Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Angels and Airwaves Band • Page 48

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by skurt, Apr 5, 2016.

1. TheJMan

Trusted

It might be the best AVA song since anything on iEmpire. Granted I haven't listened/remember any of the EPs he did and haven't heard any of the Love albums or Dream Walker since probably 2015 so I'm not the best judge.

2. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Video treatment should have just been the "Rebel Girl" matching Tom's dance moves. I kept waiting for her to dance in the video and it never happened.

"DANCE MY LITTLE REBEL GIRL AND SHOW ME HOW YOU MOVE!"

3. drummerAVA

Trusted

LOVE had some real gems, not the best as a whole... some of those albums started to feel a bit copy/paste...

But The Dream Walker was a huge shift and has some of my favorite AVA material on it. Tunnels, Kiss With a Spell, Mercenaries, Bullets in the Wind, The Disease, Tremors... awesome run of songs.

As someone who was kinda getting over old AVA, there honestly wasn’t much that I disliked about TDW...

Linton9488 likes this.
  4. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

The video could have been salvaged just a little bit by having him just not be there when she got back or just showing him getting over it quickly and not making a big deal out of it and the shots of the blood being just imagined.

But no instead it's played for a laugh which is tone deaf enough on it's own much less the entire premise being misguided.

And did Tom really write this this song about being friendzoned as a married 43 year old man?

5. drummerAVA

Trusted

Rumor is that Tom and his wife split a little while ago... and apparently he sold his home near San Diego and everything. Idk...

Not saying that plays into the songwriting here at all... but who knows? Not 100% on any of this, I’ve just seen these talks going on for a while now.

Yellowcard2006 likes this.
  6. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Singing about being friendzoned doesn't bother me, as long as I enjoy the song.
    Mark's still singing about hopping fences and blaming his youth after all, lol. (Love BIOMY, ps)

Video sounds... bad, though

coleslawed likes this.
  7. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Blink-182’s Tom DeLonge sells Del Mar home for $3.8 million

I always assumed "Rebel Girl" was about Jen.

8. TheJMan

Trusted

Yeah I think I'm pretty much over AVA, I just feel like Tom has been basically writing the same songs over and over again and his type of music just isn't for me anymore. From Love on they all just kind of blend to me. I think I liked a handful of songs off of Love Part 1 and maybe 2 songs off of Part 2. I can't remember a thing about Dream Walker except Wolf Pack and the chorus to BITW, I'm not sure I listened to it much after the first week it was released and really don't have a desire to go back and relisten to it.

I will still check out his music because I'll always be curious to see what he puts out but I just don't see myself liking another AVA album as a whole outside of a handful of songs.

9. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

You should give TDW another shot, it's now my favorite AVA album for sure and I wasn't that into it when it first came out.

10. TheJMan

Trusted

One of these days I'm going to force myself to go back and listen to the whole AVA discography, especially the EPs that I haven't heard yet. I really liked WDNTW and iEmpire a lot but can't remember the last time I listened to either in full (has to be 6 or 7 years) so I am curious to see how it holds up.

11. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

"Rebel Girl" is pretty small fry compared to the stuff on Dream Walker, imo

12. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Dream Walker is def the best thing he's done since I-Empire. There's at least 4 or 5 songs WAAAY better than Rebel Girl on it. I really don't care for the chorus of this one tbh. Hate the middle part where he sings "come come I wanna tell ya" or whatever he says

Not that I was listening to it often if ever but the music video probably ruined it even though it has nothing to do with the song lol

13. broken22

(:

The Rebel Girl video should have had a cute ending tbh.

14. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I just can't get into Rebel Girl that much. It's a fun song, but Tom's verse vocals are a bit too oversung, and I think he just sounds too old to pull off the cute/innocent love song. And the synth sounds are kinda cheesy & 80's to me.

That being said, I'm starting to hear it on my local Alternative Station, Go 96.3, a bit because they're the promoter for AVA's winter show here, and I'm never mad to hear it. That chorus & bridge are phoenomenal.

Kross likes this.
  15. bluecharliedeltaecho

Regular

I love Rebel Girl. The video is weird though, I don’t know how to feel about it, unless we’re supposed to get some kind of creepy horror movie vibe from it? The shots of the band playing are cool though.

16. One of these things is a super gross sexist trope; one of these is not.

17. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

Such a strange choice of video - doesn’t really fit the message of the song either. The couple / story from Menzingers “After the Party” would be the closer choice (please forgive me of even mentioning that absolute gem of a video in the same sentence as this shit show).

Probably reading into / giving it way too much credit, but was the “WTF?” stinger a First Date call back?

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  18. ZooZooChaCha

Trusted Supporter

19. johnthegawd

@theinsideoutband

shit guys. Looks like we have to cancel angels & airwaves now. Brb gonna throw all my merch in the trash and laser off this LOVE tattoo on my chest.

20. you'd be doing yourself a favor, i think. haha.

333 GANG likes this.
  21. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Sounds great

22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Pretty excited about new AVA. Rebel Girl rules. I hear it on the radio a lot.

23. Zeke

Regular

Sounds really good!

bluecharliedeltaecho and Kuri44 like this.
  24. manoverboard365

Trusted

I dig that clip!

Sounds like a juicy guitar riff is gonna kick in at the end. Excited to hear this!

25. tssf92

Stoked for the new song and their upcoming show in Detroit.

Kuri44 likes this.