Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Zombies on Broadway (February 10, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by duritzfan13, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

1 being the intro or 1 being "Brooklyn"?

I love every track except the intro (which feels superfluous even as far as intros are concerned) and "Shot out of a Cannon."

2. I really like how this closes. "Love and Great Buildings" is an early favorite, and "Birthday Song" is a really nice note to end on.

3. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

1 being the intro.

4. Craig Manning

You don't like "So Close"? I feel like that one is closer to his previous stuff than something like "Don't Speak for Me."

5. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

yeah I can't get into it at all for some reason.

6. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

This works really well as an album. I could see a few of these songs being pretty big if pushed correctly.

7. WhosBroden?

Regular Prestigious

Listened to this on my run and thought it was pleasant enough without being all that memorable. Maybe it was the wrong setting for a first listen.

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good first listen, another win for Andrew!

9. mationation

I think God's a painter

birthday song i am crying

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Crucial question as someone who doesn't do leaks:

Those of you loving the album, how did you feel about the pre-release songs?

11. Craig Manning

I liked all of them except for "Don't Speak for Me" (which I like more in context), but "Walking in My Sleep" is the only one I'd put among my top three tracks from the record.

I'd honestly be pretty shocked if you didn't enjoy this record.

KidLightning likes this.
  12. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

That's good to hear. I stopped listening to the pre-release songs after Walking In My Sleep. I'd say that's the only one I loved.

13. cshadows2887

Honestly I was pretty terrified that this would be the one where he failed for me. I really do not enjoy "Brooklyn". And one of the other advance tracks I heard was just solid.

14. Craig Manning

I know a lot of people don't like "Brooklyn," but it really works for me as the opener and "mission statement" for the record. But the last three tracks are the three best songs on the album.

KidLightning likes this.
  15. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I'm not huge on "Island Radio", but "Love and Great Buildings" is just . . . wow. If someone asked me why I liked Andrew McMahon, I honestly think I would just play them that song. "Birthday Song" is great too, I wasn't sure about it after my first listen (I think in part because I was so floored by L&GB) but it's grown on me after a few more listens.

16. Craig Manning

Whoops, I was thinking "Walking in My Sleep" was third to last. I like "Island Radio," but I wouldn't put it in the top tier. "Love and Great Buildings" is pretty much just everything he does best, though.

KidLightning likes this.
  17. mationation

I think God's a painter

i like all the songs on the record outside of don't speak for me and shot out of a cannon (and even those have elements that i enjoy) but walking in my sleep + love and great buildings + birthday song are fucking magic.

sobbing on my porch during the last chorus of birthday song as the personal collided with the transcendent is something i'll remember for a long time

18. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like "Don't Speak for Me (True)" is going to be one of the biggest songs of 2017.

airik625 and KidLightning like this.
  19. Basically about where I am on the entire album.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  20. quietwords

You were a fan of the last one, right? Was this one in line with your expectations for it? Guess I'm phrasing that odd. Sorry. Ignore me.

21. I was. (Only thing I never really liked was that EP.) I think so. I had pretty high expectations, and this is about as good as I was expecting it to be. Gonna be playing it for quite a while.

Craig Manning likes this.
  22. quietwords

Same, was never a fan of the EP. Thanks for the input. My expectations have been sort of low since Brooklyn was released. Still though, I'm looking forward to this. It's hard not to. Been listening since 2001. Sang onstage with him on the EIT tour. Always rooting for Andrew.

23. cshadows2887

Ugh don't wanna wait til Fridaaaaaaaaaay

quietwords likes this.
  24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I like the chorus to Brooklyn but the verses are just...nah. So close and don't speak for me and fire escape should all be massive singles. Love and great buildings is absolutely making my best of 2017 playlist.

KidLightning likes this.
  25. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

For some reason I want to say I don't like it but my foot just keeps on tapping.