Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Andrew Ross McMahon (born September 3, 1982) is a singer/songwriter. He was the vocalist, pianist and primary songwriter for the bands Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin and performs solo both under his own name as well as moniker Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness. On April 30, 2013, he debuted his first solo work, entitled The Pop Underground, followed by his debut album Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, released October 14, 2014.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Oh shit I get to christen this one?

"And this thread was a thread just like any other"

sonder, Snewt, Meerkat and 1 other person like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I'll check out Everything in Transit per your recommendation once I finish my Springsteen binge... I'll post my thoughts in here I guess :)

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@beachdude42 I really, really think you should just go chronologically. It's a fun progression to hear in order.

beachdude42 likes this.
  5. beachdude

I like to give what people consider to be an artist's "best" work a listen first, so I can get a general idea of if they'll be my thing... but if I like what I hear I'll definitely go chronologically through all his projects.

6. Meerkat

That's fair. I just think a big part of what makes Andrew's body of work so special is that he's always been a very honest writer, so you really get to experience his journey both musically and emotionally right along side him. That's the biggest perk of going in order in my opinion.

beachdude42 likes this.
  7. beachdude

Makes sense... so I would start with the debut Something Corporate record then?

8. cshadows2887

Oh, to hear that for the first time again.

Ehhhhhhhh. I love Leaving Through the Window. But if you were going to convince someone who has never listened to convert, it's not the best selling point. It's got a couple of his most juvenile songs and is his most tied to a genre. A huge part of what makes that album still work (and it does) is investment in and love for Andrew

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

If that's the case, I would definitely start with Everything In Transit. Simply put, it's a great record.

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. beachdude

Yeah I'll probably do my traditional "most acclaimed work first" method... it's yet to lead me astray ;-)

11. Michael Schmidt

I really think Jack's is the best place to start with Andrew's work because it sits in the middle of his other projects. If you want more of a rock sound, go through the SoCo albums. If you want more of a current pop/synth sound, check out the Andrew EP and album.

beachdude42 likes this.
  12. Meerkat

That's a fair point.

Basically, just do it in any way as long as you do it haha

Michael Schmidt and beachdude42 like this.
  13. beachdude

Definitely will! I always like artists who have as much diversity as he seems to have.

14. Meerkat

Each one of his albums has a very distinct feeling and theme, so it's definitely a fun listen. I drove up to San Francisco to see the Everything In Transit 10 Year tour and I listened to his entire discography in chronological order on the way up. It was really cool to hear everything in context of each other.

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. Michael Schmidt

I think there is some diversity in the backdrop of his projects, but his songwriting has always stayed pretty consistent. I don't mean that in a way where it sounds like he hasn't grown at all. There is just a consistency in the feel of his works across the board, where you are like, "yep, that's an Andrew song" even though the guitars may be toned down and the keyboards brought to the forefront.

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This was my line of thinking when we were recommending a place to start earlier. I love LTTW too, but I'm glad I started with North, because I think something like "If You C Jordan" might have turned me off/delayed me in checking out his other stuff.

I feel this way too. I think it's the way he writes verses. There's something so effortless about it.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  17. Michael Schmidt

I actually did start with Window, but I was much younger, so it didn't bother me much and it was the Drive-Thru time. If I was discovering him post DT, it probably would have been a little hit and miss for me.

18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I listened to Leaving Through the Window shortly after North. Really liked most of it, but found it kind of bloated for a while. I think it's a great record; just one he eclipsed a bunch of times. Also always wished it had "Konstantine" on it.

19. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

North will probably always be my favorite Andrew album. It just hits me on multiple levels for every track.

20. Michael Schmidt

Some days Ruthless might be favorite Andrew song. North is such a strong record.

21. Greg

She Paints Me Blue is my main jam.

22. cshadows2887

There are days that it's my favorite song of his too

23. Meerkat

"Ruthless" is absolutely one of my favorites. "High Dive" has really cemented itself as one of my favorites as well.

Jason Tate and AndrewSoup like this.
  24. Greg

I am halfway with you. I do love Ruthless, but High Dive was my least fav off that album. At least we agree on Ruthless.

To move from North, I also adore Hey Hey Hey a lot. Also Miss California.

Meerkat likes this.
  25. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i watched "Dear Jack" for the first time the other night. Obviously i was very familiar with Andrews story already, but wow, what a film. i didnt know my admiration for Andrew could increase anymore, he is a legend.

Michael Schmidt likes this.