Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Angels & Airwaves – “Spellbound” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. okaybrian

Song is awesome, but I miss the days when AVA could do a video without resorting to half-naked girls half their age dancing all over them...

Tom has so much lore to his name now, with multiple books, movies, animated shorts... but yet for the past few album cycles, the only thing they can come up with for music videos is objectifying women who could be their daughters? I find it a little weird.

3. Yellowcard2006 Sep 8, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2021)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

You're the first one I've seen mention this and I agree. I don't understand why this video needed a bunch of random women in lingerie. Makes it seem like the song is about a guy falling in love with strippers? Hard to tell exactly. Song lyrics are awful as well.

Musically I think it's pretty cool. Enjoying the mix of electronic elements and there's a decent hook in the verse.

4. Smee22

Regular

After the last two videos, I guess all hope is gone that these videos connect into some overarching story that was set up in the Kiss & Tell video.

I dig the song though, and still very excited for this release.

5. theredline

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

thechetearly likes this.
  6. Punkrocker

Wiping brings down the rainforest

I enjoyed the song for a change, but agree with all of the other comments... The whole girls in bikinis thing is a bit off color.

7. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

They look nice. Do you need more arguments than that?

Analog Drummer likes this.
  8. DannyZach

Trusted

Honestly,I can imagine hundreds of worse themes for music video than girls in bikinis..

9. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Sex sells. Not sure why it’s an issue now. But I’m not into the song and that’s a problem.

Analog Drummer and DannyZach like this.
  10. okaybrian

It's always been an issue, especially if you're female.

theredline likes this.
  11. thechetearly

Regular

Musically, it's good. Lyrically, it's bad. Music video...is bad. And I really, really still do not get why Tom has leaned so hard into his nasal / weird pronunciation thing. I wish someone would pull him aside and ask him to stop it Haha

12. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Sex sells for both men and women. I am female.

13. Always a trip to watch people be willfully obtuse about something I’m pretty confident they understand but are pretending not to.

14. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Tell him to stop singing the way he’s always sung? I don’t think that’s ever gonna happen!

15. thechetearly

Regular

It has gotten sooo much worse Hahaha

16. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Has it? I don’t know….I just listend to some I-Empire and it was definitely there. More than now? Maybe…but I think people need to give up on that piece of discussion. He does what he does. Doubt it’ll change!

thechetearly likes this.
  17. okaybrian

That's very true, but historically it's at the expense or detriment of women being reduced to sex objects in order to make money for men. That's the issue. Does that not... like... gross you out?

18. DannyZach Sep 10, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 10, 2021)
    DannyZach

Trusted

This starts to remind me “MaTT SkIbA iS nAzI” conversation

Ellamamama likes this.
  19. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Same gross as appropriating another culture or race in the music or film industry. That’s capitalism at its finest.

DannyZach likes this.
  20. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Its gotten worst simply because of the recording quality and mixing/mastering. Jerry Finn really heavily mixed and layered Mark and Tom and really really filtered both of them. Just listen to weatherman for Mark and Not Now or Start The Machine for Tom. Tbh I think Jerry mastered how to manipulate their vocals the best. Ever since they have both sounded absolutely awful minus a song or two here and there.

Lighthouse with Bert(the used) is the best Mark can sound and it’s piss poor compared to how Jerry could make him sound.

21. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Such critical people in here lol

JamesMichael and john343 like this.