Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

That doc is soul crushing. My brother also had leaukemka, and it's like being back in those hospital rooms.

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

3. JohnR831

Regular

I saw Andrew last night in Poughkeepsie. It was a fantastic show as always. He has such a positive presence and so much energy. I love seeing him there. He crowd-surfed to the bar to get a shot of jäger haha.

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Couldn't be more excited that I'm actually scheduled to go see this man live for the first time in my life. Andrew McMahon's music has played a very crucial role in my life. Starting with North and continuing on through AMitW.

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I keep forgetting to buy tickets for this tour. Gotta do that.

6. Mclusky30

I've been listening to Everything In Transit so much lately. It's just that time of year.

7. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

The fact that There, There Katie is a non-album track is a travesty.

Meerkat likes this.
  8. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i haven't heard that one! is that a JM song or AMITW?

also, High Dive has become a new fav off the self titled

9. airik625

Yeah not sure I've heard that one either, and I thought I had heard them all.

Anyhow, did anybody happen to snag a copy of the Canyons EP for Record Store Day?

10. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

It's on the Dear Jack Ep, there's a few tracks on there you probably haven't heard if you don't know this one.

11. airik625

Ah. If it's on there, then I know it. The title just didn't sound familiar, but I'm not good with track titles anyhow.

12. Craig Manning

Saw him last night, for one of his headlining shows on a night off from the Weezer/Panic tour. He seemed extremely excited to be playing a club instead of an outdoor amphitheater, haha. Also the first time I've seen him in a club venue, somehow. In the past, I've only caught him at outdoor venues. So this was a major treat. Setlist was nicely diverse across most of his projects, though he didn't touch North or People & Things at all.

JRGComedy and cshadows2887 like this.
  13. Paul Beaumont

I was just saying yesterday I really want him to come back to the UK soon. When he's over here he always just does solo shows on the piano and it's really great, taking requests and all has a great rapport with the audience.

14. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Not touching North at all is a bummer. I am so so happy I got to see him play She Paints Me Blue a couple years ago.

airik625 likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

Yeah, I would have liked to get a couple of those songs, but he only did three SoCo tunes at all (I think) so it wasn't all that surprising that he didn't go there. I'm more surprised he didn't touch P&T, because he played a fair number of songs off TGP. But I guess P&T isn't as popular among his fans. I think I've come around on that as my second favorite of his, though.

16. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

There's only two mistakes that I have made
    It's running from the people who could love me best
    And trying to fix a world that I can't change

That line makes me feel things. Not to mention the bridge in that song.

17. Craig Manning

Honestly one of the best songs he's ever written. I think the songwriting on the Wilderness level is pretty unanimously terrific, and a lot of those songs are among his best. I don't think I see a lot of hate for that album or anything, but it almost feels like it's underrated by virtue of not being a Jack's or SoCo record.

cshadows2887 and KidLightning like this.
  18. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

It's weird to me that an album which featured his biggest ever radio hit just seems to be so rarely a topic of discussion. I just don't remember seeing as much talk about it as I did for P&T when it came out, for example. I get it's different circumstances, but still. Wilderness is soooooo good.

19. AndrewSoup

took me a minute after it came out to really get into the Wilderness album. i'm glad i did cuz it's just fantastic from front to back. straight up pop hits all the way through

20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Wilderness album is unstoppable, amazing album

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. AndrewSoup

can't wait to hear what the next sounds like

22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

The only not-great song on Wilderness is "See Her On the Weekend"

23. Craig Manning

And P&T got less talk than TGP. I don't know if it's because he went more "pop" on those albums or what, but he definitely doesn't seem to get the same "scene hero" treatment he used to. Which is a shame, because he's one of the best songwriters the scene has ever produced, if not the best.

The new song he's playing on tour right now is terrific. One of his best hooks, and the performance of it is downright exuberant. He seems really, really happy at the moment, which is awesome to see.

Yep.

24. airik625

That Canyons EP is pretty sweet, too. Stripped down Andrew McMahon has always been my favorite.

KidLightning and irthesteve like this.
  25. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at hating on "See Her on the Weekend".

The run of "Black and White Movies" through "Halls" was a slight step down for me at first, but those grew on me a lot seeing them live.

Zac Djamoos likes this.