Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Angels & Airwaves – “Kiss and Tell” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2019.

1. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I watched the video and he was definitely on the better end of things. Makes me wanna check this out if they come to MN at some point (I though I saw that they will)!

BG9352 likes this.
  2. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Funny because he joked in that video about only knowing/playing one chord progression!!!

3. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Haha well even in blink he always had very similar chord progressions and things, but somehow he made them work and sound unique. For some reason with AvA, he pretty regularly has melodies that sound specifically like other melodies he's already used. He's always used essentially the same songwriting basics, so I don't know why there wasn't as much overlap with blink songs.

4. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

They play Minnesota on December 12, but it is sold out.

5. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I think he’s just singing at a key that suits his deeper voice instead of trying to go higher. So it just sounds more natural and smooth. Huge improvement

mattylikesfilms and theredline like this.
  6. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Oh man! Is it?!?! I though I heard it was happening but didn’t know it already went on sale. I hate how shows go on sale months before they happen. I’m too old to keep up or plan that far ahead!

And it’s a First Ave. Great room to see them. I know some people that may be able to pull some strings. Time to work some contacts!

Daniel182 likes this.
  7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Without a doubt. Also, I just watched the Darkside video and couldn't make it past a minute. A video with kids doing stupid trendy dances? Too much cringe.

AllenRicketts and Raku like this.
  8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

5F085735-6B78-4714-8E15-1666F367CB07.gif

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  9. mattylikesfilms Aug 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2019)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Hahah am I though? I just don't want to see kids doing Fortnite dances in a Blink video. I think that is incredibly lame and this video will age terribly too lol

10. theredline

Trusted Supporter

You care too much. It’s a fun video with people having fun. All this hate makes no sense.
    And as much as I like both bands Blinks new songs have been better than AVAs. Rebel Girl is okay, not great.
    And the Blink video is a million times better than the Rebel Girl video.
    But in the end I’m looking forward to both albums. Should be fun.

slimfenix182 and Jason Tate like this.
  11. AllenRicketts

Regular

God damn this is good. I don't know if it was exposing the aliens or finally letting go of Blink but something reinvigorated Tom if these two songs are any measure. I'm so pumped for this album.

CMilliken and Raku like this.
  12. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

I think it's less about hate and more about dissatisfaction. The blink I remember was music videos like Stay Together For The Kids, All The Small Things, First Date... Now it seems like a gimmick Mark is riding on because Travis is so fuckin' good and Skiba can do what they need. I love Mark but I like him better doing dark stuff instead of bubblegummy blink.

Still loved California, not so much the part 2 stuff.

Raku likes this.
  13. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

[​IMG]

14. Allthegiganticthings

Regular

I have to agree... you cray. Lol. I’m 34, and blink was my first concert at age 15, payed attention ever since. They’re still fun to hear, and I saw them at the friends and family show recently. But part of what is cringy to me is any attempt at holding onto the past. I now have a child of my own and priorities obviously shift as a result. The darkside video is cool because it’s paying homage to a completely different generation, while poking fun at the ridiculous culture kids have with these dance moves, but in a nice way. Not expressed eloquently but I’m just saying this video was refreshing to me.

theredline likes this.
  15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I couldn’t (respectfully) disagree with you more on all this. Rebel Girl and Kiss and Tell are much better songs than Darkside and Blame It On My Youth IMO. Also, the Rebel Girl video isn’t some great video but do I think it’s a hell of a lot better than this? Without a doubt.

CMilliken, AllenRicketts and Raku like this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah I’m 32 and been a fan of Blink since Middle School as well. I’m not wanting Dude Ranch or Enema of the State again either. I liked the progression from their self titled and yes - Neighborhoods - so I’m not holding onto nostalgia.

I just think this video is cringe as hell (song is alright - Blame It On My Youth is a lot worse) and I don’t see them poking fun at anything here.

17. theredline

Trusted Supporter

6A415C7B-BADB-42CC-A129-74126BFB5E69.gif

18. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Opinions are just that. So we can both have ours.

But for real...Rebel Girl video is a pile of hot garbage. And you will never convince we otherwise. The topic is derivative and slightly misogynistic. Friend zone shit that can burn in hell.
    But hey, you do you.

19. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Yeah in all seriousness we're forgetting that the debate is about taste in musical frequencies.. Let's not become assholes over that. My last post was (checks timestamp) definitely an alcohol post haha.

Raku, theredline and mattylikesfilms like this.
  20. Zach

Trusted Supporter

The singles for Nine aren’t anything more than a step sideways and not a progression of any kind, unfortunately. The songs they’ve released are pretty boring so far. Definitely a disappointment after the promise of California.

These new AvA songs have at least displayed a refinement of what they’ve done and is a step in the right direction. The Rebel girl video was very bad though, I’m not gonna defend that lol.

That being said, the two songs are slightly better than okay, and I’m hoping for a rise in lyrical quality on the rest of the album. The lyrics in the new blink songs are pretty close to as bad, imo

21. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I read that in Ron Swanson's voice and I agree 100%.

Zach and theredline like this.
  22. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

[Verse 1]
    It’s a little red cherry
    When you bury
    Any evidence you got
    If you feel a bit shallow
    On the gallows
    Can we try a new gun shot?

[Pre-Chorus 1]
    Like when kids say, never say never
    Runnin’ blind with a pair of sharp scissors so-
    If I’m gonna go try this, alibi this
    We are innocent but lost

Idk, I just have no use for his lyrical style at this point and am not really getting hopes up for the rest. Musically it's fine, good guitar, but I'm not gonna lose my mind at a riff. His demo album had riffs too and yeah lol

23. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

It's definitely one of the best AVA songs post I-Empire anyways so I certainly understand why it's getting positive reaction though

Linton9488 likes this.
  24. mynamesgeneric

Regular

He's learned from Rivers Cuomo