Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon New Jersey Drive In Shows Tour

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by TrailerParkJesus, Aug 5, 2020.

1. TrailerParkJesus

OG

Anyone going to these on August 24 or 25? I want the presale code, but the mailing list isnt emailing me back... can anyone help me out before the presale tomorrow morning?

2. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Check your PMs

3. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

got GA 2 for the first night! now to figure out a car situation...

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  4. TrailerParkJesus

OG

We got GA3, and our taking our son. Should be a ton of fun

5. TrailerParkJesus

OG

Since the concert will be broadcast through FM transmitters, I'm planning on playing it through an old boombox and using a cassette to record the show. Afterwards, if it sounds good and I'm able to convert the tape to MP3s, I'll post a link here.

6. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Doing the lord's work!

TrailerParkJesus likes this.
  7. heymattrick Aug 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 10, 2020)
    heymattrick

Sending my love

Did the OC Drive In shows have the requirement for attendees to stay in their vehicles? I see that the upcoming New Jersey ones say that everyone needs to stay in their car, so I'm wondering if the OC ones had the same notification (because i can see from videos that people did not stay in their car).

I'm going to a Drive In Show in Philly next month and it says we're supposed to stay in the vehicle, but I'm curious if that's going to be enforced.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer! The Drive In OC website says that you were permitted to have lawn chairs or blankets in the "open" space next to your car.

jlinitz and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I'm also going to a drive in show in Philly this weekend and it says we have to stay in the car. I couldn't find anything that says otherwise. I imagine its going to be pretty tough for my friends in the backseat to see the stage so thats a bummer. Hoping we find a workaround lol

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Just saw the price of GA and had a good laugh. Wouldn't be worth it in my tiny ass car.

11. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

If I were to go, I’d definitely rent a pickup truck so I could sit in the back in my lounge chair haha

Brent likes this.
  12. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

So much for that “stay in your car” rule?
    At least it looks like most folks stayed in their sections. Interested in hearing about how it went for folks who were there!

Attached Files:

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

was staying in your car an legitimate rule? i'm not overly bothered by what that picture shows, it does look like folks who came together are staying together/away from others.

14. heymattrick

Sending my love

It did specifically say you had to stay in your car in the FAQ for the Andrew McMahon Jersey shows, while for the West Coast shows I believe they specifically allowed you to use your extra parking space as a "tailgate" area.

I went to the AJR Drive-In show in Philadelphia last Wednesday, and all the pre-show materials stated you had to remain in your vehicle for the show, and could only leave when going to the restroom (while wearing a mask of course). We were spaced out every other parking space, so you had 8.5 feet in between you and the car next to you. They did come around once before the show started to remind everyone you couldn't have "feet on the ground", but if you had a hatchback, or a pickup truck bed, you could sit in that, or stick your head through a sunroof (but no lawn chairs, blankets, or standing on the concrete). However, once the show started, I stood on the ground right outside my door for the entire show and nobody said anything. Everyone was well distanced and staying safe, so I don't think there was a problem. I think they're being overly cautious testing the waters so they can continue to do the drive in shows.

The biggest problem I had with my show is there were no actual speakers, all the sound was through your radio, and it just wasn't loud enough even at full volume to hear just outside the car with all the windows down. Then again, that was probably to encourage people to stay inside the car.

theasteriskera and Sean Murphy like this.
  15. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Did AJR pull out any cool tricks? They're so much fun live, I'd imagine they try to make this situation as unique as possible

16. heymattrick

Sending my love

Surprisingly, no. I thought they would bring their Neotheater Tour production, but they did their pretty standard set with no production besides lights. They did play a brand new song (getting released next week), and they did their cover of All Star by Smash Mouth. But otherwise was a standard setlist plus the live debut of Bang. They have a new trumpet player and she killed it!

theasteriskera likes this.
  17. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Why would anyone ever want to cover not just All Star, but anything by Smash Mouth?

18. heymattrick

Sending my love

If Smash Mouth hadn't revealed themselves to be such douche nozzles over the past couple years, I'd say covering All Star would be a pretty...All Star...move.

19. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Dang, that is kind of a bummer, but I'm sure it was still a *bang*

heymattrick likes this.
  20. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

I went! There was a security guy that came around after you pulled in that said it was ok to be on top if your car and then pointed out where the port a potties were (mask is mandatory after you leave your parking space). I definitely felt like there was enough space between cars and from what I saw everyone was following the rules. There was a little merch car that drove around selling t-shirts, signed posters & EIT masks. It was pretty cool! This was basically the only thing I've done all summer lol it felt incredible. Truly will never forget this show

21. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

I love the merch car idea. I loved the poster and wish I could snag one :(

jlinitz likes this.
  22. heymattrick

Sending my love

Honestly, with a few kinks worked out, I wouldn't mind drive in concerts still being a thing post-COVID. It was actually pretty nice to have a "spot", being able to sit inside your car when the band wasn't playing. The sightlines were pretty good, and the audio (if only a little louder) was mixed very well. Plus, you only need a parking lot to put it on.

Also, they literally did merch & food delivery right to your car. You could order merch and food from your phone, enter your space number, and they had little golf carts driving around dropping merch & food off. Sign my ass up for that.