  3. devenstonow

Noobie

Does anyone remember a youtube video that was a parody of Tom post-AVA announcement and Start the Machine? The few jokes I remember:

"I wear nothing but this sheet because my clothes were stifling me"

"blink were stifling my creativity"

"Tom makes us come out to this beach three times a week and stare out into the sunset for inspiration"

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  4. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I took a pretty lengthy break from listening to AvA after being a really big fan since the beginning - Just ran through their catalogue again once I realised I-Empire was turning 10 this year! Probably an unpopular opinion on this site, but I miss the band. Would quite like Tom to get focussed enough to have a full band AvA in touring/recording mode again (preferably with music in the vein of the first 2 albums). Although, I suppose money wise, if he was to tour again, he'd probably want back on the blink train.

Peachfuzz likes this.
  6. TheJMan

Trusted

I think the majority of this site would welcome a motivated Tom starting up AVA again, especially if his song writing is similar to what it was for his first 2 albums.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

last EP was real good tho

8. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

anything about the WDNTW acoustic version?

9. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I hadn't listened to AVA in a few years but I just listened to The Dream Walker, Chasing Shadows, and Of Nightmares back to back and I am beyond impressed. Not sure the hate, I think they are objectively good albums.

clockwise likes this.
  10. Horrorca

Trusted

I really like some AVA jams

I can say it without irony

they are good songs and Tom is great

coleslawed likes this.
  11. Sybil

Regular

I remember this

12. manoverboard365

Trusted

Haha I loved that video. My favorite part is when the guitar player dies and is resurrected days later and Tom is not impressed at all.

13. Sybil

Regular

I tried for like 10 mins to find the video, cant find it lol.

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

David was in AVA's music video for Tunnels, which I'm sure most are aware of, so he was still in the picture, but not creatively. I spoke with him about year or so ago at his coffee shop (James Coffee Co.) about AVA stuff. At the time, he said he and Tom were still close friends and that he had been concentrating on getting his coffee shop up and going now that he's got employees to take care of, so it didn't really make sense for him really be apart of the creative process any longer. That and Tom has been doing his own projects.

PS. If you're ever in San Diego or haven't checked out his coffee shop, go check it out. It's pretty cool inside. He really developed it into something special since it originally opened in Little Italy. The coffee is good too. Not my favorite here in SD, but its up there on my list and the business seems to be doing well.

TheJMan likes this.
  15. Horrorca

Trusted

is the NIN dude still involved with AVA?

16. TheJMan

Trusted

I believe so. According to AVA the only members are Tom and Ilan.

17. alaskancurry

100% agree with you. WDNTW to this day is still one of my favorite albums ever.

18. Kuri44

Was coming in to ask if we should be expecting a Catherdrals of Glass/Of Blood and Ice EP, but I just asked Ilan (through instagram) if he could give any updates on AVA and he replied with "nothing on AVA. That's Tom's dept. You can reach him at @tomdelonge" So I'm thinking probably not.

TheJMan likes this.
  19. Horrorca

Trusted

so he's out

20. devenstonow

Noobie

inb4'ilan.is.out.'

beachdude42 and bradsonemanband like this.
  21. AVA is done. Let's be honest.

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I mean, as long as Tom can find some musicians who will tolerate him for a little while, there could always be future AVA stuff :-p

23. studio stuff, maybe. but touring? i think Tom is over that.

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Stinks, because the songs translated really well live when I saw them.

25. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Ah, yeah you're probably right about that.

bradsonemanband likes this.